Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
jewood1234
Earning My Ears

We've been over a dozen times over the years and have done the value resorts with family and deluxe for a romantic weekend and all in between.

Has only been an issue once and it was not a big deal at all. We had reservations at Boma and got off at the Kidani bus drop off coming from the parks by mistake. A CM asked if were staying there and mentioned , no that we were probably lost. They asked what resort and smirked when we said all star sports. He mentioned that we should have picked a "better resort" and pointed us toward the restaurant.

No biggie, unusual for the normally outstanding Disney service though!!
jewood1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Classiness has nothing to do with your W-2.
I always say to myself/DBF about people who think they are "better off" Money doesn't buy morals, manners, or intelligence.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
This is the limit that they "ding" your card; not the only amount you can spend the entire trip you are there.

You can spend $1,500.00 if you stay in the values if you want, it is just they will ding your card three times.

There may have been something else wrong, either the way the CM loaded the cc. the wrong way on the computer or the bank had an issue.

But you can spend as much as you want at any level.
The issue is that they clear the charges to the credit card overnight, and not when you hit the limit, so it's feasible, even likely, that you'll hit your limit mid-day and have your card declined. It's not the end of the world, but it's still a hassle. We've only stayed in Deluxes, but after the first time having that happen to us, I now go to the front desk every few days and ask them to proactively sweep the charges to avoid the issue.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
I always say to myself/DBF about people who think they are "better off" Money doesn't buy morals, manners, or intelligence.
This is VERY true, I've witnessed some pretty classless folks at some very expensive places

I've never witnessed any snobbery from CMs in regards to resorts, but I've never stayed at a Value (not that I wouldn't, I just don't care for the theming) and if I had heard or seen anything you bet somebody at Disney would have heard it from me! The only time I'm ever been asked by a CM what resort I'm staying at is at the shops when they're filling out the package delivery forms, and I've never had a comment or a look whether I'm staying at a Mod or Deluxe

I feel like the snobbery comes more from other guests than employees. People love to judge, whether they think you're spending too much or not enough.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I've stayed at all levels and never noticed different levels of perceived "snobbery".
Me neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
also had this snobbery from a co-worker.
we go to disney at least once a year, at least! we have stayed in several resorts but i LOVE the pop. thats where we have stayed every time over the last ten years. last year i spent over a month there.
so a co-worker who had never been to disney decides to take her family. she books the poly and plans her stay for a week. for six months all i hear is how she's staying at such a nice resort and while she doesn't come right out and say it, she lets me know its a shame i only stay at the pop. she tells me she's so much better than that, her children deserve more. i just kept nodding my head. even when the trip was over all i heard was how she stayed at the polly, she's sure the pop is nice but she could never stay there.
funniest thing about it is i could afford to stay at the polly every time i go and not worry about the bill and she doesn't have a penny, shes still paying the trip off and will b e for quite some time.
go ahead and stick that nose in the air......lol
that is funny. Yes, hope she us enjoying paying off her Poly stay

It is true, Deluxe (most of the time) resorts have the closest bus stops, and I wouldn't expect people who are paying top dollar to stay at a Deluxe to have the end bus stop. Has nothing to do with snobbery and more to do with what you're paying for. Sort of like buying tickets for a show. The cheap seats aren't going to be front row. If you want front row seats, you're going to pay for it.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVASTGrl View Post
This is VERY true, I've witnessed some pretty classless folks at some very expensive places

I've never witnessed any snobbery from CMs in regards to resorts, but I've never stayed at a Value (not that I wouldn't, I just don't care for the theming) and if I had heard or seen anything you bet somebody at Disney would have heard it from me! The only time I'm ever been asked by a CM what resort I'm staying at is at the shops when they're filling out the package delivery forms, and I've never had a comment or a look whether I'm staying at a Mod or Deluxe

I feel like the snobbery comes more from other guests than employees. People love to judge, whether they think you're spending too much or not enough.

I have never noticed any judgement from guests or Cm's. The only place I have noticed it is on these boards. If you don't like values your a snob....people that stay deluxe are throwing their money away etc etc.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #37
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
It is true, Deluxe (most of the time) resorts have the closest bus stops, and I wouldn't expect people who are paying top dollar to stay at a Deluxe to have the end bus stop. Has nothing to do with snobbery and more to do with what you're paying for. Sort of like buying tickets for a show. The cheap seats aren't going to be front row. If you want front row seats, you're going to pay for it.
The bus stop at Epcot for Wilderness Lodge is the farthest away stop on the far side of the circle. And buses for the deluxe resorts usually share with other deluxes, which isn't always a benefit.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
Disneymommyof4
Earning My Ears

We took my Mom last year and had reservations at POP. She took one look at the room and refused to stay. She called the front desk and complained and it was so embarrassing. The did upgrade us to CBR for FREE !!! It is such an awesome resort. I would have been perfectly happy with me and my hubby and kids at POP. However, now that I know how nice CBR is we will pay the extra to stay there. It is sooo nice
Disneymommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
David Brent
Mouseketeer

All I can say is...WOW to some of these stories...I don't care where I am staying at, all I know is that I'm not at work and I'm blessed and thankful to be able to visit WDW as much as I do with my wife. My main concern isn't where I'm staying at, but how the weather will be when I visit.
David Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #40
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Not only have I not noticed a difference in cast members but also the guests. It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover- we see the same crowd at the Poly as we do AoA or Pop. We're staying poly CL next week but we're getting it 40% off. You never know people's story for why they choose resorts. This is one of the reasons that I love Disney so much- you feel the same magic everywhere on property.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Last edited by polyfor4; 05-24-2013 at 12:24 AM.
polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #41
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
I honestly can't recall a time where a cast member has ever asked where I was staying.
I know I've heard CMs ask that before. However, I don't recall a negative reaction no matter which resort I've said. I do remember some CMs making comments when we've had concierge level KTTW cards. Nothing over the top or degrading to any of the other accommodations or guests. We've only had two trips with those cards though, once when we were upgraded from a standard room and another time when they ran out of the blue ones.

We've enjoyed stays at all levels. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in reality say something bad about a Disney hotel I have stayed at. I've even heard positive things from people about their stays at value resorts when they hear that we go to Disney a lot, unashamed and unabashedly.

From my experience, the resort wars are an internet phenomena.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #42
susy
3000+ post veteran!

That's ridiculous because in reality (on a credit card) there's not much difference between 500 and 1500...they're hurting their own business when placing a limit of 500, too, since WE ALL KNOW that 500 can be spent in a heartbeat at Disney!
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #43
susy
3000+ post veteran!

I've stayed at many different resorts (see sig) and all I can say now that I'm divorced and living on my teacher's salary is that even the values are NOT CHEAP...it still may take people a long time to save up to go... my ex and I got to a point in our lives where staying deluxe on the club level was nothing and now I CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO AT ALL...yet, I'm the same person that loved my Yacht Club!!!You never know what's going to happen in life so it's better not to make declarations of where you would never stay... look at my signature and look at me now!
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #44
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

I experienced this the one time I did stay at a value. Nothing against people who like value resorts, but I just like more "romantic" theming because its just DBF and I and no kids so we always do deluxe. I think some kids would probably prefer the All Star theming over the deluxes, though.

The one time I stayed at a value was because I was the date of someone who was in a bridal party, and the bridal party was asked to stay in that room block. It was just easier transportation wise. I'm not snobby enough to throw a wrench in someone's wedding agenda because I feel I'm too good for a value resort, lol!

Anyway, I kind of got that vibe in Summerlace in the GF. I was trying on a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer dresses and asked if they could hold them because I didn't have time to drop them off before the wedding. They told me if I was staying at one of the hotels they could send them there. Tone of the conversation completely changed when I said where I was staying. They claimed I could only do it for Poly/GF/CR. I don't know how true that is.

I was a little upset about this but did end up buying a few dresses (they're not cheap!). I was a little bummed out but wandered to the part of the GF where the bridal party's pics were being taken. One of the women from the store walks up with a man, and introduces me to the manager of the GF. She goes, "This is Samantha, she was shopping with us today and got her hair done upstairs." He was extremely polite and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. They kept going on and on about my dress, hair, how pretty I was...yes I know it sounds shallow but it really made me feel like a princess after a stressful week. So I guess I experienced both sides of the spectrum in one day?

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #45
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
The bus stop at Epcot for Wilderness Lodge is the farthest away stop on the far side of the circle. And buses for the deluxe resorts usually share with other deluxes, which isn't always a benefit.
Coming out of DS, if you walk straight out, the first bus stop is CSR. If you turn right, the first stop is AKL though. At DTD AKL and CSR share a bus stop (the very last one). Also at DTD the very first bus is shared by Old Key West and Port Orleans. Before they moved the bus stops about two years ago, CSR used to be the very first bus stop coming out of MK, now it's on the far side, down past all three of the All Stars. Only Pop is further. Coming out of Epcot, if you go straight, the first three stops are usually CSR, POFQ, and PORS. For some reason, even though it's a moderate too, CBR is way down past those in the next section with the value resorts. The Deluxes are off to the right and some of them are alot further out than the CSR, POFQ, or PORS stops that you walk straight out to. I remember not only WL, but BW and YC both being really far around there.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: