Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #151
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Dear Disney: Montgomery, Alabama was just voted most historical city in America. We have a rich history in Civil War, Civil Rights, and Civil Aviation. We have 2 major interstates (I85 and I65) in Montgomery, with I10, I59 and I20 nearby. We have warm weather, and flat affordable land. We are 3 hours from the Gulf coast, and have lots of travelers from the Midwest who come through here to go to the beach and to Walt Disney World. Yes, building a park here would take visitors from Orlando, but would certainly solve many of your capacity problems. My husband and I would certainly purchase discounted Annual Passes.
Hahahahahaha.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #152
Wdwvacationdad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Dear Disney:

Montgomery, Alabama was just voted most historical city in America. We have a rich history in Civil War, Civil Rights, and Civil Aviation.

We have 2 major interstates (I85 and I65) in Montgomery, with I10, I59 and I20 nearby. We have warm weather, and flat affordable land. We are 3 hours from the Gulf coast, and have lots of travelers from the Midwest who come through here to go to the beach and to Walt Disney World.

Yes, building a park here would take visitors from Orlando, but would certainly solve many of your capacity problems.

My husband and I would certainly purchase discounted Annual Passes.

No offense, but isn't Montgomery 'historic' because they were on the wrong side of history? 1st Capital of the Confederacy... bus boycott...Tuskegee...church bombing....march from Selma...Freedom Riders...'Bloody Sunday'....
Not trying to be political, but feel like some of those events might not be 'magical.' Now Destin? That would be a great place for a park
Wdwvacationdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #153
Disneyspiderman
spiderman wants disney in texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwvacationdad View Post
No offense, but isn't Montgomery 'historic' because they were on the wrong side of history? 1st Capital of the Confederacy... bus boycott...Tuskegee...church bombing....march from Selma...Freedom Riders...'Bloody Sunday'....
Not trying to be political, but feel like some of those events might not be 'magical.' Now Destin? That would be a great place for a park
more like hell on a stick no and also not in dallas texas Due to a president died and multiple death have happend at six flags but if somewhere in texas disney or universal studios could build A 3rd one its so much land in the Big Tx state
Disneyspiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #154
nickjonasobsessed
Mouseketeer

If Disney were to build a new resort, I believe a good place would be Texas. It is kind of midway between DLR and WDW, which would help the people in between the resorts unable to travel to either. Plus, it has a warm climate. Texas has a rich history, which would add to the resort even more. However, I believe a rumor about Disney in Texas is just that - a rumor. I've noticed that every other month, each state in the US manages to start a rumor about their state being next on Disney's list. A while back, I found an article on my state being next. I laughed. All we're known for is hillbillies and diamonds; Disney would no way put a resort in my state.
However, a Disney in Texas would be pretty awesome. I also agree with one of the previous posts: Universal Studios in Texas would be pretty awesome.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #155
JoWiJo
Longing to go back

A few weeks ago, I thought about this thread and wondered if it would resurface. Clearly, it has. Fun to dream, but I don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjonasobsessed View Post
If Disney were to build a new resort, I believe a good place would be Texas. It is kind of midway between DLR and WDW, which would help the people in between the resorts unable to travel to either. Plus, it has a warm climate. Texas has a rich history, which would add to the resort even more. However, I believe a rumor about Disney in Texas is just that - a rumor. I've noticed that every other month, each state in the US manages to start a rumor about their state being next on Disney's list. A while back, I found an article on my state being next. I laughed. All we're known for is hillbillies and diamonds; Disney would no way put a resort in my state.
However, a Disney in Texas would be pretty awesome. I also agree with one of the previous posts: Universal Studios in Texas would be pretty awesome.
Not kind of midway. It is midway. Whether you go through Texas on I-10 or I-20, with a direct drive from DLR to WDW, the midway point is somewhere in Texas.

If they did build a park in Texas, I wonder how they'd handle the characters when the temps hit 100° for several days in a row. Or when it hits 105-110°.
Fourth visit 2009 -- Celebrated birthday by visiting Animal Kingdom.
Next visit -- Who knows?
JoWiJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #156
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWiJo View Post
A few weeks ago, I thought about this thread and wondered if it would resurface. Clearly, it has. Fun to dream, but I don't see it happening.

Not kind of midway. It is midway. Whether you go through Texas on I-10 or I-20, with a direct drive from DLR to WDW, the midway point is somewhere in Texas.

If they did build a park in Texas, I wonder how they'd handle the characters when the temps hit 100° for several days in a row. Or when it hits 105-110°.
Yup we are right smack dab in the middle. Having a Disney park or resort within a decent driving range would be AWESOME! We have to fly to get to both and it takes up so much of our vacation budget being a family of four. I could not image being able to just hop in the car and go to Disney....that would be amazing!!! All we have is Six Flags and they are not classy. We have made the drive to WDW before just to try and I hope it never comes to that again lol what a long drive! It does not even have to be a Disney theme park. I would settle for any type of resort by Disney, even like Vero Beach or something. We just need a nice Disney place to get our Disney fix. We do not even have the Disney Cruises porting out of Galveston anymore. There is not Disney anything close to us and it makes me sad...
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #157
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

Back in the late 80's before MGM and AK, there was talk of building a frontier park in Texas, and an American heritage park in the Virginia area. When Universal announced opening a park in Orlando, those plans were scrapped to build MGM, Pleasure Island, and a host of resorts to do battle with Universal. This is the first time I have heard of anything in those areas again, and I do not see it in any other Disney site, so I am guessing it not a park
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #158
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As for wrong side of history, its according to how you look at it.

I dare say Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. (who both lived in Montgomery) would be able to proudly say that they were on the right side of history.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #159
Partytime
Earning My Ears

I'm pretty sure that Universal's business is primarily regional. It is a regional resort( similar to Disneyland Resort in California) in fact that draws some of Disney's national and international business over to it during their stay at Disney. Even though they advertise nationally like Disney does I'm not sure how much of their business is national draw just to go to Universal.

I say this to say I don't know if Universal would strike first at a third location or not. I do think if either Disney or Universal did a third location, the other would probably soon strike nearby (not necessarily within 10 miles of each other such as in Florida) but the same area based on the model of the past where they almost look like they are playing chess with each other--including even internationally to some degree such as in Japan.
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #160
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

In my opinion, putting another Disney park or resort anywhere in North America is unlikely.

If you went Disneyland-sized, you wouldn't get the long-distance draw. The park would mostly benefit locals only, and beyond a curiosity bump by Disney park fans wouldn't get much beyond that. A limited number of things to do with the travel expense and limited vacation time just wouldn't make it worthwhile.

If they went big - another WDW-type - all they'd likely do is cannibalize the tourists from WDW. They'd perhaps get more locals who otherwise wouldn't have gone to WDW, but as a resort destination people would choose between WDW and the new resort...and then it might depend on how big it is - would you start with just two parks? Would that occupy a family's entire vacation? Or would they still choose WDW for more choices? Can you build an even bigger resort to start at huge expense? How soon could you start seeing returns on it?

They've still got room in Florida. They'd likely have to exhaust that long before they'd consider another location in North America.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #161
Partytime
Earning My Ears

Actually Disneyland resort is a regional draw. I think a regional draw type place is all anyone thinks would ever be done if anything done as a third location. There will not be WDW duplicated anywhere in the world actually. Europe's (paris resort)is the only place they actually have space to have a multi park resort but would be crowded together unlike in Florida.

They are probably a decade or two away from the demographics and economic to make good sense to seriously plan a third US location with a regional resort. I do think the Texas population triangle makes the most sense geographically, demographically and climate wise. More specifically, the 35 corridor from DFW to San Antonio is becoming the 5 corridor in southern Cal.
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #162
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Somewhat off topic, but I take exception to what has become a constant theme of calling Disneyland a "regional" park that caters primarily to "locals". It seems to be a condescending attitude. I'm no sure if people intend to put Walt's original park down or not.

Having been to both resorts many times, I am quite aware of the vast difference in the two destinations. Size alone doesn't make Disneyland a so-called "regional park". One could argue that WDW is in a class all by itself. There are no other destinations of its kind in the U.S. But then you have to look at true regional theme parks. Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks are the first that come to mind. In the case of SoCal, Disneyland is the destination. All of the other parks cater to locals.

Attendance comparisons alone between the SoCal tourist attractions proves that Disneyland is MUCH more than a locals park. What is most obvious to me is if it wasn't for the Disney parks on both coasts, Anaheim wouldn't have its "resort" area, and Orlando would still be a swamp.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #163
Disneyspiderman
spiderman wants disney in texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
In my opinion, putting another Disney park or resort anywhere in North America is unlikely.

If you went Disneyland-sized, you wouldn't get the long-distance draw. The park would mostly benefit locals only, and beyond a curiosity bump by Disney park fans wouldn't get much beyond that. A limited number of things to do with the travel expense and limited vacation time just wouldn't make it worthwhile.

If they went big - another WDW-type - all they'd likely do is cannibalize the tourists from WDW. They'd perhaps get more locals who otherwise wouldn't have gone to WDW, but as a resort destination people would choose between WDW and the new resort...and then it might depend on how big it is - would you start with just two parks? Would that occupy a family's entire vacation? Or would they still choose WDW for more choices? Can you build an even bigger resort to start at huge expense? How soon could you start seeing returns on it?

They've still got room in Florida. They'd likely have to exhaust that long before they'd consider another location in North America.
good point but it really dont half to be disney world as Six flags and the Warner Bros have 19 theme parks see disney could possibly build a star wars theme in texas like they are at disneyland in california as a 3rd in another location/state and sure the warner bros been out since the early 1900's but it new things need to come aswell for universal studios aka NBC should build another theme park in texas due to facts they do own alot of business in texas same with disney and there acres they still own Land that was never developed nor constructed same with miniature Disney stores in texas malls

[IMG][/IMG]
Disneyspiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #164
MistyD
Mouseketeer

We've heard the "Disney in TX" rumors for years. If it ever came to pass my DH would quit his job to sell hot dogs or sweep the ground so fast my head would spin....LOL! We do have a lot of space here but like a PP I would have to wonder about characters when it's sooooo hot here in the summer. Although... most WDW M&G areas are indoors nowdays...Hmmmm.... a gal can dream!

04/04 - Dismoon at CBR
12/2004 - Christmas at WL
10/2005 - Halloween at POFQ
12/2008 - Christmas at POFQ
02/2011 - POFQ!
12/2012 - Christmas at POFQ...again!
10/2014 and 11/2014- Halloween AND Christmas at POP!

MistyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #165
seascapemvy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I am so sorry to say this but read your history book. You are so far off you do not deserve a response.
seascapemvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: