Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1636
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7ate9 View Post

Thanks! That makes sense and seems to be a fair and reasonable policy. I didn't feel like you were implying that I wanted to be dishonest - I would have felt bad as well! I probably would've gotten so overwrought with guilt that I would've forced our friends to sleep on top of the covers, refused to let them use the shower, hid their belongings, made them leave the room disguised as luggage, etc. until finally ending up in the lobby sobbing and begging the nice cast member's to PLEASE forgive me!

Do you think it's necessary to let the resort know prior to our arrival? Or would it be fine to let them know when we check in? After spending a half hour on hold today, I'm not especially eager to call again if I don't have to (I actually meant to ask about this when I called them today for totally unrelated reasons, but a half hour of the Haunted Mansion soundtrack had me in something of a trance...)
Hahahaha! I'm the same way! My husband and I slept in separate beds a few nights because they're queens and he's 6'5" and I'm 5'9" and I was worried housekeeping would think we had extra people in there. That, or that we hated each other, ha! I'm sure Venom or Andre could direct you better, but my suggestion would be to let them know when you check in that you will have 2 additional guests joining you and for which dates.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1637
bigmac5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! That makes sense and seems to be a fair and reasonable policy. I didn't feel like you were implying that I wanted to be dishonest - I would have felt bad as well! I probably would've gotten so overwrought with guilt that I would've forced our friends to sleep on top of the covers, refused to let them use the shower, hid their belongings, made them leave the room disguised as luggage, etc. until finally ending up in the lobby sobbing and begging the nice cast member's to PLEASE forgive me!

Do you think it's necessary to let the resort know prior to our arrival? Or would it be fine to let them know when we check in? After spending a half hour on hold today, I'm not especially eager to call again if I don't have to (I actually meant to ask about this when I called them today for totally unrelated reasons, but a half hour of the Haunted Mansion soundtrack had me in something of a trance...)
I would do it when you check in at the front desk. When you call you do not get the resort-and hence a good chance for everything to get messed up lol
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #1638
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Do you think it's necessary to let the resort know prior to our arrival? Or would it be fine to let them know when we check in?
No, if you try to do it in advance (a) they'll just get confused and (b) they'll most probably want to charge you $30/night for the extra two adults.

Just let the front desk know during your stay (no need to do it when you first check in). If you just let them know that you've got two local friends visiting to celebrate with you for a couple of days, I think it's very unlikely that they'll charge you any extra. But I think you're right in letting them know for all sorts of reasons (safety issues for one). Not sure whether they'll issue separate room keys or not though, they might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Hello You will be there some of the same time as us. We arrive for our third stay at POR on 9 August, leaving on the 24th. I'm trying to get excited but to be honest would prefer the Beach Club again! POR is my fave moderate though.

Thought Id say hello as I noticed you are from very close to where we live too!!

Having reviewed the great room maps on here I am going to request a pool view in (I think) building 18. Have paid for preferred location and love that quiet pool.

Have a good trip. I hear immigration lines are currently horrible......
I like the BC too, especially for the easy access to Epcot. Now if I could just walk to Epcot in 4 minutes from POR, life would be perfect.

'Preferred Location' category does not technically include the six 'Pool View' rooms in building 18 - but that said, there are a number of other Preferred rooms which are very close to the pool, just not having a full direct view of it (trees in the way for example). Just ask for a room as close to the pool as possible and see what they can do for you.

We fly from Birmingham via Newark, so we'll clear US customs and immigration at New York, and then have an internal flight onward to MCO, so we just get to step off the plane at Orlando and walk right on though to internal baggage claim in the terminal building. We live about 8 miles north of Birmingham, so it's our most convenient airport.

Maybe see you around the resort, you never know!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 07-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #1639
Dani C
DIS Veteran

Just got to my king mansion room at Magnolia Terrace. The refrigerator is nowhere to be seen, so it appears that yes some have been removed and they are putting people in those rooms without them. Also, yes they have the Joffrey's coffee pods in the room. Time to start my holiday!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1640
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

So I tried wading through all this, but can someone help anwer my question about replacement of refrigerators? We'll be in AB rooms.

We always order from Garden Grocer and keep things like milk, drinks, cream cheese, etc... in the refrigerator.

We'll be there late Sept, and from what I've read, all the refrigerator replacements are to be complete by July 31st? Is that right?

Dan
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1641
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani C View Post
The refrigerator is nowhere to be seen, so it appears that yes some have been removed and they are putting people in those rooms without them.
Much as we expected, yes. Riverside is better off than many resorts in that about 50% of the rooms still have working fridges, but on the "glass half empty" front that equally means that the other 50% don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFive View Post
We'll be there late Sept, and from what I've read, all the refrigerator replacements are to be complete by July 31st? Is that right?
That 31st July quote came from an unattributed CM (possibly from the reservations call center?) and of course has been passed around the internet as gospel ever since. Whatever, I'm afraid there is no way that all the fridges at POR will be done by next week. Disney are still officially saying "up to four months" and have not narrowed it down any further than that yet. My own feeling is that it will be sooner than that, but still in terms of months not weeks.

You can of course request a fridge if you wish, but the resort will need to prioritise any medical requirements before granting general requests.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 07-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #1642
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
That 31st July quote came from an unattributed CM (possibly from the reservations call center?) and of course has been passed around the internet as gospel ever since. Whatever, I'm afraid there is no way that all the fridges at POR will be done by next week. Disney are still officially saying "up to four months" and have not narrowed it down any further than that yet. My own feeling is that it will be sooner than that, but still in terms of months not weeks.

You can of course request a fridge if you wish, but the resort will need to prioritise any medical requirements before granting general requests.

Andre
Thanks Andre. I'll keep checking back and try to keep up to date. Not having a refrigerator is a BIG issue for us, especially since we preorder a good amount of items from Garden Grocer each trip. I would hate to find out we don't have refrigerators!!!

Dan
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #1643
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFive View Post
Not having a refrigerator is a BIG issue for us, especially since we preorder a good amount of items from Garden Grocer each trip. I would hate to find out we don't have refrigerators!!!
At present I would work on the assumption that you probably won't have a fridge, and adjust any orders accordingly. Then if you do happen to get a fridge, it'll be a bonus. And keep en eye on this thread for updates in the meantime, as you're still two months away.

Andre

Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #1644
JinxedSydney
Lurker Extraordinare

I know I have 132 days left but I'm still planning and looking and wishing the days were faster.

Where are the laundry facilities in the mansions? I did look it up on portorleans.org but didn't see them. I did read that they are near the quiet pool.

And to second that question, has anyone traveled on an airplane with Tide pods? Just wondering if they survived the pressure changes.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #1645
lazer
DIS Veteran

Read a lot about the pods. They should be okay to fly with in your checked luggage. But, you probably want to pack them in something so they don't break if they're smashed (and to prevent any damage if they do bursts/break).
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #1646
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxedSydney View Post
I know I have 132 days left but I'm still planning and looking and wishing the days were faster.

Where are the laundry facilities in the mansions? I did look it up on portorleans.org but didn't see them. I did read that they are near the quiet pool.

And to second that question, has anyone traveled on an airplane with Tide pods? Just wondering if they survived the pressure changes.
The laundry facilities where we stayed in Oak Manor were right beside the quiet pool. Very convenient. Put your tide pods in a freezer bag inside a rubbermaid container. Otherwise, I got liquid tide in single packets in the travel section at Walmart.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #1647
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
The laundry facilities where we stayed in Oak Manor were right beside the quiet pool. Very convenient. Put your tide pods in a freezer bag inside a rubbermaid container. Otherwise, I got liquid tide in single packets in the travel section at Walmart.
I also brought the single serving Tide packets from Walmart. Plus I brought bounce dryer sheers in a ziploc.

We used the laundry between Oak and Paterre as well. Tons of machines, even more dryers.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #1648
nannye
DIS Veteran

Room Recommendations?
We have a garden view booked. I really don't want to stay in the bayou so I want to request a mansion room. I'd like something that is close to the bridges. Last year we did a RGR in oak and were in the very front of oak on a ground floor in front of the fountain, perfect location!

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions if Magnolia or Acadian would be closer to the bridge. I'm thinking Magnolia it looks close on the map to the bridge leading to ole man island and then to the food court. But would also depend on where gardenview rooms are located in Magnolia?

Any opinions?

requests would then be,

Magnolia
close to the front of the building
ground floor

any thoughts?

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Last edited by nannye; 07-24-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #1649
gmedolphin
Earning My Ears

In room coffee maker's

What kind of coffee makers dose POR have, i'll be there in Sept. and want to bring my own coffee. Only 52 days to go, can't wait.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #1650
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmedolphin View Post
What kind of coffee makers dose POR have, i'll be there in Sept. and want to bring my own coffee. Only 52 days to go, can't wait.
Cuisinart pod-based.

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley; 07-25-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans, riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: