Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #556
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

No problem. I take the same positive spirit home with me that I use when I am on the clock.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #557
jacksmommy
Mouseketeer

We stayed in POR last year during Spring Break and sent an email about 2 weeks before using your awesome template Venomhatch! We got exactly what we requested and had a fabulous time! We are headed back in mid-May for SWW and staying at POR again. Do you recommend faxing over email now? And last year I think it was within 2 weeks of travel but now I am seeing 5 days. We have a preferred room for mobility issues of one of our travelers so I want to make sure to get that to the right person. Thanks so much!!!

DH Me and DS Jack age 8 and our sweet Disney Souvenir Mary-Kate born 10/27/09

Trips to the World:
1983 offsite - just me
The fam's first trip and my 35th birthday celebration: Feb. 2009 AKL
Mary-Kate's first trip and our return to AKL with the inlaws! September 2010
Traveling with the in-laws again! BLT September 25-October 2, 2011 - our 7th Anniversary and MK's 2nd birthday!
3rd Trip w/In-Laws - SSR Sept. 22-29/2012
POR for Spring Break 4/1-4/5 2013 Sister and Cousins Trip!
SSR Christmas Time Trip 12/1-12/8/2014
40th Birthday & 1st SWW Trip 5/14-5/20/2014
jacksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #558
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmommy View Post
We stayed in POR last year during Spring Break and sent an email about 2 weeks before using your awesome template Venomhatch! We got exactly what we requested and had a fabulous time! We are headed back in mid-May for SWW and staying at POR again. Do you recommend faxing over email now? And last year I think it was within 2 weeks of travel but now I am seeing 5 days. We have a preferred room for mobility issues of one of our travelers so I want to make sure to get that to the right person. Thanks so much!!!
Fax should be ok this time. 5 days is fine now we ironed out the routine better with the rooms and requests.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #559
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
I'll do it five days prior to arrival.
That's my general advice too. Any further out than five days and your fax will probably be filed away until they get around to working on your particular dates (which shouldn't be a problem, but why risk it?). Also, they don't generally look at making any possible category switches prior to 5 days out (I assume in case any late bookings come in) so any requests which might involve technical changes between one room category and another won't be possible until then anyway.

Most rooms are still allocated via the 'Ready Room' system (either when you arrive, or a few hours before your arrival if you've done online checkin) but if they decide they need to block out a specific room then they will want to do that several days before the arrival date. This is mostly for things like multi-room bookings, groups, consecutive run-on bookings, or very specific special requests that probably could not be met on the day - the more complex/larger the booking, the earlier they will look at it. The downside of blocking out rooms in advance is that unless the room is empty the day before (which would be ideal) you run the risk of it possibly not being ready yet if you arrive earlier in the day.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 AM   #560
heathjh
Mouseketeer

We have 5 rooms reserved for Sept. Two of the rooms check in the 19th -29th. The other 3 rooms are for 20th-28th. How likely that we can be together? If one of the rooms that is staying longest, books a preferred room, how likely are we to be in the buildings near the preferred rooms? Will it increase our chances of those closer buildings, if one room is preferred?
heathjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #561
kkayluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Is the recommendation for sending faxes 5 business days before arrival or just 5 days regardless? We are checking in on a Wednesday and I just wanted to confirm that I understood what day would be best to fax in our requests.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Kelly
1985, 87, 91: Offsite 1995:POFQ 1999:CBR
2004: Holiday villas 2006:POR 2007:POR
2008:SSR 2008: POLY check out my first TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028633[/COLOR]
2010: POFQ 2013: POR 2014: POR
kkayluvsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #562
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkayluvsdis View Post
Is the recommendation for sending faxes 5 business days before arrival or just 5 days regardless? We are checking in on a Wednesday and I just wanted to confirm that I understood what day would be best to fax in our requests.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Kelly
5 Days regardless. But the Person that typically oversees the room assignments usually isn't there on Sundays and Mondays. That is not saying it wont be seen and entered in. It is just the best chance to get it to the best possible person.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #563
kbuck
Mouseketeer

Location: was Chalmette, LA now Pearl River, LA thanks to Hurricane Katrina

I think I read on the other POR Thread - Don't put your clothing in the chest of drawers at the resort! Just wondering why.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I guess we will ask for extra hangers.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #564
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuck View Post
I think I read on the other POR Thread - Don't put your clothing in the chest of drawers at the resort! Just wondering why.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I guess we will ask for extra hangers.
Well I and a few others had a bad experience in and behind drawers. But you could use hanging organizers, their pretty cheap, or I leave everything in our suit cases.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #565
kbuck
Mouseketeer

Location: was Chalmette, LA now Pearl River, LA thanks to Hurricane Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Well I and a few others had a bad experience in and behind drawers. But you could use hanging organizers, their pretty cheap, or I leave everything in our suit cases.
Thank you for the quick response. Will pickup some at Walmart today. See ya on Sunday!!! 😃😃😃

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #566
kkayluvsdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
5 Days regardless. But the Person that typically oversees the room assignments usually isn't there on Sundays and Mondays. That is not saying it wont be seen and entered in. It is just the best chance to get it to the best possible person.
Thanks!! Saturday it is! One week from tomorrow! That's pretty exciting to think about! hehe
1985, 87, 91: Offsite 1995:POFQ 1999:CBR
2004: Holiday villas 2006:POR 2007:POR
2008:SSR 2008: POLY check out my first TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028633[/COLOR]
2010: POFQ 2013: POR 2014: POR
kkayluvsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #567
Candlelady
A dream is a wish your heart makes

Quote:
I spoke to the right people while I was there and you should do it at the 5 days before arrival. One to two days would be too soon for room planning and would make it more difficult to achieve requests.

We are arriving on Friday, May 2nd. I believe you stated the room assigner does not work on Sunday or Monday. Would it better to send my fax in on Tuesday, 3 days prior to check in so it has a better chance of being seen?

Not requesting much, only location, since we only have a standard view, but I don't want it overlooked either since this is my little princess' first trip.

Thank you Venomhatch & Andrewilley. You both probably sprinkle more pixie dust than you know with all the info you give so generously.

Thank you!
Candlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #568
disgirl42
Our first visit in over 20 years!!

Hi friends! Thanks for all this amazing information! I'm sorry if this was asked before- I tried to reach all the posts but may have missed some!

We are staying at POR from Dec 2-9. We are traveling with myself, my DH and our DS who will be 4 at time of travel. I think he will think the Murphy Bed is super cool! (Does everyone think that it will be good for a 4 yr old- comfortable? And do we need to ask for bedrails do you think?) And because it us just the 2 adults- a king bed would be perfect! Then we want a preferred room to be close to amenities- we will have an umbrella stroller- but would be nice to save energy for the parks! The preferred room us really the priority- we could survive (ha!) in a 2 queen bed room, but king would be better. So our current reservation is "preferred room" and in the requests we have- request a king bed with Murphy bed in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27.

Should I change it to a king bed room reservation and them request the preferred buildings? It seems that the price us the same?

We arrears on a Tuesday- so we will probably send the fax the previous Thursday?

And is it too much to also request a "quieter room?" With Pop Warner arriving at the end of our trip- didn't know if that's something we should be concerned with?

Thanks so much- so many questions!! We are just so excited!!! And the perfect place to rest and re-coop will make it even more fantastic! I gave heard how the staff at PO is just over the top friendly and that is why we chose this resort! Thanks to everyone! Amy
disgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #569
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlelady View Post
We are arriving on Friday, May 2nd. I believe you stated the room assigner does not work on Sunday or Monday. Would it better to send my fax in on Tuesday, 3 days prior to check in so it has a better chance of being seen?

Not requesting much, only location, since we only have a standard view, but I don't want it overlooked either since this is my little princess' first trip.

Thank you Venomhatch & Andrewilley. You both probably sprinkle more pixie dust than you know with all the info you give so generously.

Thank you!
Yes I would send on Tuesday. It has a chance of getting accomplished but it isn't usually better as you have lesser days. Now don't get me wrong 3 days is still ample time for average requests. But if you were hoping to get upgraded or a specific spot then that might be harder under 5 days.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #570
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgirl42 View Post
Hi friends! Thanks for all this amazing information! I'm sorry if this was asked before- I tried to reach all the posts but may have missed some!

We are staying at POR from Dec 2-9. We are traveling with myself, my DH and our DS who will be 4 at time of travel. I think he will think the Murphy Bed is super cool! (Does everyone think that it will be good for a 4 yr old- comfortable? And do we need to ask for bedrails do you think?) And because it us just the 2 adults- a king bed would be perfect! Then we want a preferred room to be close to amenities- we will have an umbrella stroller- but would be nice to save energy for the parks! The preferred room us really the priority- we could survive (ha!) in a 2 queen bed room, but king would be better. So our current reservation is "preferred room" and in the requests we have- request a king bed with Murphy bed in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27.

Should I change it to a king bed room reservation and them request the preferred buildings? It seems that the price us the same?

We arrears on a Tuesday- so we will probably send the fax the previous Thursday?

And is it too much to also request a "quieter room?" With Pop Warner arriving at the end of our trip- didn't know if that's something we should be concerned with?

Thanks so much- so many questions!! We are just so excited!!! And the perfect place to rest and re-coop will make it even more fantastic! I gave heard how the staff at PO is just over the top friendly and that is why we chose this resort! Thanks to everyone! Amy
Hello there,

Yeah the Murphy Beds are comfortable even for me. But I also am 5'11" so I hang over a little bit. But I don't believe you need the bed rails honestly in my opinion. The mattress sinks in a little, not a lot, and kind of holds you in the middle of it. There is a lip on the end that keeps the mattress on the Murphy bed and not sliding off or anything. As for the room I would try for a preferred and possibly request a king bed? But as you said I wouldn't put too much worry on the bed. The Queens are still very big even for me. Since there is no elevators in the Alligator Bayou Buildings I would ask for first floor also since you have the stroller. I really like building 14 it is a very nice location and literally it is almost right outside the food court doors. I personally believe you should leave it the way it is. Purchased a preferred requesting a king. The preferreds go quick and they may just move you to a king preferred to open a queen one up for someone else. It would be harder to do any magic with a king room asking for a preferred location. If that last part is confusing I can help further. Honestly I didnt have too much noise in the preferred area. Just around the pool but even then it was loud long. I honestly think Preferred Area is a lot quieter to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: