Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

We are also from Arizona and getting ready to take our first cruise in July with our 17 month old and 2.75 year old. We have them signed up for the nursery a lot at dinner. We have 6 nights of dinners (one excursion goes long) so I reserved 2 nights 6:30-8:00 and 2 nights 5:30-8:00. I figured that gives us 2 meals all together (which honestly may shrink to one if the first night doesn't go well), 2 nights where we can get their dinner with our appetizers and then run them up to play and 2 nights of dinner without them. I feel like they would rather be playing in the nursery than stuck at a long dinner- but we have main seating. I also scheduled them for 2 hours during the day on Sea Days, including for Palo Brunch. This was mainly to have time booked. I might cancel or adjust the sea day times once on board.

We are going to try 2 shows. Based on reviews here, we are going to try Golden Mickeys and Disney Dreams. My son (now 2.5) sounds a lot like yours- super high energy, never sits still, but sweet as can be and actually fairly obedient in more structured settings, like library class. My daughter is a lot more mellow, but hitting her toddler stride where she wants to be more independent.

My son has been to Disneyland 3 times- at 9,13 and 26 months. He LOVED the characters the first two trips but at 2, took a bit to warm up to them. He has never had a real issue with Santa or the Easter Bunny, he may not be overjoyed, but likes them. My daughter mostly hated the characters at 10 months and really hated Santa and the Easter Bunny this year. So, you just never know I guess!

AZMermaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #17
Asnell
Mouseketeer

When my son was 1 1/2, we went to DL and he surprised us by being in *love* with Mickey and Minnie (he was afraid of Santa, so we weren't sure what to expect).

One of the memories that still tugs my heartstrings even though he's now a sullen 13-y-o... He spotted Minnie walking away toward the "disappearing door" one of our days at DL. He started running after her and calling something. When she didn't turn around, he started crying and kept calling. Minnie didn't hear, but her handler did, and guided her to turn around to where DS was still running to her. She knelt down and opened up her arms for him, and stayed there for several minutes letting him hug her and pat her face.

You may be surprised by what your son chooses to like. Certain things can be really magical to them at that age.
Asnell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

The open houses in the clubs are really great opportunities for you to let them run around and try new things and if you stay with them, you are welcome to go in and let them climb on the play areas during open play:

We asked for a side table for dinners near the windows and my daughter, who was just learning to walk then, would go over to the side of the table to stand and move around. We also put two chairs together to allow her to sleep during dinner.

I brought along a hip sling and this was a life saver to hold her all the time. I am not sure you can see it in this picture, but I had it with me all the time - it was a back saver big time:

As you can see here, This is the only character photo we have from this cruise (we have tons more from more recent cruises, so don't worry, you will have future opportunities because you WILL be back), and the whole concept was not going over well with either of them:

We used the nursery twice, the hours are actually really inconvenient to when we actually wanted to use it, which was during the day for nap time. We did use it for dinner one night and she loved it and slept there just fine. Bring a little cooler because they will want you to bring in the milk and whatever food you may need to provide and they require you bring it in a cooler bag.

We really felt having a verandah was essential for being on board with a toddler. This way we could have her back in the room for nap time and we could sit outside and have a glass of wine or beer and everyone was happy. There really is no where quiet on board that we found that really did the trick for naps other than the cabin. Plus it's hot and being back in the room and cool was essential a lot of days for us.

A lot of people say to bring a collapsible hamper, which is good idea, but I also bring collapsible little boxes to pick up toys around the cabin and put them in. We brought stacking cups, sand toys, little cars, lots of little stuff and it was great to have this in the cabin to contain it all. They fold flat into the luggage.

I also made sure we had collapsible strollers and they fit right into the closets. We loved our Britax strollers.

We had a car seat with us. We bought a car seat bag for it and stored it actually out on the verandah. It was totally fine.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

Last edited by Fantasiesabound; 06-05-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: