Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #796
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1
For those who stay at POR regularly, do you find that they are sticklers about the check-in time? (is that 3pm or 4pm? - I can't remember.) Or are they pretty good about getting you into your room when you arrive?

Our flight gets in around 10am and based on past experience, I expect we'll be at the resort by noon. Do you think there is a good chance that we'll be able to get in our room upon arrival?

We've stayed at POFQ, CBR and YC in the past and CBR was the only one where they really stuck to the check-in time. It was fairly frustrating because while I know I could leave our bags with bell services, I am not overly comfortable doing so.
It all depends on how full the resort is so it's hard to say. It's not the resort sticking to the check in time, it's how quickly they can turn the room over.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #797
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1
For those who stay at POR regularly, do you find that they are sticklers about the check-in time? (is that 3pm or 4pm? - I can't remember.) Or are they pretty good about getting you into your room when you arrive?

Our flight gets in around 10am and based on past experience, I expect we'll be at the resort by noon. Do you think there is a good chance that we'll be able to get in our room upon arrival?

We've stayed at POFQ, CBR and YC in the past and CBR was the only one where they really stuck to the check-in time. It was fairly frustrating because while I know I could leave our bags with bell services, I am not overly comfortable doing so.
You can check in at 6 am when the computers roll over. A room can be available that early, but it may not suit your requests.

A room can be available as early as noon, but it may or may not suit your requests. If it is a busy check out day, you might have to wait a bit longer. For instance, I usually check in the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and I would rather wait until 1 pm for a room that meets my requests.

With the new computer system, they can release rooms earlier. It is not about them sticking to check in time, it is the availability, how busy the resort is and how much you want a room suits your requests.

The only really long wait would be for a DVC 2 or 3 bedroom villa, which take long to clean.

Also, if you are using ME, why not let them handle your bags. Whether you use ME or leave your bags with guest services, both are very safe.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #798
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04

I think you should switch your reservation to Preferred Room since you are wanting buildings 14 or 15. I booked a Preferred Room and am hoping for building 14 or 15. I would be pretty upset if I found out they gave my room away to someone who booked for Pool View.. because when I booked, I did my research on current room categories, and chose the appropriate category to start with. Not trying to be rude, just honest.
I think that is the most appropriate way of putting it. I think they do not quite have the concept those rooms are an actual booking category; it is irrelevant that they are the same cost.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #799
webstah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post

We go down every September and get to the resort between 11 am and 12 pm. In 10 trips, we have only not had our room ready twice, and one time, we hadn't even made it out ot the main building before we had a text with our room number. Only once did we not get the room until after we hit a park. We just dropped our luggage off at Bell services and picked it up later.
That being said, though Disney will try to get you in your room as soon as possible, there are a lot of things that determine availablity. Room category (We've typically just book standard with connecting rooms if possible) how busy the time of year you go, do you want connecting or adjoining rooms, require first floor for disability reasons, etc...
So yes, there is a chance you could get your room right away, but it is not guaranteed.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Last edited by webstah; 06-18-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #800
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Andre - you have the general placement correct of the stairs, vending, and sidewalks.

However, the room numbers are incorrect. I.E., you have our room as 8511, and it is actually 8611. Funny, I was looking for our room number and it was not on the map. I almost went back to check in to see if they made a mistake, but we plodded along and found it.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #801
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Andre - you have the general placement correct of the stairs, vending, and sidewalks.

However, the room numbers are incorrect. I.E., you have our room as 8511, and it is actually 8611. Funny, I was looking for our room number and it was not on the map. I almost went back to check in to see if they made a mistake, but we plodded along and found it.
Oops, I'll have to check that. It's all based on calculated and lookup fields, so it SHOULD be right, maybe I messed up a calculation somewhere?

[Odd, 8511 looks correct on the map. The Magnolia Terrace ground floor rooms should be numbered 8501-8612, with 8501 and 8612 being either side of the elevator passageway, facing toward the parking-lot). 8611 should be the next one along from 5612. I'll check more against other sources when I get home]

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 06-18-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #802
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
We returned from POR on Thursday and today I received an email survey from the resort. Is this a common thing, or do you think we received it due to the housekeeping concerns we had? It was very detailed and allowed for feedback regarding the check in process, rooms, food court, shops, transportation, housekeeping, and recreation. I felt glad that I was given the opportunity to provide detailed and honest feedback. It makes me feel like they care about making changes to reflect the needs of their guests
We got a survey about POR after our last vacation. It asked a lot of questions, and I was able to specify each tiny problem we had with our visit. We got feedback afterwards, and they apologized about a few things. It was kinda awesome. It made me feel better.

When we stayed at All Star Movies two years ago, we had several annoyances. We never got a survey, so I contacted Disney direct about it and explained what we experienced. They apologized profusely and wanted more specifics so corrective action could be taken.

And don't take it the wrong way....we're not the "Negative Nancy" complaining type. There were just several things at ASM that ruined Disney Magic for us for a few minutes.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #803
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post

(I must have the early morning sillies. I literally laughed out loud.)
I did too....lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #804
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

Oops, I'll have to check that. It's all based on calculated and lookup fields, so it SHOULD be right, maybe I messed up a calculation somewhere?

[Odd, 8511 looks correct on the map. The Magnolia Terrace ground floor rooms should be numbered 8501-8612, with 8501 and 8612 being either side of the elevator passageway, facing toward the parking-lot). 8611 should be the next one along from 5612. I'll check more against other sources when I get home]

Andre
I should add we are facing the parking lot; I am looking on the wrong side.

Last edited by Missytara; 06-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #805
Dittz
Mouseketeer

New question. For Preplanning purposes what is considered a weekend and what is considered a weekday at Disney. Do they count Friday as a weekend as I know some hotels do.
2010 - Son's 5th Birthday trip to WDW - 1st time staying on site

Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #806
mamattorney
Earning My Ears

We just got back from a 6 night stay and had a great time.

We are a family of 5, so knew we would be in AB. We had a pool view reservation. I sent a fax requesting a first floor room close to the main building, with building 18 as our first choice and 16 as our second choice. We received room 1624, a first floor corner (so nice because we didn't even ask!) room.

The room was a good size for our family and our 10 year old (probably about 4ft 7in or 8in) slept fine on the alligator bed. Her only complaint was that the bed was in direct line with the air conditioner so that she was often really cold when she woke up.

The bus service was generally great. We never waited long at Riverside for a bus, but leaving the parks at peak times often resulted in a long enough line that we would have to wait for a second or third bus to come because there were just so many people. We ate dinner at Downtown Disney three times: we were able to take the boat to Downtown Disney once and back all three times. The other two times the boats weren't running due to lightning in the area. I loved the boat rides.

Food court was crowded, but the food was tasty. When my kids were given the choice of eating lunch at the park before our afternoon break or leaving a little earlier and eating at the Riverside food court, they chose eating at the food court. The lines at certain stations could get really long - especially the grill.

I called the front desk twice: once they were very helpful and the other time it was as if the call was outsourced to someone completely unfamiliar with the resort. I couldn't find a map in the room that labeled where the ice machine was or if we had to get ice from mousekeeping, so I called and said - I'm in room 1624, can you tell me where I can find the closest ice machine - and she just said - "they are at the junction of two buildings". Since I had just arrived, this made no sense to me, so I tried to ask more specific questions and this is all they kept repeating -the ice machines are located at the junction of two buildings. It was as if the person was reading off of a card or something. I finally just went outside and picked a direction and found a sign that directed me to the ice machine. The other time it seemed like a regular hotel - they called me by name and answered my question, etc.

One thing that I don't like (and this is not the fault of the resort) is that you cannot look at your current charges on the TV. That seems pretty normal these days. I know you can walk to the registration desk and get a print out, but not only is that a hassle, it is not very environmentally friendly.

We barely took advantage of all the resort had to offer - we swam in the pool, but that's about it. We were never around for the campfires, fishing, carriage rides or anything else which is too bad because the resort has a lot to offer. We would stay again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #807
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Are the pools 24 hours?

I have stayed at gf and the pool was open 24 hours is this the same for por?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #808
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISfunctional View Post
Just did it this morning was offered corner room, ground floor, top floor, and there was one other option I can't remember. You could choose two of the four options
Thank you. Does anyone know what that fourth option is? Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #809
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I have stayed at gf and the pool was open 24 hours is this the same for por?
I believe the POR pool is open 24hrs but after the lifeguards get off it is at your own risk.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #810
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I believe the POR pool is open 24hrs but after the lifeguards get off it is at your own risk.
Ok great thanks

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: