Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.
This really frustrates me, I remember we were staying at POFQ in 2 rooms without a dining plan, absolutely everything we purchased/ate in Disney was charged to one room, we spent close to $3,000 on food/drinks/gifts etc that trip and had to have the limit increased via a phone call when purchasing some items in Epcot - I'm pretty certain thy gave us a larger increase during that call when my father confirmed the credit card they were charging had over $10,000 worth of available credit.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

I honestly can't recall a time where a cast member has ever asked where I was staying.
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
I honestly can't recall a time where a cast member has ever asked where I was staying.
We've been asked several times.
Maybe it's as we've travelled from the UK?
Had both onsite and offsite stays-they've definitely generated different reactions,but can't recall any difference in reactions to our chosen resort.

The differentiation in charging is intriguing-as a pp said,just because you are at club level in contemporary or pop-does not reflect one's financial situation

Btw- i didn't even know a platinum level existed- what does it entail?
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.
This is the limit that they "ding" your card; not the only amount you can spend the entire trip you are there.

You can spend $1,500.00 if you stay in the values if you want, it is just they will ding your card three times.

There may have been something else wrong, either the way the CM loaded the cc. the wrong way on the computer or the bank had an issue.

But you can spend as much as you want at any level.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I personally do not see the vast difference between saying "great" and "wonderful". It's not like one was saying "oh, that's too bad" to the value guest.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Daisy'sPal
Earning My Ears

There can be...

All of my friends are avid Disney travellers and yes, in my group, there is some snobbery attached to where you stay.

A few of us like to try them all and have stayed at all different levels. We like or dislike different resorts for different reasons, regardless of what we paid to sleep there.

...but there's always that one person who "only stays at (Insert Deluxe Resort here)" and wants to know if you're hard-up for cash if you stay at a Value Resort.

Fun is where you make it. For me, I want the full Disney experience and I plan to stay at all of them because it's a new adventure every time.

Always staying in one place because you pass judgement on a resort you have never stayed only cheats you out of a new experience.
Daisy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

also had this snobbery from a co-worker.
we go to disney at least once a year, at least! we have stayed in several resorts but i LOVE the pop. thats where we have stayed every time over the last ten years. last year i spent over a month there.
so a co-worker who had never been to disney decides to take her family. she books the poly and plans her stay for a week. for six months all i hear is how she's staying at such a nice resort and while she doesn't come right out and say it, she lets me know its a shame i only stay at the pop. she tells me she's so much better than that, her children deserve more. i just kept nodding my head. even when the trip was over all i heard was how she stayed at the polly, she's sure the pop is nice but she could never stay there.
funniest thing about it is i could afford to stay at the polly every time i go and not worry about the bill and she doesn't have a penny, shes still paying the trip off and will b e for quite some time.
go ahead and stick that nose in the air......lol
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I think people can be snobs at all levels. My absolute favorite resort is the GF, but I met one woman who looked down her nose at me because I was staying GF and she was at the WL when it was brand new, so obviously her resort was better. Sometimes DVC owners will make a point of mentioning the perks they get or all the extra space they have. I have also met "value snobs" who are all too eager to tell me how foolish I am to be spending all that money to stay deluxe when I could stay longer if I stayed at a value.(I can't stay longer. DH isn't allowed to take more than a week off at once.) Then, there are the people who say the GF is "stuffy" and the guests are "snobby." So, I think people are just eager to validate their own choices---sometimes at the expense of others. As for CMs, I've never heard of them judging where you stay, though sometimes I've heard them say a certain resort or restaurant us their favorite.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
I think people can be snobs at all levels. My absolute favorite resort is the GF, but I met one woman who looked down her nose at me because I was staying GF and she was at the WL when it was brand new, so obviously her resort was better. Sometimes DVC owners will make a point of mentioning the perks they get or all the extra space they have. I have also met "value snobs" who are all too eager to tell me how foolish I am to be spending all that money to stay deluxe when I could stay longer if I stayed at a value.(I can't stay longer. DH isn't allowed to take more than a week off at once.) Then, there are the people who say the GF is "stuffy" and the guests are "snobby." So, I think people are just eager to validate their own choices---sometimes at the expense of others. As for CMs, I've never heard of them judging where you stay, though sometimes I've heard them say a certain resort or restaurant us their favorite.
I love it so,when others feel the need to pass judgement on your personal choices
It's your choice,and that's all that matters.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #25
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
I've been asked at every restaurant when we check in at the podium. They ask if you're staying in a Disney resort and if the answer is "yes" they ask "which one?" and then they inquire as to whether you are on the dining plan.

I also know that we have consistently gotten good tables when we have stayed club level and the IPO has made our dining reservations. It does seem as if it carries a little more weight. But I don't think that service was any more attentive when we stayed club level nor was it less than stellar when I stayed at a value resort.

I noticed that the deluxe buses seem to pick up/drop off closer to the park entrances than the ones for the value resorts. Maybe it was just the impression that I got because I was tired and had further to walk because I was staying at ASMo. I never noticed the difference when I was staying at a deluxe resort.

Now when it comes to the reactions of other guests to where people are staying, I've seen judgement from both ends. You hear some people making snide comments about the "rich" guests who are staying in the GF and you also hear derisive comments about the economic status of people who are staying in the value resorts. Classiness has nothing to do with your W-2.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
also had this snobbery from a co-worker.
we go to disney at least once a year, at least! we have stayed in several resorts but i LOVE the pop. thats where we have stayed every time over the last ten years. last year i spent over a month there.
so a co-worker who had never been to disney decides to take her family. she books the poly and plans her stay for a week. for six months all i hear is how she's staying at such a nice resort and while she doesn't come right out and say it, she lets me know its a shame i only stay at the pop. she tells me she's so much better than that, her children deserve more. i just kept nodding my head. even when the trip was over all i heard was how she stayed at the polly, she's sure the pop is nice but she could never stay there.
funniest thing about it is i could afford to stay at the polly every time i go and not worry about the bill and she doesn't have a penny, shes still paying the trip off and will b e for quite some time.
go ahead and stick that nose in the air......lol
I get you with the odd co workers
I once worked with a guy who told me he had looked into "doing Disney",but would not spend money on the tickets,never mind the average or below par hotels?!
I did not engage with him any further!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
This has been the case for as long as I can remember. And, if I do remember correctly, the amount that can be charged up to, is listed on the checkin paper that you sign, when you leave a cc. I have had that happen at BC before. Before we traveled, I had my dh make sure the debit cards had a high enough daily limit to allow us to check out of the BC easily. Okay. Well, seems he forgot that he was leaving a few days before my dd and I were..and he didn't increase the limit on my card!!!! Duh!!! So, had to call him (thank heavens he was still at home), he went to the bank and fixed it and called me back. The manager at the BC was more than a little snooty at that point. He just refused to believe it was a simple oversight.
When I've stayed at a value, I've almost always had to call the resort to authorized further charges..usually the end of the stay!! It's just not a problem...I figure it's going to happen and am prepared.

There is a reason all our room keys (except for concierge rooms) are the same. There is no easy way to look at a room key and figure out where that person is staying. It's all in the code.
And yes, deluxe resorts do have closer bus stops. That's one of the reasons they are deluxes...somewhat better transportation. But only somewhat. An addtl 40' isn't going to make a huge difference to me.

I've stayed at almost all the resorts. The only ones I have yet to stay at are the GF, CSR, CBR and POFQ. Stayed at all the rest. And each one has it's great points. The one that I have zero interest in staying at? GF. It just doesn't appeal to me. Yet, we have friends that stay only there. They stayed at the YC once.....almost liked it. But went back to the GF and are now hoping to buy DVC there.
I find lots to chat about when discussing all the various resorts.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #28
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That bugs me as well. One trip to buy Dooney and Bourke bags and I'm done. We spend a extended time in the world so this is always a issue for us. I like the convienve of my KTTWC but sometimes it is more of a hassle.

But as far as the cm's I never notice it. You get more of it here.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
I've been asked at every restaurant when we check in at the podium. They ask if you're staying in a Disney resort and if the answer is "yes" they ask "which one?" and then they inquire as to whether you are on the dining plan.

I also know that we have consistently gotten good tables when we have stayed club level and the IPO has made our dining reservations. It does seem as if it carries a little more weight. But I don't think that service was any more attentive when we stayed club level nor was it less than stellar when I stayed at a value resort.

I noticed that the deluxe buses seem to pick up/drop off closer to the park entrances than the ones for the value resorts. Maybe it was just the impression that I got because I was tired and had further to walk because I was staying at ASMo. I never noticed the difference when I was staying at a deluxe resort.

Now when it comes to the reactions of other guests to where people are staying, I've seen judgement from both ends. You hear some people making snide comments about the "rich" guests who are staying in the GF and you also hear derisive comments about the economic status of people who are staying in the value resorts. Classiness has nothing to do with your W-2.
Ok. We've stayed offsite for some of our trips, but the last 2 times I went were onsite. Both club level (YC and BWI).
The time we stayed BWI CL, we went to Hoop de doo, and got, what I felt, was the best table in the house.
But that same trip, we went to Garden Grill, and tried to give us a table that I thought was not as nice (on the upper level). I had to specifically ask for a lower level table.
We weren't asked at the podium what resort we were staying at, but we were asked about dining plans (which we were not on during the BWI trip). I've always just figured that most seating was luck of the draw, and according to what tables would best accommodate the specific party.
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I attach my credit card to the room key (just in case) but I also carry that credit card with me. That way, no limits. I travel extremely light in the parks with only a very small (I mean, VERY small) over the shoulder bag with me and one extra card is not going to make me fall over from the weight. My phone weighs more than that extra card.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: