Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
tinatark
DIS Veteran

Good iuck getting any kind of *D medicine... we have to talk to the pharmacist, show id, etc. to get it here!
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatark View Post
Good iuck getting any kind of *D medicine... we have to talk to the pharmacist, show id, etc. to get it here!
Same here. It's the same everywhere. It's really not that difficult. You show your ID, they give you a box, you sign and pay.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Thanks Disfan for the info on the singulair. My doc did say that the headaches were a side affect of the singulair also. Its funny, the stuff that works the best causes other problems. Which is the lesser of the evils? Who knows!

I only know that I want to get right and not have to take any steroids because I feel like those are the worse thing.

I have allergy testing set up for the end of June. I couldn't believe how long it took to get an appt! But then again, I look around and see that everyone seems to be coughing and hacking and wheezing! Its been a really bad year. Typically my allergies don't bother me until Aug and Sept. I have issues with ragweed, molds and mildews. Last year was the first year that I had issues starting in the early spring. I thought maybe (and the doc as well) I had picked something up and it caused the asthma/pnuemonia issues. Oddly enough, in Dec, I was not feeling a 100% while we were iin WDW, but I had a terrible attack start in SC on the way home. They were having a wildfire or something and the smoke through SC on 95 was so thick in the car even with the windows rolled up and the ac on. We got home and the next morning I had to hit the ER and ended up staying. All 4 quandrants were involved and my O2 stats wouldn't budge from about 86 during activity. Finally they sent me home on day 4 with oxygen and meds. It took about 2 weeks to finally feel better.

I hope everyone who is suffering feels better soon. I can only say it sucks! I know my quality of life at this moment is nowhere near what I would like it to be, but it IS getting better. I have never been one to take anything stronger than advil and now it seems like I am taking 7 different meds just to start my day! Hopefully some allergy shots will do the trick, at least give me an idea whats going on. I have changed my diet to the point that I basically eat rice and chicken. I just have no idea what is causing the problem.

Kelly
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
Yup. Headaches are the main side effect of singular and the main reason people discontinue it. I've tried singular 3 different times and all three times had to stop because of severe headaches. I've never found anything to replace it.
Wow I never knew that. Guess I am lucky then, because I have been on singular for a few years and the only side effect for me has been an extra 10 pounds that I can't get rid of.

Are any of you on Claritin? I take that in the morning along with a couple sniffs of flonase, and take the singular at night. My allergies are not gone, by any means, but are manageable.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Wow I never knew that. Guess I am lucky then, because I have been on singular for a few years and the only side effect for me has been an extra 10 pounds that I can't get rid of.

Are any of you on Claritin? I take that in the morning along with a couple sniffs of flonase, and take the singular at night. My allergies are not gone, by any means, but are manageable.
Yes, I do take the Claritin. Zyrtec worked for about 4 years for me, but for some reason lost some of the effectiveness a couple years ago.

The singular is a great med. I am hoping once I get straight a little more I can try again. I wondered if the problem was more the combo of meds rather than singular itself. I felt the best I ever have on it.

Kelly
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

I'm right there with you, OP.

Besides the sneezing, and sinus dripping my main symptom is itchy palate. Weird. This year has been the worst in a long time. My whole mouth is affected. Finally last week it started to subside...yay!... Then I had to go to the mountains and their pollen production must be a couple of weeks behind ours because I had a nasty flair. UGH!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

I'm on day four of complete allergy misery. Itching red eyes, sneezing constantly, chest and back hurt from breathing, yuck! I am taking allegra, flonase and benadryl and they help, a little. I want to go to sleep and wake up when the allergens are gone!
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I have terrible sinus issues. My poor forehead just pounds and never stops. I have never found anything that helps since they took seldane-D off the market. This last round lasted 3 days of pounding. Your not alone with the issues.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg403 View Post
Yes, I do take the Claritin. Zyrtec worked for about 4 years for me, but for some reason lost some of the effectiveness a couple years ago.

The singular is a great med. I am hoping once I get straight a little more I can try again. I wondered if the problem was more the combo of meds rather than singular itself. I felt the best I ever have on it.

Kelly
I hope you can get back on the singular as well! Doesn't it stink that such a great medication has such lousy side effects?
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
I hear ya.

Right now for allergies I am taking: Zyrtec in the AM, Allegra in the afternoon, and Benadryl at night. I am using both Zetonna and patanase nasal sprays and patanol eye drops
For asthma I am taking: symbicort 160/4.5 3x day, xoponex nebs 2x day, pulmicort nebs 2xday and xoponex inhaler as needed.

It's ridiculous right now. On top of that, we have a nasty respiratory virus going around which of course I caught earlier this week.

Have they given you antibiotics? You could have a recurring sinus infection that needs antibiotics.
THis is great advice. I sometimes fine the allergies get so bad that a secondary infection sets in and I need a round of anitbiotics. I am also on a long list of meds like the OP, as is my daughter, 4. HAve you seen your allergist through all this? I found it took frequent visits and a lot of medication tweaking to get me over what was five years of almost chronic, severe illness. Now I'm pretty good, so long as I stay ahead of the meds. I find I need way more antihistamine than what the bottles say. My little one is on a quadruple dose of meds in relation to the package recommended dose. Prescribed by the allergist. That's why I say to check in with him or her again. Good luck.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Singular was a life changing med for me. I guess I am very lucky about the headaches. Not a one so far.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Grass allergies are kicking my butt. Taking alleges, Sudafed, and Tylenol. Washing my face several times a day. I can't tolerate singulair--I keep getting ear infections when I was on it. Burst my left eardrum three times!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
Grass allergies are kicking my butt. Taking alleges, Sudafed, and Tylenol. Washing my face several times a day. I can't tolerate singulair--I keep getting ear infections when I was on it. Burst my left eardrum three times!
Wow! Never heard of that being a side effect! The headache I got from it doesn't sound half bad now.

Do you also use a nasal spray? I've been told that nasal sprays are really good for grass allergies.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Have any of you looked into allergy shots? DS has been getting them for a couple of years now, and it has helped him tremendously. The first year, he had to get a shot in each arm every week, but for the past year, he has been on an every other week schedule. He is allergic to cats, dogs, a bunch of grasses and several trees. That is why he gets two shots each time. If you don't have a whole lot of allergies, they could get it into just one shot. Might be worth considering for some of you. I only have to give him his Zyrtec when we are staying with my mom who has two giant indoor dogs. Otherwise, he is fine with just the shots.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Have any of you looked into allergy shots? DS has been getting them for a couple of years now, and it has helped him tremendously. The first year, he had to get a shot in each arm every week, but for the past year, he has been on an every other week schedule. He is allergic to cats, dogs, a bunch of grasses and several trees. That is why he gets two shots each time. If you don't have a whole lot of allergies, they could get it into just one shot. Might be worth considering for some of you. I only have to give him his Zyrtec when we are staying with my mom who has two giant indoor dogs. Otherwise, he is fine with just the shots.
I tried them last year as cluster shots. 3 doses every time (3 shots each dose...so 9 shots total). I had 2 anaphylactic reactioninducing the first 10 weeks of shots so we had to stop. We are reconsidering starting them again on a slower schedule but my allergist is a little reluctant to try again even though we've run out of options.

I'm glad they have worked for your son! I like hearing positive stories like that. It gives me hope that maybe if we slow down the schedule that they might work for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: