Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #811
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch

I believe the POR pool is open 24hrs but after the lifeguards get off it is at your own risk.
I have gone to the quiet pools many times in the middle of the night. When I go solo, I refrain from swimming for obvious reasons and prefer just to dangle my legs over the side. It is the best.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #812
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamattorney
I called the front desk twice: once they were very helpful and the other time it was as if the call was outsourced to someone completely unfamiliar with the resort.
That's because you weren't talking to the front desk. You were talking to someone at a call center most likely not even in Orlando. The only way to speak to the front desk is to go down there. This is just how it is at all WDW resorts. I understand why you called but just wanted to explain why the one CM sounded unfamiliar with PORs layout.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #813
rms123
DIS Veteran

A couple of questions:
1. We are coming in July 3 and have booked a RR. My only request is a connecting room to the grandparents. The travel agent put that on the reservation - is it still advisable to fax?

2. I know s'more kits aren't available at the campfire, but can you buy the makings at the resort store?

3. Can you tell me more about fishing? Hours? Easy to catch something? DD4 is super excited about this.

4. From the pictures it looks like POFQ pool is a lot more fun with the dragon and all. Is it just the pictures? How long is the walk there if we want to check it out?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #814
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
A couple of questions:
1. We are coming in July 3 and have booked a RR. My only request is a connecting room to the grandparents. The travel agent put that on the reservation - is it still advisable to fax?

2. I know s'more kits aren't available at the campfire, but can you buy the makings at the resort store?

3. Can you tell me more about fishing? Hours? Easy to catch something? DD4 is super excited about this.

4. From the pictures it looks like POFQ pool is a lot more fun with the dragon and all. Is it just the pictures? How long is the walk there if we want to check it out?

Thanks!
I can address 1 and 4:

Yes, faxing 4 or 5 days before you arrive is a good idea just to remind them and let them know what you would like. Remember it is a request, not a given.

I visited both pools earlier this year and while the POFQ pool is much cooler looking from a distance, with the colorful dragon, I liked the POR pool better. It is on an island with shade trees and the slide is really cool, but somewhat hidden, so it is not as impressive looking. Both pools are cool and unlike other resorts, because they are considered one resort you can use both pools no matter where you stay.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #815
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I should add we are facing the parking lot; I am looking on the wrong side.
Ah, so are you saying that the map was right but you'd got the plan (or the resort! ) upside-down, or is my plan still wrong about the location of your room number? (If the former, I wonder if some extra annotation for the direction of the river and/or parking lot might help?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittz View Post
New question. For Preplanning purposes what is considered a weekend and what is considered a weekday at Disney. Do they count Friday as a weekend as I know some hotels do.
Friday and Saturday nights are considered as weekend rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamattorney View Post
I couldn't find a map in the room that labeled where the ice machine was or if we had to get ice from mousekeeping.
I must admit that I thought that the ice machine locations were listed on the building plan on the back of the doors, but I guess not. The call center was technically correct in that all of the AB lodges have their ice machines located in the facilities block right in middle of the two building segments - but when you're actually on the ground it's hard to see quite how those two blocks are laid out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
Thank you. Does anyone know what that fourth option is? Thanks
There are three floor options listed - so Corner, Ground Floor, Second Floor and Upper Floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I have stayed at gf and the pool was open 24 hours is this the same for por?
The main pool is meant to close at midnight and re-open at 7am, but I've seen people swimming a lot later than that (and never seen anyone swimming at 7am, staff are usually cleaning the pool around then). As has been said, lifeguard/slide hours are 10am-8pm/10pm. The quiet pools are effectively 24 hours, even if the signs say 7am-midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
1. We are coming in July 3 and have booked a RR. My only request is a connecting room to the grandparents. The travel agent put that on the reservation - is it still advisable to fax? Never does any harm, what have you got to lose?

2. I know s'more kits aren't available at the campfire, but can you buy the makings at the resort store? No, I don't think so any more. You get free marshmallows to roast though.

3. Can you tell me more about fishing? Hours? Easy to catch something? DD4 is super excited about this. See www.portorleans.org/recreation.php#Fishing

4. From the pictures it looks like POFQ pool is a lot more fun with the dragon and all. Is it just the pictures? How long is the walk there if we want to check it out? The POFQ pool is about 10 minutes walk away - but don't be fooled by the POR slide, it's twice as long as the POFQ one (although no serpent theming) and it's faster too.
Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 06-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #816
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123
A couple of questions:

Thanks!
We traveled with grandparents as well. We faxed requesting connecting rooms, close to the main building and 2nd floor. We were extremely happy. We booked RR garden view.

My 4 and almost 6 year olds loved the POR slide.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #817
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

I need help on my request. We are in a RR but want to shorten our walk to the lobby, food, etc..as much as possible. So, would it make sense if I requested a room that is close to the bridge? Or does this not work with the lay out of the building? I am assuming I would need to request ground floor also? Is this kind of request going to make any difference in our walking amount? I think we have garden view, how might this effect my request?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #818
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniels16 View Post
We are in a RR but want to shorten our walk to the lobby, food, etc..as much as possible. So, would it make sense if I requested a room that is close to the bridge?
Keep it simple, just request a room "as close as possible to the main building" if that's what you want. Ground floor probably won't make too much difference to walking times to be honest (there are stairways at the end of the buildings anyway) and might limit some otherwise good rooms.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #819
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

Keep it simple, just request a room "as close as possible to the main building" if that's what you want. Ground floor probably won't make too much difference to walking times to be honest (there are stairways at the end of the buildings anyway) and might limit some otherwise good rooms.

Andre
This helps me a lot, thank you!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #820
Dittz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I wonder if some extra annotation for the direction of the river and/or parking lot might help?

Yes this would help (speaking from experience) as I had printed out your maps before and was trying to figure out rooms between 2 buildings when I finally realized I was looking at the buildings upside down....

Quote:
Friday and Saturday nights are considered as weekend rates.
Thank you this is helpful. Thinking of adding another night, now I can decide if I want it at the start or end of our vacation
2010 - Son's 5th Birthday trip to WDW - 1st time staying on site

Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #821
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Hey Andre, I looked at your plan upside down.

Quite frankly, as an architect, I can tell you when I click on the building, the plan felt in reverse, but I did not realize it until I got here and looked for the room.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #822
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnyless in Seattle
Question about the fold down Murphy beds in Alligator Bayou: Has anyone used one with a toddler? Our DD (3) just moved into a regular bed at home from a crib and moves around a bunch in her sleep. We've found her on the floor in the middle of the night several times, though strangely, never heard crying. (She's pretty tough.) I'm a little nervous, though, about these beds. I know you can request bed rails, but even with those, I feel like she might just scootch her way off the end and land on her head. I guess we could put pillows down though... Just curious if anyone had any experience with it.
You can request bed rails from the front desk so that would keep your DD from falling off.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #823
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Hey Andre, I looked at your plan upside down.

Quite frankly, as an architect, I can tell you when I click on the building, the plan felt in reverse, but I did not realize it until I got here and looked for the room.
Thanks for the info. If you of all people managed to read the map upside-down then I definitely need to make them clearer. I'll look into adding some navigation annotations to the next versions.

I tried to keep all the maps broadly similar - the FQ and the Magnolia Bend ones all have the riverfront at the top of the maps for example, and the AB ones try to keep the top side as the northern-most face of the building (although that's not so easy due to the more varied layout of AB).

Andre

Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #824
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I doubt this was due to the remoteness of the building, you should get the same level of service in any building. I assume you reported it to management at the time, as there's not much that can be done about it after the event?

The cleanliness issue is the biggest one, things like lack of towel animals (which are meant to be a nice surprise if you happen to get one) and the housekeeper not speaking English are not really things they can do much about (or don't feel they need to do much about in the latter case).

Andre
The room was left dirty. No towel animals wasn't be biggest issue. Not speaking English was a big issue as I tried to ask her To push back night table, Try to ask her to clean out the garbage pail, tried to ask her to leave more shampoo. Having to call the front desk for every issue is annoying the cleaning staff should speak English.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #825
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132 View Post

The room was left dirty. No towel animals wasn't be biggest issue. Not speaking English was a big issue as I tried to ask her To push back night table, Try to ask her to clean out the garbage pail, tried to ask her to leave more shampoo. Having to call the front desk for every issue is annoying the cleaning staff should speak English.
We do love the Port Orleans French quarter we were just disappointed the last two visits with mouse keeping keeping in building seven

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: