Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #676
Missytara
I'm all ears!

So I am checking in for the last time, before leaving tomorrow night for the big drive from DE.

I decided to take tomorrow off, to get some last minute things done at home - we also have a wicked storm coming today - and I might have to call a contractor in the morning for some repairs.

We should be arriving something around 10:00 am or so on Saturday. We are rotating two drivers all through the night - on nothing but adrenalin and the fact that after two years of planning - we are on our way.

I hope to bump into a few people - and I cannot wait to see Todd at the lounge. I am sure I will be ready for a glass of wine the first night.

Wishing everyone safe travels that is going to check-in this weekend! Hope to see you there.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #677
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
This is not popular to state but Mousekeepers are not a tipped position, if you want to tip, some leave daily tips because your room attendant may change during your stay..$1-2 per person per day.

We always tip our bellhop/driver based on the pieces of luggage we have, usually $5. Tip is already added in for room service...I have tipped in the past for room cleaning service (honestly from the fact I would be perceived as inconsiderate), but do not plan on tipping this upcoming trip..the crazy rate for hotel prices also include the higher pay rates they receive over tipped positions...they do not change sheets daily, we leave our room neat, and in this economy, free dining no longer including the tip, any extra goes to tips for servers which are considered tipped positions. Just being honest.
Amen.

I usually tip in the beginning, and then the service turns out to be total crap. (Housekeeping) We seem to have had a lot of trouble with them at Disney resorts.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #678
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
I just realized that I haven't stayed in a hotel in literally 15 years! Can someone refresh me on tipping etiquette please? I thought the tip was left at the end of the stay for housekeeping, not day by day? And how much per day?

Also we are planning on carrying our own bags. Will a bellman (bellwoman?) show us to our room anyway? Do we tip if we carry our own bags? If so, how much?
Room tips are generally considered to be around $1 per person/night, but from Disney's point of view it is "Tipping Optional" (i.e. they won't refuse it, but shouldn't expect it either). We always try to tip daily, as the regular maid could be off-shift on the day you leave.

If you carry your own bags, they generally won't send anyone with you (they have hundreds of checkins a day) they'll just show you where your room is on a map.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #679
brian95
Mouseketeer

we tipped $5 a day they were great. towel animals every day extra shampoo my 4 year old slept in the fold down bed and wanted another blaket so we gave her one off the other beds mousekeeping saw this and left us another blanket. maybe we were just luckey
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #680
ahaney
Earning My Ears

Oh eeek! In less than 24 hours we will be checking in for our first visit to POR! 😃
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #681
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

I hate to contribute to another tedious discussion of tipping, but we forgot to tip our first morning. We got a towel animal. We tipped $5 for the five days after, and got one more towel animal. We definitely had different housekeepers every day. It really is luck.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #682
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaney View Post
Oh eeek! In less than 24 hours we will be checking in for our first visit to POR!
I have one thing to say... L U C K Y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
I hate to contribute to another tedious discussion of tipping, but we forgot to tip our first morning. We got a towel animal. We tipped $5 for the five days after, and got one more towel animal. We definitely had different housekeepers every day. It really is luck.
Oddly, we had the same mousekeeper for our whole week. I thought, doesn't she get a day off? I don't think that's customary.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #683
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
I have one thing to say... L U C K Y!

Oddly, we had the same mousekeeper for our whole week. I thought, doesn't she get a day off? I don't think that's customary.
How do you know who your mousekeeper is?

Ft. Wilderness April 2015 Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #684
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
How do you know who your mousekeeper is?
We saw her. She was on our floor. We said hello to her. My DD lost a tooth and had some blood on the pillowcase. She came back the next day and checked on her. She was very sweet.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #685
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

MICKEY MAIL IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we're 37 days out!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #686
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
We saw her. She was on our floor. We said hello to her. My DD lost a tooth and had some blood on the pillowcase. She came back the next day and checked on her. She was very sweet.
Wow, that was so nice! And what a special memory, to lose a tooth at DisneyWorld!

Ft. Wilderness April 2015 Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #687
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Room placement question...

How likely is it that 2 adults who booked a Standard View room will be placed in the AB section? I'm assuming since that is the only section that sleeps 5 they would be more inclined to give that area to larger parties??

I am not one to put in room requests, I'm sure I would be happy with either section. I just really love the look of the Mansions, and I'm asking purely out of curiosity just to have a general idea
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #688
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea817
Room placement question...

How likely is it that 2 adults who booked a Standard View room will be placed in the AB section? I'm assuming since that is the only section that sleeps 5 they would be more inclined to give that area to larger parties??

I am not one to put in room requests, I'm sure I would be happy with either section. I just really love the look of the Mansions, and I'm asking purely out of curiosity just to have a general idea
Rare, especially if they are busy. I would still put in a request for mansions.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #689
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Disney Florist will be able to have access to the room once it shows up on the computer as available.

It is not like they have to go to the front desk, like if you use an off-site services Like Memories by Betsy. They all work for the same person and most likely have a master key card to get in all of the resort rooms.

Just like where I work, in facilities management, we have 24/7 access to all of our buildings to gain access by master key card.
Great, thanks. I feel better. This is going to be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymaddness View Post
We were just there in May. We checked into our room and went to Epcot. When we got back the room had been decorated and a gift left (it was Mother's Day). My husband said that he just had to text Disney florist the room number. It was great!!
Awesome, this is what I want to achieve. TWICE! Once for our 30th anniversary and a few days later her birthday.

And thanks
webstah,
I couldn't quote your post for some reason. No alcohol needed so I will be good to go!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #690
JinxedSydney
Lurker Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Just a forewarning, you might want to bring a sound machine. That's what we did and I am so glad we did! The AC unit in the room is really loud and if you're late sleepers you will definitely have kiddos running by your window, excited to start their day!
I have to laugh at this. Our first trip to WDW, almost 6 years ago, we were delayed on flights into Orlando. We ended up FINALLY getting into our room around 1:30 am.

At 6 am, my husband whispered to me as I was peeking out of our window (Wilderness Lodge), "What are you doing?!?!"

I ran and jumped up and down on our bed and whispered back, "I'm so excited! We're in Disney World!" Yes, a nap later that afternoon was perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: