Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #76
LindyN
DIS Veteran

Plenty of affluent people stay in Disney Value resorts; take a look at the parking lot and there are lots of nice cars in there that are not rentals.

Deluxe resorts have people in there who saved for years and will never see anything so amazing in their life and don't understand triple sheets on the bed.

BTW, the resort is printed into the numbers on the KTTW cards. Unless you're staying Club Level at a Deluxe resort no one in the parks know where you're staying unless you mention it or you hand over the card and the CM knows the resort code.

For me personally, I can take 4 trips a year if I'm in a Value resort or just 1 trip in a Deluxe. I figure all the beds are comfy and it doesn't really matter where I sleep as long as its clean and safe and in a Disney hotel. We've all got a story and I don't concern myself with others unless they impinge upon my trip in a negative manner.

fwiw.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #77
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyN View Post
Plenty of affluent people stay in Disney Value resorts; take a look at the parking lot and there are lots of nice cars in there that are not rentals.

Deluxe resorts have people in there who saved for years and will never see anything so amazing in their life and don't understand triple sheets on the bed.

BTW, the resort is printed into the numbers on the KTTW cards. Unless you're staying Club Level at a Deluxe resort no one in the parks know where you're staying unless you mention it or you hand over the card and the CM knows the resort code.

For me personally, I can take 4 trips a year if I'm in a Value resort or just 1 trip in a Deluxe. I figure all the beds are comfy and it doesn't really matter where I sleep as long as its clean and safe and in a Disney hotel. We've all got a story and I don't concern myself with others unless they impinge upon my trip in a negative manner.

fwiw.

If I had the option of 4 trips v 1 trip,I would take quantity every time- no contest.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #78
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?
One cm says "that's great" and ANOTHER says "How wonderful."

It's entirely possible that each is using his/her standard response.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #79
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Stayed in all levels including GF CL and Poly CL & the only thing CMs have ever commented on was the "gold" KTTK card, they would just say they hadn't seen gold & ask why it's that color. We would just tell them it's CL & they would just be like oh ok, good to know..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #80
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.
This happens more than you may think and it has nothing to do with the level of resort you stay at. I have had this happen staying CL and no where near my limit. It happened a couple times in January staying BWI CL, I just went to the desk and had them straighten it out. Some restaurants will "push it through" and others decline altogether. I carry a credit card with me for those occasions. It happens so often that I don't think most places think anything of it. Annoying but I don't get embarrassed about it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
This has been the case for as long as I can remember. And, if I do remember correctly, the amount that can be charged up to, is listed on the checkin paper that you sign, when you leave a cc. I have had that happen at BC before. Before we traveled, I had my dh make sure the debit cards had a high enough daily limit to allow us to check out of the BC easily. Okay. Well, seems he forgot that he was leaving a few days before my dd and I were..and he didn't increase the limit on my card!!!! Duh!!! So, had to call him (thank heavens he was still at home), he went to the bank and fixed it and called me back. The manager at the BC was more than a little snooty at that point. He just refused to believe it was a simple oversight.
When I've stayed at a value, I've almost always had to call the resort to authorized further charges..usually the end of the stay!! It's just not a problem...I figure it's going to happen and am prepared.

There is a reason all our room keys (except for concierge rooms) are the same. There is no easy way to look at a room key and figure out where that person is staying. It's all in the code.
And yes, deluxe resorts do have closer bus stops. That's one of the reasons they are deluxes...somewhat better transportation. But only somewhat. An addtl 40' isn't going to make a huge difference to me.

I've stayed at almost all the resorts. The only ones I have yet to stay at are the GF, CSR, CBR and POFQ. Stayed at all the rest. And each one has it's great points. The one that I have zero interest in staying at? GF. It just doesn't appeal to me. Yet, we have friends that stay only there. They stayed at the YC once.....almost liked it. But went back to the GF and are now hoping to buy DVC there.
I find lots to chat about when discussing all the various resorts.
Concierge room keys are the same now, you may still see some gold keys until they are used up, but they will be the same. When we checked in the YC they said they don't have the gold cards any more. When we checked into the GF we were given gold cards but mine didn't work...they tried with four different cards and none worked, DH's worked fine. They finally got us new blue cards and they worked. The manager said they are all going to be blue now, that the blue cards have better chips in them.

I have never experienced any snobbery at Disney, nor do I feel we have received any better tables in restaurants because of where we were staying. We stay deluxe because we do spend a lot of time at the resort and we are not taking kids now. The values were not built when DS was little so it wasn't an option or we probably would have stayed in them for the theming. He would have loved Pop and AoA.
Maxie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #81
Maxie86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Stayed in all levels including GF CL and Poly CL & the only thing CMs have ever commented on was the "gold" KTTK card, they would just say they hadn't seen gold & ask why it's that color. We would just tell them it's CL & they would just be like oh ok, good to know..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013
Exactly our experience, most CM's do not know what the gold KTTW card is, or even what CL is most of the time unless they are resort CM's. I am ignored in stores just as often staying GF CL as anywhere else, sometimes I think I am invisible.
Maxie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #82
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie86 View Post
Exactly our experience, most CM's do not know what the gold KTTW card is, or even what CL is most of the time unless they are resort CM's. I am ignored in stores just as often staying GF CL as anywhere else, sometimes I think I am invisible.
I've never been ignored in a store by a cm.
did you borrow Harry potter's invisibility cloak?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #83
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

We have had many CM's ask where we are staying.

I think it's usually meant as just a conversation starter.

The responses have run the gamut from, "Oh, I used to work there", "That's one of my favorite resorts", to things like "That's great", or "That's wonderful", or "My parents stayed there last month."

You just may be reading a little too much into this.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #84
Ali
DIS Veteran

Do you think that the perceptions of snobbery derive from the person's feelings associated with the resort in which they are staying? Perhaps staying in something called a "value" resort and knowing that "deluxe" resorts exist that have perks and better quality things causes a sense of loss and guilt and anger that is exposed by the way the person interprets all comments?

I've stayed in almost every resort but still dream of staying in the Poly because I haven't decided to pay the higher price yet. I will one day. I still carry my gold KTTW card from my GF concierge stay because it brings me such good family memories when I look at it.

I am happy for everyone who gets to go to Disney and have a vacation because the idea of people treating you differently based on which level of h0tel you occupy is such a first world problem it is laughable.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #85
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
I noticed that the deluxe buses seem to pick up/drop off closer to the park entrances than the ones for the value resorts. Maybe it was just the impression that I got because I was tired and had further to walk because I was staying at ASMo. I never noticed the difference when I was staying at a deluxe resort.
I noticed this on February and even commented about it with my mom, no matter which park you go, the higher the cost of the resort you're staying the closer the bus pick up were to the entrance of the park. But I don't see it as snobbery really. All Star and Pop have more guests than GF so they need more space for queues which is easier to do the further you go from the park entrance.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #86
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
I noticed this on February and even commented about it with my mom, no matter which park you go, the higher the cost of the resort you're staying the closer the bus pick up were to the entrance of the park. But I don't see it as snobbery really. All Star and Pop have more guests than GF so they need more space for queues which is easier to do the further you go from the park entrance.
I don't think it's snobbery to put deluxe buses closer to the entrance. Deluxe should mean that guests get the most convenient and luxurious treatment.

I think it's ideal that there is a range of resorts because that means more people and their kids can have the Disney experience. One of my former students is a single mom who works her butt off. She was able to afford to take her son to WDW and give him the vacation that all the kids talk about because there are reasonably priced resorts. If anyone sees anything wrong with buying what you can afford, I don't know what their problem is.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #87
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Do you think that the perceptions of snobbery derive from the person's feelings associated with the resort in which they are staying? Perhaps staying in something called a "value" resort and knowing that "deluxe" resorts exist that have perks and better quality things causes a sense of loss and guilt and anger that is exposed by the way the person interprets all comments?

I've stayed in almost every resort but still dream of staying in the Poly because I haven't decided to pay the higher price yet. I will one day. I still carry my gold KTTW card from my GF concierge stay because it brings me such good family memories when I look at it.

I am happy for everyone who gets to go to Disney and have a vacation because the idea of people treating you differently based on which level of h0tel you occupy is such a first world problem it is laughable.
Your last sentence,so true.

I think my own personal experiences seem to have rarely been repeated with others,so that's good.
I remember quite clearly though when we first stayed at pop,a dvc rep actually told my ds we were in a value resort,and we should aim higher.
I was not impressed,and obviously scarred

I think naming resorts value,moderate and deluxe is obviously descriptive,but in no way an actual reflection of a Disney resort stay.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #88
susy
3000+ post veteran!

Now that I can't go AT ALL, this whole discussion seems silly. If someone told me today that I could come along on their trip, but that we would be staying at the All Star Sports, it wouldn't take me two minutes to be packed and in the car. I MISS DISNEY
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #89
susy
3000+ post veteran!

...and there you see all my club level stays in my signature...
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #90
AJA
DIS Veteran

I haven't noticed anything like out right snobbery. And I'll start my post by saying we are DVC members and own at BCV but also love Port Orleans French Quarter (moderate resort) and would not think twice about staying at FQ if for some reason we didn't have points, couldn't get a last minute DVC room, etc.

Sometimes if we mention we're staying at BC a CM will say something like "I love the Boardwalk area" or "they have the best pool!" etc. Those are comments we don't hear if we say we're staying at FQ, but on the other hand I have had a CM say they love the beignets and FQ lol.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: