Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
cwnhokie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
What would you guys do:
We will have a rental car for part of our trip. Does driving to MK if you have the option take less time and more comfort than the buses. I like the idea of the buses doing the driving and that the buses drop-off right in front of MK.

How does driving work. Is the parking lot at MK and the boat over actually more a pain and does it take more time?

We are returning out car the next day. So I have one regardless.
I would love the answer to this also! We are trying to decide between Ft. Wilderness cabins and POR for our trip in September for Night of Joy. POR would save us a good bit of money, but Ft. Wilderness seems more convenient. Thinking about keeping a rental car for POR.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
sktjcox
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnhokie View Post
I would love the answer to this also! We are trying to decide between Ft. Wilderness cabins and POR for our trip in September for Night of Joy. POR would save us a good bit of money, but Ft. Wilderness seems more convenient. Thinking about keeping a rental car for POR.
You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this, I happen to agree with Andre :-). My husband hates buses (control freak) so we rent a car. For MK, i cannot imagine not having the Ferry ride over at least once - it is truly magical and we have some great photos with the MK in the background from the ferry.
Another thing to consider - if you plan on making it for rope drop and can get to the TTC early, you may likely avoid the tram and be able to walk over the Ferry.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I respectfully disagree with Andre about driving to MK vs the bus.
Erm, if you re-read what I posted I think you'll find that I agree with you! Taking the bus for the MK is generally the best method, and the one I usually use - however with the one exception of the very first time you ever go to the MK, and for that time only I think the whole 'first arrival' experience is much more exciting by driving and going via the TTC.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
Mommy Poppins
Admitted Disneyholic - No Cure Wanted
Dreams of tag fairies and pretty colors
Will be spending my birthday at the WL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Small world indeed. And I'll be up in Carlisle on Thursday as it happens! We Europeans tend to get the boards to ourselves in our mornings, while the Americans sleep.

(Oh, and this is the Port Orleans Riverside thread by the way, there's a separate French Quarter one at www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2924189)

Andre
And, I'm in Carlisle as we speak--although it is Carlisle, Pennsylvania in the United States! LOL

Our Vow Renewal 5/1/06 - Family Trip 9/2013 & Senior Pictures
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
zabache
DIS Veteran

Yey, I'm here too.

The only way I've ever been to MK has been on the monorail. Will have to try the buses once during our upcoming trip. I do love going through the contemporary resort and seeing chef mickey while the MK is in the distance. Very exciting. My first memory of Disney is just that.
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a ROYAL ROOM!!

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #21
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Erm, if you re-read what I posted I think you'll find that I agree with you! Taking the bus for the MK is generally the best method, and the one I usually use - however with the one exception of the very first time you ever go to the MK, and for that time only I think the whole 'first arrival' experience is much more exciting by driving and going via the TTC.

Andre

But this is where we disagree I think hearing that iconic music is more exciting than the ferry, even for a first visit. Our first glimpse of the castle was when we came around the corner onto Main Street and saw it in front of us The look on a then 2 year old DS's face of seeing it for the first time in person is a look I will never forget.

But to each his own
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well in the Sherman Brothers' words, "Now is the Time, Now is the Best Time" ... to start a new POR FAQ thread, as this one is just about to hit the DISboards limit of 250 pages. We made it in just over three months this time.

So if you'd like to form an orderly line, keep your hands and arms inside the forum at all time, and I'll see you over there at:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3116350

Andre

Following along again. Unfortunately, I didn't heed Andre's warnings. The hands and arms were not inside at all times, and now I'm typing with my nose.

But seriously, glad to be here with a bunch of fellow POR fans, and able to help out those that aren't POR fans, YET.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Towmater Blue
Earning My Ears

Yea! Happy to be here in this thread as a POR alum. :-)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Following along again. Unfortunately, I didn't heed Andre's warnings. The hands and arms were not inside at all times, and now I'm typing with my nose.
You cracked me up!!!!!

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
visitingapril09
DIS Veteran

When the buses go to Magic Kingdom, do they drop off at the monorail/ferry station or somewhere else??
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
webstah
DIS Veteran

The buses to MK drop off right at the entrance to MK, no need to take the ferry or monorail.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
PrincessCooper's Mom
Mouseketeer

Connecting Rooms

Good morning!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any information on connecting rooms.
My family and my parents are going in September and we would like connecting rooms.

Has anyone requested connecting rooms and what was your experience.

Also is there a map that shows which room are connecting.

We booked a standard room and I would like to know where the closest standard connecting rooms are located in mansions and AB. I think either section would be okay just looking to see which section has the closest.

Thanks for all the great information.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

I'm here!!!!! 57 days to go and I can't wait! I need some away from work time.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
webstah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCooper's Mom View Post
Good morning!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any information on connecting rooms.
My family and my parents are going in September and we would like connecting rooms.

Has anyone requested connecting rooms and what was your experience.

Also is there a map that shows which room are connecting.

We booked a standard room and I would like to know where the closest standard connecting rooms are located in mansions and AB. I think either section would be okay just looking to see which section has the closest.

Thanks for all the great information.
I can't help you on the maps, but since 2003 with the exception of 2 years when we went alone, we've been granted connecting rooms every year with no problems. This was both in Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingapril09 View Post
When the buses go to Magic Kingdom, do they drop off at the monorail/ferry station or somewhere else??
No they go strait to the MK Drop Off Stations and then back to POR again for the next batch. There is a Different bus for TTC which I believe you can only get from DTD and Parks.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: