Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #631
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

So I've booked a preferred room and to my understanding those are only in AB. I looked at some pics online of AB rooms and am a bit concerned with my choice. I see a very bare bones, no frills, no decor, rough and rugged looking room. This is not my idea of a Disney Resort room. Do all the rooms in AB look like this? I realize I'm in a moderate hotel but I've seen value rooms that look better than this. Yikes, I had my heart set on the amenities at POR....any thoughts?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #632
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post
So going from preferred to RR would be considered a downgrade to Disney?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great Disney does these random acts of kindness! I just wouldn't be as happy about that as someone else would be.
The RRs are more $ then the preferred.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #633
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post

The RRs are more $ then the preferred.
Right. That's why I was confused the pp said a RR would be a downgrade.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #634
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniels16 View Post
So I've booked a preferred room and to my understanding those are only in AB. I looked at some pics online of AB rooms and am a bit concerned with my choice. I see a very bare bones, no frills, no decor, rough and rugged looking room. This is not my idea of a Disney Resort room. Do all the rooms in AB look like this? I realize I'm in a moderate hotel but I've seen value rooms that look better than this. Yikes, I had my heart set on the amenities at POR....any thoughts?
Well you can always go to www.portorleans.org, that is Andre's Site and he has the most up to date room pictures of all the rooms since the refurb.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #635
luvmylatte
Mouseketeer

We have booked a Garden View room at POR. Where can spect that area to be? Does each bldg. have a garden view portion? We stayed in AB a few years ago and loved it.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #636
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylatte
We have booked a Garden View room at POR. Where can spect that area to be? Does each bldg. have a garden view portion? We stayed in AB a few years ago and loved it.
The first page has the building maps with all the room categories.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #637
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniels16
I believe you are looking at photos before the refurb; I actually love AB decor as much as the mansions now.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #638
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

Ok, so I called the Dis line and spoke to a cm. She said that the decor I was looking at was the old decor. I just couldn't get the royal rooms out of my head and I was able to change to one for about $12 more per night. Call me snob but I just really wanted that magical Disney look for our first trip and probably our only trip for the next 5 yrs....thinking it will take us that long before we can fathom spending this kind of money on a vaca again!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #639
illuminatedillusions
Earning My Ears

I booked a standard room as I'm not fussy about views or being anywhere in particular as I'm just happy to be going to Florida again!

When booking, I asked for any room in the highest floor possible (I think I went on for a while to the person I was booking with about my bad luck with ground floor rooms and she thought I was nuts!) and in the mansions as they would be close to POFQ (my friends are staying there).

If I don't get them, then I'm happy to be in Disney!

EDIT: and for anyone wondering none of my ground floor issues happened in Florida, but I got burgled, a fire started in room next to me and someone who was checking out the same day as me took my suitcase with them by accident as they thought it was their room in Europe so....odd times!
Sept 2014 - Solo at Cabana Bay Beach
Spring 2015 - Solo at Disneyland Paris
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #640
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedillusions View Post
I booked a standard room as I'm not fussy about views or being anywhere in particular as I'm just happy to be going to Florida again!

When booking, I asked for any room in the highest floor possible (I think I went on for a while to the person I was booking with about my bad luck with ground floor rooms and she thought I was nuts!) and in the mansions as they would be close to POFQ (my friends are staying there).

If I don't get them, then I'm happy to be in Disney!

EDIT: and for anyone wondering none of my ground floor issues happened in Florida, but I got burgled, a fire started in room next to me and someone who was checking out the same day as me took my suitcase with them by accident as they thought it was their room in Europe so....odd times!
Well unfortunately if you want to be in the mansions and not be in a royal room you will be just as far away as the AB area.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #641
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Just booked our very first POR stay today for 8/30-9/2!! I'm so excited & love this thread!

Question for those who have recently returned from POR, how accurate is the menu (mostly breakfast) on the www.portorleans.org website? I noticed the breakfast menu says it was last updated August 2012 so I was just curious if it's all still the same, or if it has since been changed? I keep seeing conflicting menu's on different sites so it's driving me batty We basically only eat breakfast at the resort and our other meals are in the parks or our ADR's so I am just curious of our options. Loving the idea of oatmeal with toppings and the create your own parfait, but some other websites don't show that as an option with a more current menu date.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #642
webstah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea817 View Post
Just booked our very first POR stay today for 8/30-9/2!! I'm so excited & love this thread!

Question for those who have recently returned from POR, how accurate is the menu (mostly breakfast) on the www.portorleans.org website? I noticed the breakfast menu says it was last updated August 2012 so I was just curious if it's all still the same, or if it has since been changed? I keep seeing conflicting menu's on different sites so it's driving me batty We basically only eat breakfast at the resort and our other meals are in the parks or our ADR's so I am just curious of our options. Loving the idea of oatmeal with toppings and the create your own parfait, but some other websites don't show that as an option with a more current menu date.
Here is the menu from the Disney web site
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...d-court/menus/
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Nov 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #643
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
I looked at some pics online of AB rooms and am a bit concerned with my choice. I see a very bare bones, no frills, no decor, rough and rugged looking room.
No, you see a room that is designed to look that way. It's called theming. The actual amenities included, the build quality, etc are just as good as the other sections of the resort. It's a bit like complaining that Main Street USA looks old fashioned. But at the end of the day it does come down to personal preference - and if you choose a Preferred Location, that theming is what you will get in your room. We loved the new décor there in fact - it has a lovely rustic charm all of its own, with lots of fun details to find. Have you looked at the 360-degree panorama I have on my site by the way (www.portorleans.org/alligator-bayou.php)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea817 View Post
Question for those who have recently returned from POR, how accurate is the menu (mostly breakfast) on the www.portorleans.org website?
The food court menus don't change very often. They may add or remove an odd item, but broadly it stays the same. The yogurt breakfast menu slide currently states "Choose from a variety of ingredients including Fresh Fruit, Berries, Nuts and Seeds". Oatmeal is also listed as a separate option (or at least it was a few months ago when I last got photos). I list the menus station-by-station based on what is shown on the menu boards.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #644
mcever4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We just returned from POR last week. I had requested a mansion room for the very reason I thought AB would have a rustic feel to it. I checked in and had been given a room in AB. I thought about switching but decided not to, I was ready to get me vacation started and didn't want to wait for another room to be ready. Got to my room and I WAS IMPRESSED! I loved our room! Not rustic at all. Very nice and it definitely had that Disney magic feel to it. POR is now my favorite resort and this is where I plan on always staying! LOVED IT!

Robin

Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #645
CopperWife
Mouseketeer

I am sure there is an answer to this somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. Can you bring your own fishing poles to fish in the Fishing Hole at POR? When we went in May 2011, my girls were not thrilled with the cane poles, to say the least. TIA.

me DH DD10 DD7

No ticker for now
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: