Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #46
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears
 
WDW in Pearls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by susy View Post
I've stayed at many different resorts (see sig) and all I can say now that I'm divorced and living on my teacher's salary is that even the values are NOT CHEAP...it still may take people a long time to save up to go... my ex and I got to a point in our lives where staying deluxe on the club level was nothing and now I CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO AT ALL...yet, I'm the same person that loved my Yacht Club!!!You never know what's going to happen in life so it's better not to make declarations of where you would never stay... look at my signature and look at me now!
And no matter how little money you spend at Disney, you could be taking that money elsewhere. I bet there are a lot of frugal vacationers who combined make for a large portion of WDWs revenue. Guests are guests, and someone staying at a value resort's money is just as green as someone staying at the GF.
__________________
Disney Inn 1988 Polynesian 1989-1993, Club Level 1995-1996, 2000-2001
Grand Floridian Club Level 1994 Pop Century 2008 Dolphin 2011
Wilderness Lodge 2012 and 2013First Disney Cruise in 2014??


WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #47
married2mm
DIS Veteran
 
married2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I experienced this the one time I did stay at a value. Nothing against people who like value resorts, but I just like more "romantic" theming because its just DBF and I and no kids so we always do deluxe. I think some kids would probably prefer the All Star theming over the deluxes, though.

The one time I stayed at a value was because I was the date of someone who was in a bridal party, and the bridal party was asked to stay in that room block. It was just easier transportation wise. I'm not snobby enough to throw a wrench in someone's wedding agenda because I feel I'm too good for a value resort, lol!

Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.

I was a little upset about this but did end up buying a few dresses (they're not cheap!). I was a little bummed out but wandered to the part of the GF where the bridal party's pics were being taken. One of the women from the store walks up with a man, and introduces me to the manager of the GF. She goes, "This is Samantha, she was shopping with us today and got her hair done upstairs." He was extremely polite and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. They kept going on and on about my dress, hair, how pretty I was...yes I know it sounds shallow but it really made me feel like a princess after a stressful week. So I guess I experienced both sides of the spectrum in one day?
Interesting story.

Reminded me of a friend in a jewellery store.
He had ordered his fiancee ring,he went straight from work-suited and booted.received impeccable attention,couldn't do enough for him.
Returned to order wedding rings,in his sweats,still the same man,as pp said,nothing else was different about him,but he was treated with disdain.
He left and went elsewhere.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #48
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.
I think this has more to do with the package delivery system than it has to do with where you are staying. I had wanted to make a purchase in the GF gift shop when we were staying in the YC but I didn't want to carry it around. The CM informed me that it could take as long as 5 days for the package to go from GF to YC. By then, we would have been back home!

I ended up not making the purchase.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.





Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,651
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I experienced this the one time I did stay at a value. Nothing against people who like value resorts, but I just like more "romantic" theming because its just DBF and I and no kids so we always do deluxe. I think some kids would probably prefer the All Star theming over the deluxes, though.

The one time I stayed at a value was because I was the date of someone who was in a bridal party, and the bridal party was asked to stay in that room block. It was just easier transportation wise. I'm not snobby enough to throw a wrench in someone's wedding agenda because I feel I'm too good for a value resort, lol!

Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.

I was a little upset about this but did end up buying a few dresses (they're not cheap!). I was a little bummed out but wandered to the part of the GF where the bridal party's pics were being taken. One of the women from the store walks up with a man, and introduces me to the manager of the GF. She goes, "This is Samantha, she was shopping with us today and got her hair done upstairs." He was extremely polite and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. They kept going on and on about my dress, hair, how pretty I was...yes I know it sounds shallow but it really made me feel like a princess after a stressful week. So I guess I experienced both sides of the spectrum in one day?
Nope, it's the whole delivery system. I bought something (or was going to) at the CR. I asked if I could have it delivered to my resort. They asked which one, I told them it was BWV. They apologized and said it would take up to 5 days to do that. I left the purchase sitting there...no way was I carrying it around with me for the rest of the day!!

And those resort bus stops at Epcot? Ever walked to the bus for Pop??? Best take a snack with you. There aren't any that are further away!!!
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #50
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
Interesting story.

Reminded me of a friend in a jewellery store.
He had ordered his fiancee ring,he went straight from work-suited and booted.received impeccable attention,couldn't do enough for him.
Returned to order wedding rings,in his sweats,still the same man,as pp said,nothing else was different about him,but he was treated with disdain.
He left and went elsewhere.
Similar story - my husband has a 1989 Corvette convertible that we bought way back in 1992. Actually *we* didn't buy it, it was a gift from his parents (yes, they are awesome). We get treated differently when we're in that car than we do when we get out of my 2006 Malibu Maxx that we bought with our own money. But we paid for the Maxx and not the Corvette.

Humans are odd creatures.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #51
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by susy View Post
I've stayed at many different resorts (see sig) and all I can say now that I'm divorced and living on my teacher's salary is that even the values are NOT CHEAP...it still may take people a long time to save up to go... my ex and I got to a point in our lives where staying deluxe on the club level was nothing and now I CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO AT ALL...yet, I'm the same person that loved my Yacht Club!!!You never know what's going to happen in life so it's better not to make declarations of where you would never stay... look at my signature and look at me now!
Same here. Stayed at all levels but the economy can hit you hard. Both of us out of work for a year and a half and then later, me out for two and a have years. We have gone value now and love it. But still the same people. I know my husband lugged a case of beer across the lobby of the elegant Yacht Club and he does the same from the parking lot of Pop Century. No shame and if other don't like it, tough.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #52
married2mm
DIS Veteran
 
married2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

Humans are odd creatures.

So true.
My favourite quote of the day.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #53
EagleScout
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 476

Snobbery is an odd thing - sometimes it is truly baffling. I have sensitive feet and certain of the high-end brands are worth it for me - but I have sometimes walked into their boutique stores even wearing their product, and the salespeople were still rude/dismissive. Regarding deluxes, we only stay there, but mainly b/c out toddler is somewhat "spirited" and I often have to spend some of our vacation working, so my wife needs at least one or two parks that do not require a bus without me.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #54
toodycat
DIS Veteran
 
toodycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,109

[QUOTE=A_Princess'_Daddy;48483694]The issue is that they clear the charges to the credit card overnight, and not when you hit the limit, so it's feasible, even likely, that you'll hit your limit mid-day and have your card declined. It's not the end of the world, but it's still a hassle. We've only stayed in Deluxes, but after the first time having that happen to us, I now go to the front desk every few days and ask them to proactively sweep the charges to avoid the issue.[/QUOTE

Our whole family stayed at the GF RPC last fall, courtesy of my parents. They paid for all three rooms, park passes for 7 people at check-in and dinner every night. On our third day. Mom and I were buying $40 worth of soap at Basin White when her card was rejected. We were mortified, but the CMs explained that this was a pretty standard. We paid cash, called the desk and found that the card had been swept. It is not a big deal, but it was embarrassing.
__________________
Wilderness Lodge/MVMCP 12/13
Beach Club Villas '13
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #55
sapdaddy2
Mouseketeer
 
sapdaddy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Somersworth,NH
Posts: 162

I myself have never ran into snobbery but my sister did in 2007 when she and her husband stayed with us at FW in my RV. She was wearing a FW t-shirt one day. Some woman in one of the lines made a comment that it must be hard to only afford a camping vacation at Disney and not be able to get a room at a real resort. She looked at the woman and said " I am staying in a motor home and do you have any idea how much one of those things cost, I could stay at the Grand Floridian in the best suite for a month for less that the cost of the RV I am staying in"
sapdaddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #56
Tink415
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?
No, the only place I've noticed this is in posts on the DIS.

The resort bus stops at parks & DD change every so often. What's front of the line on one vists changes. Forget where I read or heard this, but I recall that resorts bid on spots.

Charging limits for resorts have been forever, many times it just starts over without having to call. I can recall only 1 time did I get my KTTK declined, and we were staying at ASMo and at BBB in DD. The CM said I would have to use a different payment method and I said no, I'd like to call the resort. It took some time but that's what I did.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #57
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,511

No. I've never experienced this from a CM or guest. Nor would I snob myself.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
2003 - CR
2004 - Disneyland/CR/Shades of Green
2005 - DoubleTree WDW/ POP/ Shades of Green
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #58
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran
 
jaykorf001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KC MO area
Posts: 516

Slightly off subject but this thread reminds me of how rudely I was treated at a Louis Vuitton store by a sales person. I guess my shorts and t-shirt were not up to snuff. However, what did Julia Roberts character say in Pretty Woman?? Big mistake. My sister ended up spending quite a large sum of money that day. And guess who was NOT the commissioned sales person? You never know and should never make assumptions about people. Plus it's classless.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #59
gogo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 540

I've run into snobby people at Disney but it really didn't seem to have anything to do with the resort choice. I've seen snobby people in the parks, restaurants, resorts and on the different modes of transportation. People don't change who they are just because they are stepping on Disney property.

The only comment I received was one time when showing my room key for evening extra magic hours, a cm commented that staying club level was nice. I wondered how she knew this and she stated it was the gold key. She wasn't being snobby, just commenting on how nice club level was.

I think it is common for people to be treated differently depending on how you are dressed. Someone wearing sweats probably will be treated different than someone who is well dressed especially in a high-end store unless they know you.

I've been on some pretty nice shopping avenues and I won't go in to certain stores if I feel like I am not dressed in a certain way. Not saying it's right but it's just the way it is. People judge all the time.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #60
married2mm
DIS Veteran
 
married2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdaddy2 View Post
I myself have never ran into snobbery but my sister did in 2007 when she and her husband stayed with us at FW in my RV. She was wearing a FW t-shirt one day. Some woman in one of the lines made a comment that it must be hard to only afford a camping vacation at Disney and not be able to get a room at a real resort. She looked at the woman and said " I am staying in a motor home and do you have any idea how much one of those things cost, I could stay at the Grand Floridian in the best suite for a month for less that the cost of the RV I am staying in"
That's shocking!

My sister has a motor home,and it cost more than our house
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.