Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #256
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

We're staying at Riverside for the first time this November!!! I'm so excited, I've always wanted to stay at a POR. I originally was going to book a royal room because they seem so pretty but I figured, at a 10 day stay, the extra amount of money would be better spent at the parks rather than in a room (I have two boys anyway that might think it was cool for 5 minutes). Now we're going to request Alligator Bayou because we're from upstate NY and normally spend a week in the Adirondacks in the fall but we'll be scrapping that this year to go to WDW and thought it might be fun to still have some woodsy feeling. Does anyone have any thoughts against this? POR is the only resort I've never been to and, as such, is the only resort(S) I don't really know anything about so any thought could be helpful.

Either way I'm super excited...the kids have no idea that we're going and I can't stop looking at the pictures of the beautiful grounds!!
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #257
ohnowewontgo
Disney here We Come

50 days today!!!! Wish it was closer, but at least we're closer than it was before!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #258
brian95
Mouseketeer

just wanted to thank everyone for all the advise we just got back from 5 nights at por couldn't have been better so here's a little report.
we arrived about 1pm we had done online ckeckin a cm was right there to check us in it took about 5minutes. our room wasn't ready until about 3 they sent us a text.we were in ab bld 14 second floor which was exactly what we requested with a fax. the room was spotless all week long mouskeeping made a few towel animals the girls loved them.we went to the main pool once the quit pool once the main pool was nice but a little crazy.we ate at the food court 2 nights it was ok about what I expected but we didn't go to Disney to eat at gormet food. I was worried about the busses but I was pleasantly surprised we never had much of a wait at the south depot.one morning we were the only people on a bus to mk.other times we were crammed in like sardines,but we always got on . the cms were all really helpful and friendly.the girls loved that they always called them princess.all in all it was a great trip and we will be staying there again.if anyone has any questions feel free to ask
Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #259
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Observations on our recent 5 night stay.

Hey Riversiders!

We've been back for about a week now, and I thought I'd post my observations to help others.

We really enjoyed the beauty of the Resort. Riverside has a laid-back casual feel. Check in went very smoothly and quickly. I did the on-line check in, and all of my special requests done in that fashion were granted: Top floor, AB corner room. Our room was about as far away from the Lobby and Food court as you can get. This didn't bother me much, particularly at first, but as the week went on, it did act as deterrent from walking down to the heart of the resort. The walk was pleasant enough and not too far really but we had a lot of rain the week we were there (the week before Memorial Day weekend). At the end of a park day your feet are too tired to do the walk.

Our non-park / resort day was very rainy, and so we were not able to take advantage of some of the Resort amenities. We never got to ride the boat to DTD for example, opting for the immediate convenience of our car. If we had it to do over, I would have skipped DTD altogether (don't really like it and they have all the same stuff in the shops at the parks) and I would've spent more time enjoying the resort. We only went to the main pool once, on a break from our Magic Kingdom day, and that worked out nicely. We also never got to hear Yeeha Bob, because we were too tired at the end of the day to walk down to the lobby. I never got to rent a bike, kayak, or swing in a hammock (they were always wet from rain). Didn't do enough sitting and watching the world go by. Ah well, There is far too much to do at Disney and we had a good, albeit busy, time.

Having a car at this resort really helped. I actually drove a few times to the main building and Food court. This was particularly helpful when bringing back breakfast for my slow moving wife and daughter. We drove to all the parks except the Magic Kingdom, and that also saved a good deal of time; an added convenience. We were able to park our car very close to our room, and there aren't many Disney resorts where this is true. We did use the bus on our MK day riding it twice there and twice back, and that worked nicely, saving us the hassle of parking, riding a tram, riding a monorail and reversing that on the way out. Been there, done that - it took us an hour, no exaggeration - last time when leaving the park after Wishes just to get to our car. We used the North bus stop, and never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for the bus, and we always had a seat because the bus appeared to have started at the West depot and it was nearly empty when it got to us. And that included getting to the MK for park Opening. We got to the Depot by 8:00 AM and made to MK in time to see the Good Morning show - 9:00 AM opening.

About the Food Court: On our arrival day (we got there at 10:00 AM and were checked in by 10:30 and our room was ready!). After we settled into our room, we ate lunch at the food court, that turned out to be very nice, and the most pleasant meal we had at POR. I ate breakfast a few times at the Food Court and well, hated it, and I don't think I'm that picky. The food choices were very unhealthy for the most part, crowds were terrible, noise was to high and it was not easy to find a seat. I was looking forward to sitting outside in the Florida sun but they had removed all the outside tables. It wasn't until the end of the week that I discovered the very small counter were they serve oatmeal and yogurt parfait's; the healthiest meal there. There was not much offered for breakfast in the grab and go refrigerators except for fruit and juice. The bakery was out of the bran muffin i wanted one morning, and even when i did get one on a later day, it was very oily. I didn't try the eggs / bacon / potatoes as they looked very greasy. Yuck.

One morning I couldn't find a seat, and but finally located one way over by a window (nice) on the far side of the dining hall, but the corner was swarming with flies. Yuck. So I moved. People can get pretty aggressive and territorial with their chairs in there so watch out. It was only at the end of the week that I noticed people bringing their breakfast trays into the Boatwrights' dining room to eat: much quieter and not as crowded. If I had it to do over, I would have brought cereal and milk to eat in my room, and skipped the food court altogether in the mornings. Too bad, because eating a pleasant, leisurely breakfast in the morning is one of the things I like to do on vacation. The food court in the mornings was a very unpleasant, crowded, hectic, noisy, and a not very good food, way to start the morning. (We did manage to go to Kona Cafe on our leaving day and had Tonga Toast, served to us at a real table, with real Kona coffee in a press pot. Nice!). We bought refillable Mugs but probably didn't get our money's worth because we weren't close enough to the lobby to just drop in for a drink, and we didn't eat lunch or dinner there. So here's a tip: if you're not in a preferred room, just stock your fridge with soda's and water, use the in-room coffee maker (i brought extra pods) and pass on the mug.

Oh, one more note, in case any POR staff or managers are reading this: Every hour on the hour they blare out a Down By the Riverside announcement and attempt to get children to grab tambourines and march around the dining hall. THIS ISN'T WORKING! It was extremely annoying and no one was really into it. It just added noise and confusion to an already noising and confusing meal. It interrupts conversation. It made it that much harder to get your food and eat. They do this every hour on the hour throughout the day. Drove me nuts. Please: Children are over-stimulated already at Disney. Give us relative quiet while eating and save the tambourine parade for people masochistic enough to eat at Ohanas'. (Rant Over).

We did get to use both the main pool at Old Man Island, and the quiet pool near our building (36). Both were nice for swimming, and the quiet pool (a bit of misnomer really - should call it Relatively Quiet Pool) was very convenient for a refreshing dip after a long day at a park, just before bed. The main pool was fun. I even took my 52 year old self down the slide. My adult daughter and I had adult beverages from the bar - kind of decadent and they were nice. There was a nice energy with everyone at the pool. Our only complaint was the unnecessary and constant blaring music and hyped pool side games. I know others have complained about this and they do it at every resort now. But it was totally unnecessary. Again; the pool should be a nice place for low stimulus activity, the kids don't need the hype they need respite from the parks, and only a small percentage were really involved. You don't need a PA system for 6 kids. I remember way back, when POR was Dixie landings, they played the nicest blue grass music at the pool. It was very relaxing. Now it's Radio Disney junk. Bleh. We left the pool earlier than we wanted to escape the noise. Please Disney: leave the noise at the parks, give us quiet at the Resorts.

Our Room: The room was very, very nice. The beds were comfy, themeing was wonderful, bathroom was small but very usable. The privacy curtain worked very well. Our room was also very quiet, even though I know we had neighbors, and our room had a connecting door to the next room. Two thumbs up for the room. We had a garden view room, and it was very nice, but honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about which view you have, because you spend so little time in the room anyway, and there really isn't anywhere near or around your room to sit and enjoy the view (not like a balcony at a Deluxe).

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. But I would probably pay for a preferred room (if there was a discount for one). I would also perhaps, go a little earlier in the Spring for the weather and the crowds. While the Resort was full, it only really felt that way in the Food Court at breakfast.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #260
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Hi SkyWay Guy, thanks for the review! One question, what type of extra pods did you bring for coffee? Is it Keurig or something else?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #261
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdaisy View Post
Good morning Dis buds! My family and I are on our way to Dallas Love Field! We will be at POR shortly!
Hey Neighbor! We will be leaving from DFW in 9 days

Have a great trip!!
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #262
litlpixie
Proudly stalking the CRO since 2001!!

SkyWayGuy- Thank you for your honest review! I just wanted to chime in and say I whole heartedly agree about the daily pool parties! I just dont get it-do the kids really need that much entertaining I would think the pools themselves would be enough. Anyway, thanks for posting- oh yea and the food court at breakfast been there, done that......still I'd take that in a minute over my fiber bar I had this morning while sitting in my boring office

Glad you still had a great vacation!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #263
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li View Post
Hi SkyWay Guy, thanks for the review! One question, what type of extra pods did you bring for coffee? Is it Keurig or something else?
I'd love to know this too! I think I know what kind they are, but where to do they sell them?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #264
shawnstring
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
I'd love to know this too! I think I know what kind they are, but where to do they sell them?
from what Ive gathered they use the Senseo style pods. Think little round "tea bags" of coffee. Amazon has many diff kinds (would post link but I can't post those yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #265
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstring View Post

from what Ive gathered they use the Senseo style pods. Think little round "tea bags" of coffee. Amazon has many diff kinds (would post link but I can't post those yet.
Of course - amazon! Why didn't I think of that, LOL? I buy so much stuff from them but didn't think to check there for these. I couldn't find them in the supermarket. I'll check amazon - must have my coffee on vacation!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #266
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Skyway Guy, thanks for the review. Very helpful information! We when were at POR in 2010 they were not doing the everyday pool party. They did have CM's playing games with the kids at the pool, which my kids loved, but no loud music. My kiddo's may love the party, we will see. They were not doing outdoor movies either, so I am looking forward to all the new things.

Does anyone know if you can sit at Boatwright's during lunch and dinner if you get food from the foodcourt? Or can you just use that seating during breakfast because they don't do breakfast at Boatwrights?
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #267
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanrmv View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the cab ride back to POR from MK cost?
We didn't take one from MK this time, but from Boardwalk to POR and from POR to Poly it wasn't more than $12-$15 I believe. The couple that we were in were actually equipped with a credit card machine in the back if you didn't have cash on you. Very convenient!

Also, you cannot take a cab directly from the MK. You would have to walk to the Contemporary or take the monorail to the TTC.

(sorry it took me so long to respond! im still catching up at work!! )

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #268
Cassy829
Earning My Ears

I just want to introduce myself because this boards have been so helpful to me. We are going to Port Orleans Riverside this August. I have been to Disney as a kid with my family, and now I am taking my husband and daughter. Both sets of grandparents are coming, so it is going to be a special first trip. We are staying at a Royal Room, since my daughter loves everything princess. Now that it is getting closer, I wanted to join in all the discussions!!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #269
amomma23
DIS Veteran

We have a continuing reservation, 1 night room only before our package starts. Both reservations are preferred rooms, and I had a CM note the continuing reservation. My question is... is there any reason NOT to do online check-in for both? I realize I'll have to stop and get our new KTTW, but if I check-in online for both reservations, it should speed up the process that morning, right?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #270
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorman View Post
Thanks! I am looking forward to taking a stroll around while I am visiting. Maybe I'll get my girls' caricatures drawn. Do they have a time frame that they are set up? or is it just random? It's usually in the lobby right?
Yes, usually done in the evenings I believe, 6pm-11pm last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMagicKingdom View Post
We're staying at Riverside for the first time this November!!! Now we're going to request Alligator Bayou because we're from upstate NY and normally spend a week in the Adirondacks in the fall but we'll be scrapping that this year to go to WDW and thought it might be fun to still have some woodsy feeling. Does anyone have any thoughts against this? POR is the only resort I've never been to and, as such, is the only resort(S) I don't really know anything about so any thought could be helpful.
Ah, sounds like you've left the best 'til last!

Yes, AB would be a great choice for that woodsy sort of feel, and I'll bet the boys will fight over who gets the murphy bed (depending on their age anyway). I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisny View Post
Does anyone know if you can sit at Boatwright's during lunch and dinner if you get food from the foodcourt?
It's mostly a breakfast thing as it gets so madly busy in the food court in the morning (more fool Disney for taking away the excellent breakfasts at Boatwright's ). I guess you can sit there for lunch too (unless they have already laid up the tables ready for dinner) but it's rarely needed. Definitely not for dinner though, as the tables are needed for the restaurant guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomma23 View Post
We have a continuing reservation, 1 night room only before our package starts. Both reservations are preferred rooms, and I had a CM note the continuing reservation. My question is... is there any reason NOT to do online check-in for both?
I don't see why not. Is the room category the same? If so, they'll probably try to keep you in the same room if possible. Might be worth asking during your first checkin to see if that has been done (you'll still need to technically re-checkin at some point on your swap day though, to get your keycard updated for the rest of your stay).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: