Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #1711
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby

Yes there is. I am a tea drinker and always take a travel kettle. Apart from anything else tea needs boiling water.
It depends on the type of tea for ideal temperature to infuse, not all should be subjected to boiling water. That said, the coffee taste will not do so I will pack the kettle. Thanks for your input.
AKL-Oct'13:F&W & MNSSHP redo!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1712
mrsdrum
Earning My Ears

We are headed to POR 8/4-11. We have a royal guest room with a garden view booked. I originally requested Oak Manor. I plan on faxing my requests as Oak Manor, 2nd floor. Any other suggestions? How far in advance should/can I do the online check-in?
Also I had planned on ordering a case of water and some groceries ( snacks, breakfast) from Garden Grocer, but am hesitant after reading about the whole refrigerator fiasco. Thoughts?
We are celebrating our 10th anniversary and the kids first trip to WDW. DD is 6 and DS is 8. Any other suggestions/ tips? Thanks
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #1713
zabache
DIS Veteran

Ok guys, I'm checking in on Thursday :D is it ok to send my fax with requests on Monday or should I send it let's say tomorrow morning? Would it make a difference? I'm so excited!
August, 2013-POR, 1st Trip with DS! Pics of or trip.
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99425

April 19-26, 2014 POR in a ROYAL ROOM!!

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/zabache/story/99421#
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #1714
zabache
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrum View Post
We are headed to POR 8/4-11. We have a royal guest room with a garden view booked. I originally requested Oak Manor. I plan on faxing my requests as Oak Manor, 2nd floor. Any other suggestions? How far in advance should/can I do the online check-in?
Also I had planned on ordering a case of water and some groceries ( snacks, breakfast) from Garden Grocer, but am hesitant after reading about the whole refrigerator fiasco. Thoughts?
We are celebrating our 10th anniversary and the kids first trip to WDW. DD is 6 and DS is 8. Any other suggestions/ tips? Thanks
Just read your post after I wrote mine, lol. Did you call in your celebrations?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1715
mrsdrum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post

Just read your post after I wrote mine, lol. Did you call in your celebrations?
I honestly can't remember I will call tomorrow and check.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #1716
Miss C
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreJMH View Post
We just checked in yesterday and have a great AB corner room. Our fridge was unplugged with a note, so we inquired at front desk later in the day to see if it would be possible to get one. They found one for us, but it hasn't arrived as of this morning. Ah we'll! It's vacation

It looks like they've started installing the RFID machines -- 3 of the 4 have the screens, but only 1 has the little platforms for the cups. They are still selling the non-RFID cups as of this morning and the machines are still in non-RFID mode.
Countdown: SINGLE DIGITS! YAY!!!
I'm another uber-planner here. For those who are there now, please keep me updated on any developments in the fridge situation if you hear/see anything and also any info the drink stations. I still plan to order a small bit from Garden Grocer, but just want to keep informed so I might be a bit more prepared, if needed. It would seem that we are going to WDW during a massive transition time (magic bands, rfid mugs, fridges, etc.) and circumstances beyond our control, so I'm planning to "roll with the punches". I know we'll still have a good time regardless of the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrum View Post
We will be there during the same time as you (8/5-8/16)! And staying in a Royal Room! AND celebrating our 10th anniversary too! And DD's upcoming 8th birthday! Be sure to say "Hi" if you see us... we'll be the ones with the rambunctious princess and several different matching shirts (at times). (I'm finishing the shirts tomorrow so I might post a pic before we go.) I plan to fax in our request on Monday.

I did have a couple of questions:
#1 - How much of a hold is put on the credit card at check-in? One CM told me that I wouldn't have to provide any credit card info if I didn't want to, but that doesn't sound right to me. We travel A LOT for work and I don't think I've EVER been to a hotel that doesn't ask for a card to cover incidentals. We probably won't be making any room charges (the uber-planner in me already has our meals and spending money planned out in gift cards) but I just don't want to go over our credit limit because of an amount just being held on the card.

#2 - Where can I send out mail at POR and does it get picked up daily? As much as I want to completely escape during our stay, reality dictates that some bills still need to be paid.

#3 - I know I read this somewhere, but am too tired to wade through pages and pages to find the answer : where can we get a life vest for my daughter? Can we check it out for the entire stay or just for her immediate use at the pool?

Thanks so much for the info on this board and thanks to Andre for the info on his website. We are all looking forward to being there!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #1717
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabache View Post
Ok guys, I'm checking in on Thursday :D is it ok to send my fax with requests on Monday or should I send it let's say tomorrow morning? Would it make a difference? I'm so excited!
I'd send it early on Saturday morning. But it's not a science, don't worry too much about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
It depends on the type of tea for ideal temperature to infuse, not all should be subjected to boiling water. That said, the coffee taste will not do so I will pack the kettle. Thanks for your input.
My DW drinks Earl Grey tea and insists on using boiling (i.e. still bubbling, not even just recently boiled) water. So we keep a US kettle in our Owner's Locker (travel kettles are useless at 110v, they take too long to boil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss C View Post
#1 - How much of a hold is put on the credit card at check-in?

#2 - Where can I send out mail at POR and does it get picked up daily?

#3 - I know I read this somewhere, but am too tired to wade through pages and pages to find the answer : where can we get a life vest for my daughter? Can we check it out for the entire stay or just for her immediate use at the pool?
I don't think they do pre-hold any value on your card (other than charging your room fee for the duration of your stay course) but the card will need to be charged each time you hit a $1,000 balance. You don't have to leave a card on file if you don't want to, you just won't be able to charge to your room. This will be even more useful when MagicBands go mainstream in a couple of months.

There is a mailbox in the lobby, collected daily. Stamps can be purchased from the gift shop if you need them.

Yes, you can get life vests from the marina, and you can keep it for the duration of your stay. No charge (unless you don't return it!).

Have fun, maybe see you around the resort!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 07-27-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #1718
zabache
DIS Veteran

Just sent my fax.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1719
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley
My DW drinks Earl Grey tea and insists on using boiling (i.e. still bubbling, not even just recently boiled) water. So we keep a US kettle in our Owner's Locker (travel kettles are useless at 110v, they take too long to boil).
She's right to insist on that temp for a black tea (and most herbals)! We drink a lot of green and white teas and they should have less intense heat. It really improves the taste. I have a nifty kettle at home that I can just press the type of tea and it heats to the proper temp. It would be cumbersome to take on holiday, for sure. We are a family of tea lovers and so my sister became a baristea and tea dealer, lucky for me now! Anyway, I'm sure there are some are wondering when this turned into a tea lecture (sorry 'bout that )

Now you have me thinking - OL isn't an option, but since we're planning to hire a car, we should just buy a kettle on our way in during our stop for supplies and gift it to another guest. We're trying hard to pack light so we don't have to wait around for bags. DME has spoiled us!

We are so looking forward to our October trip and POR!
AKL-Oct'13:F&W & MNSSHP redo!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #1720
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
Now you have me thinking - OL isn't an option, but since we're planning to hire a car, we should just buy a kettle on our way in during our stop for supplies and gift it to another guest. We're trying hard to pack light so we don't have to wait around for bags. DME has spoiled us!
Sounds like a plan, start a DIS POR pass-the-kettle-on thread!

Oh, and if you do decide to travel with a small kettle, it's worth remembering that they are hollow - pack small clothing items or souvenirs inside it (inside a plastic bag of course!) and it actually takes up very little space.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #1721
JacknDawn4ever
"All the world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust."

Smile

WE ARE BOOKED!!! Cannot wait to walk into POR next March and feel like I am back home. I even requested the same room we had last year since we enjoyed being in Magnolia Terrace. Now we only have 217 days to wait, but it will fly by.......

First Disney Trip - 1985 with Grandparents - stayed offsite
Family's First Disney Trip - March 2012 - POR
March 2015 - Resort TBD
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #1722
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

hey I have a question for you POR experts.

I may be switching over to POR (from POFQ) and I'm thinking RR Pool View and requesting close to mainbuilding/bus. If I am looking at the map correctly this would put me in one of the two RR buildings facing the pool that sits inbetween and kind of straight up from the bridge over to the main building?

I'm trying to figure out the easiest place to put my mom (who is 70 and can have some mobility problems) who wants to try out the mansions area.

If there is a better choice please let me know.

ETA: Just playing with Google maps and it looks like Parterre is actually closer to the bridge, and I could get a garden view and request close to bridge first floor and it would be a better location. Or I could just do Parterre/Close to Elevator upper floor and not worry about the bridge since there is only one elevator and we would be using it the most.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

Last edited by bookgirl; 07-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1723
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

booked!

we are booked too! Can't wait! It's been a rough year and we are looking forward to going "home"

POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (14)..
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1724
monicajonathan
Earning My Ears

Hello everyone. We are planning to go back to POR December 2014 but we might go back in thanksgiving. Does POR do anything special to celebrate during this time?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1725
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Free Dining comes out for December, and that POR has rooms available for it! I'm bringing my 22 year old nephew to WDW and the last time he stayed at POR he was a little boy! It will be great to see if he remembers it at all.

Can anyone tell me if Pop Warner will be at POR this year? The dates I'm looking at (and have airline tickets for, lol) are Dec 12-16. If Pop Warner is at POR, do they place them in certain buildings?

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: