Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #316
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
My daughter is 5'4" and very slender. She usually sleeps in a semi-fetal position. I know the Murphy bed is only 5'3" x 30". If possible, I'd like thoughts from anyone with a similar situation to ours and experience with trying to make the Murphy bed work as an extra bed for a smallish teen.
My DD was 5' 2.5" on our last AB stay and she really enjoyed the Murphy bed; another couple of inches would probably be fine too.

I think you'll be OK, but as you say you can always use an air mattress if it doesn't work out for any reason (the resort will be fine with this).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #317
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
Hello all,

I booked POR for the middle of July. I was going to request an Aligator Bayou room with a Murphy bed so we could have an extra bed and my teenage son and teenage daughter wouldn't have to share a bed (or, more realistically my husband and I wouldn't have to sleep with one of our kids each)

My daughter is 5'4" and very slender. She usually sleeps in a semi-fetal position. I know the Murphy bed is only 5'3" x 30". If possible, I'd like thoughts from anyone with a similar situation to ours and experience with trying to make the Murphy bed work as an extra bed for a smallish teen.

If this just isn't going to work, will POR allow me to bring a single size air mattress for her to sleep on?

Thanks for any insight!
Since we are 4 plus an under 3 we might not be able to have an AB room I'm told as they are for people with 5. She will be almost 3 so a pack and play is not an option. I asked about an air mattress in another group and people have done it. I asked the phone cm since if I end up in the mansion building I will need one and she said it was okay to do since we are not over the max number for the room.
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #318
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJean View Post
Since we are 4 plus an under 3 we might not be able to have an AB room I'm told as they are for people with 5. She will be almost 3 so a pack and play is not an option. I asked about an air mattress in another group and people have done it. I asked the phone cm since if I end up in the mansion building I will need one and she said it was okay to do since we are not over the max number for the room.
I've stayed at POR twice (once way back when it was Dixie Landings) and both times I've been in AB as a solo. The AB rooms can hold five, but that doesn't mean they're reserved for five. And to be honest, that's a pretty good chunk of the inventory of rooms at POR to set aside for just groups of five.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #319
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post

I've stayed at POR twice (once way back when it was Dixie Landings) and both times I've been in AB as a solo. The AB rooms can hold five, but that doesn't mean they're reserved for five. And to be honest, that's a pretty good chunk of the inventory of rooms at POR to set aside for just groups of five.
That is good to know! When she told me I might not get one because we are not considered 5 I was nervous because I need one. I used the fd pin for garden view in Oct.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #320
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is good to know! When she told me I might not get one because we are not considered 5 I was nervous because I need one.
If you book preferred you're guaranteed a room in AB...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #321
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post

If you book preferred you're guaranteed a room in AB...
Couldn't with the fd pin it was garden or royal only.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #322
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Couldn't with the fd pin it was garden or royal only.
Aww, darn!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #323
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALD85 View Post

Aww, darn!
Yeah. Haul down an air mattress I guess lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #324
ddwwelsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsatc View Post
My concern with the Murphy bed is my 18 month old pulling it down on himself! Lol, just a fear I can see happening.

If I request a mansion is that going to cost me more at check in or are there regular garden rooms there as well as royal rooms? I'd love an upgrade, but sure cant afford it!
This might have been addressed, but I would consider putting the Murphy bed down and laying out luggage or something to weight it down if there's room to move around it.

I remember the days of having to toddler-proof hotel rooms. Good luck to you.

"Some of my best memories are Disney memories."

*1972 *1977 * 1984 * 1985* 1990 *1991 *1992
*1993 *2005-All-Star Movie Resort
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #325
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

Just returned !!!!!

Just returned from 5 nights at POR. Had a fabulous trip

Had only made one request and that was for a mansion room rather than AB as we were celebrating my DDs graduation from college and she wanted a mansion room. PIXIE DUST Upon check-in we were upgraded to a Royal Room!!!! DD was totally thrilled.

Resort is absolutely beautiful. We were in Parterre Place, a short walk over the bridge from the main resort building.

Food court was great ~ nice selection and always found a place to sit.

Absolutely loved Yehaw Bob's show; we had the best time participating in his show.

Spent time at Ol' Man Island and the quiet pool near our building, both were nice. It was fun watching the pool games at Ol' Man Island.

Mousekeeping was great ~ room was very clean and there were several towel animals throughout our stay.

The riverboat ride to DTD was really nice and scenic.

Bus service was absolutely stellar!!!!! We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus anywhere and it was usually 5 minutes or less. Even leaving MK after the Wishes fireworks show when the queue for Riverside spanned two areas, three buses arrived in succession and were loaded and out of there in 10 minutes!!!!!

Would absolutely love to stay at POR again on a future trip.

Thanks to Venom, Andrew, and everyone for their tips and information.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #326
Foz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post

Had only made one request and that was for a mansion room rather than AB as we were celebrating my DDs graduation from college and she wanted a mansion room. PIXIE DUST Upon check-in we were upgraded to a Royal Room!!!! DD was totally thrilled.

Resort is absolutely beautiful. We were in Parterre Place, a short walk over the bridge from the main resort building.

Is the Royal Rooms still in great shape ... we stayed there last Sept ...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #327
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
My DD was 5' 2.5" on our last AB stay and she really enjoyed the Murphy bed; another couple of inches would probably be fine too.

I think you'll be OK, but as you say you can always use an air mattress if it doesn't work out for any reason (the resort will be fine with this).

Andre
Thank you! That is very helpful!

Quote:
When I first called to book I talked to a CM who was adamant that I understand that although she'd note my request for an AB room with Murphy bed, they couldn't guarantee one and they're allocated to families of five first. I took that to mean that it was possible to get it, as long as they weren't overrun with families of five during our stay. I also have heard that not all AB rooms have the Murphy bed. (correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post

Food court was great ~ nice selection and always found a place to sit.

Absolutely loved Yehaw Bob's show; we had the best time participating in his show.

Spent time at Ol' Man Island and the quiet pool near our building, both were nice. It was fun watching the pool games at Ol' Man Island.

Mousekeeping was great ~ room was very clean and there were several towel animals throughout our stay.

The riverboat ride to DTD was really nice and scenic.

Bus service was absolutely stellar!!!!! We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus anywhere and it was usually 5 minutes or less. Even leaving MK after the Wishes fireworks show when the queue for Riverside spanned two areas, three buses arrived in succession and were loaded and out of there in 10 minutes!!!!!

Would absolutely love to stay at POR again on a future trip.

Thanks to Venom, Andrew, and everyone for their tips and information.

Thanks for the mini trip report! Sounds like a wonderful trip! Since air mattresses are ok, I'm kind of hoping for a mansion room now. But I'm going to be happy with whatever I get. This is a trip that's only happening by the grace of god and truthfully, I'm simply thrilled that I'm going to get to go!

Ft. Wilderness April 2015 Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #328
CaraMiaBelle
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=siskaren;48572156]I've stayed at POR twice (once way back when it was Dixie Landings) and both times I've been in AB as a solo. The AB rooms can hold five, but that doesn't mean they're reserved for five. And to be honest, that's a pretty good chunk of the inventory of rooms at POR to set aside for just groups of five
There really have not been many reasonably priced options for families of 5 in the past, so I can see that it could be a concern that the rooms would be held for families of five though. Now that there is the AoA option for families of five, I would things would be better though.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #329
Rhode Island Quahog
Tink, Pooh, and Stitch fan. Proud and Happy Bay Lake Tower DVC Owner!

At what time can you book dining reservations at 180 days prior? Midnight, 6 AM, etc...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #330
G719
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Island Quahog View Post
At what time can you book dining reservations at 180 days prior? Midnight, 6 AM, etc...
You can book online at 6 am est or call at 7 am.

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: