Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #166
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,267
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?
I am afraid I don't see the difference.

I mean, is there a really huge difference between saying "that's great" and "that's wonderful?"

If they'd wrinkled the nose and said "Maybe you can afford a better resort next time" after one mentions Allstars, then yes.

Wouldn't this also be "spoken" snobbery, if indeed the different choice of words can be considered snobbery - some people just like using certain words - rather than "unspoken?"
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #167
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears
 
WDW in Pearls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

Bus stops, and bus service is not dependant on the level of the resort. If it was, every deluxe resort would have its own bus to those parks not serviced by the monorail (or friendship boats at the Epcot area resorts). And yet these resorts have to share buses to other areas. The moderates do not, as a rule. Nor do the values (AS resorts excepted).

If Disney considered bus transportation a perk for deluxe resort guests, they'd have dedicated buses for each resort (AKL is the only deluxe that has this- out of geographic necessity). And probably beverage and food snacks being wheeled up and down the aisle. Oh wait, if they did that then they wouldn't have anyone standing on the bus. Hmm. Maybe they need to have a dedicated fleet of buses just for the deluxes, so no one has to stand, either.
Your argument doesn't really make sense.

Granted, I don't get rocked to sleep when I'm staying at the GF, it is still deluxe. Your food and beverage argument makes no sense whatsoever and has nothing to do with anything I said.
__________________
Disney Inn 1988 Polynesian 1989-1993, Club Level 1995-1996, 2000-2001
Grand Floridian Club Level 1994 Pop Century 2008 Dolphin 2011
Wilderness Lodge 2012 and 2013First Disney Cruise in 2014??


WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #168
lillykat
DIS Veteran
 
lillykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Too far from WDW
Posts: 1,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c

This experience is definitely out of the norm. By policy, they do not charge your card until you hit the limit for your resort category. As to whether you have to authorize them to do that or to reset your spending limit, reports vary. I've never had to do that except once when we were trying to do one transaction that was more than our $1500 limit (buying APs). Others report having to speak to the resort all the time. But they definitely don't normally charge anything to your card until you have spent the limit (or very close to it) in the card. It's possible that they advanced charged $1000 to your father's card after speaking with him, giving him a credit balance, but I've never heard of that before except with gift cards applied at check in.
Sorry, if I confused anyone. I meant that once you hit the 1k they automatically charge the card. I didn't mean if you charged $600 they would. Just that once you hit the limit they automatically charge it to your card and you start over. This has always happened to us in the past at the $1500 and this trip at the $1k. No precharges. We checked in together. They told us there was a 1k limit. We said what happens if we are on the parks and charge dinner and are at dinner. Will they decline our card, force us to call the resort, or have to stop at the resort to authorize further charges. They said no. When you put a credit card on file when you reach 1k they simple ding the 1k and you start over. I can tell you my father asked several questions bc he did not want to be bothered charging to the roon if he would be stuck going back to reset constantly since wad paying for all 6 of us to eat.

When we stayed at Akl and poly in the past we did not have to reauthorize or stop by the desk. They just charged our card and we started over.
__________________
May 2014 POR Girls' Birthday and our 10 Anniversary Trip!!!!!!!
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #169
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post

Sorry, if I confused anyone. I meant that once you hit the 1k they automatically charge the card. I didn't mean if you charged $600 they would. Just that once you hit the limit they automatically charge it to your card and you start over. This has always happened to us in the past at the $1500 and this trip at the $1k. No precharges. We checked in together. They told us there was a 1k limit. We said what happens if we are on the parks and charge dinner and are at dinner. Will they decline our card, force us to call the resort, or have to stop at the resort to authorize further charges. They said no. When you put a credit card on file when you reach 1k they simple ding the 1k and you start over. I can tell you my father asked several questions bc he did not want to be bothered charging to the roon if he would be stuck going back to reset constantly since wad paying for all 6 of us to eat.

When we stayed at Akl and poly in the past we did not have to reauthorize or stop by the desk. They just charged our card and we started over.
Well then I agree with you. That's pretty much always been my experience as well. The limit was just reset without my knowledge or involvement, except that one time and that was a unique situation since I was right there at guest relations trying to charge over $2000 to my KTTW card in one transaction (must have had a brain fart that day thinking I could do that)

But I have seen others post that they had to return to the resort to handle it at the desk?
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #170
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran
 
Southern Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 640

Glad to know this about the credit card. Last two times we have been to Disney we have had the free dining. But this time we are going to be charging all our meals everyday for 6 people. I know it can be an inconveniece but its not really a bad thing that Disney is doing with a limit. I would expect that alot of young families are staying at the value resorts, and it helps keep their spending in check. But you would think they would do the same for everyone, because they don't know everyones paycheck. My husband put something like that on his own credit card for our protection if our credit card is stolen. So when alot of money is spent over a few days our credit card stops untill we call to start it again. We call every Christmas. LOL!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #171
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Your argument doesn't really make sense.
Her argument makes perfect sense. If Disney wanted the bus service at the deluxe resorts to be superior to the bus service at the value and moderate resorts, it would be much better than it is! Many posters will agree that the deluxe resorts have some of the worst bus service there is! You tend to share with a few other delxue resorts--which means the buses are packed to the gills, and getting seats is rare indeed. And also means that the rides are long as you drive from resort to resort picking up guests.

If Disney meant for the bus service to be "deluxe" instead of equal, they failed miserably. The bus service is the bus service, and is not upgraded along with your resort. It is a totally separate thing.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #172
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products
 
jrtoastyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 1,128

There's an obvious difference between the resorts that is not even unspoken in some cases. With that said, however, I've never seen a CM do anything but gush about whatever resort was mentioned in response to the "where are you staying?" question.
__________________

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #173
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,850

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Her argument makes perfect sense. If Disney wanted the bus service at the deluxe resorts to be superior to the bus service at the value and moderate resorts, it would be much better than it is! Many posters will agree that the deluxe resorts have some of the worst bus service there is! You tend to share with a few other delxue resorts--which means the buses are packed to the gills, and getting seats is rare indeed. And also means that the rides are long as you drive from resort to resort picking up guests.

If Disney meant for the bus service to be "deluxe" instead of equal, they failed miserably. The bus service is the bus service, and is not upgraded along with your resort. It is a totally separate thing.
SO TRUE! we plan our split stay trips around this fact. the epcot deluxe resorts are notorious for lousy bus service. you can walk or take a boat to epcot or DHS. take a bus from BW to Mk or AK? yikes! this is why we concentrated our DHS, epcot days at the 2nd half of our trip, when we were at BWV. and our AK, MK days at the begining, when we were at AOA.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #174
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery
 
mefordis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a good place.
Posts: 4,842

This thread has me thinking. As far as prestige goes, I would order them in the following order. Sorry if I missed any!

1. GF
2. Poly
3. YC / BC / BWV (tied)
4. BLT
5. CR
6. WL
7. Treehouse Villas
8. SSR
9. OKW
7. POR / POFQ (tied)
8. CSR
9. CBR
10. Art of Animation
11. POP
12.All Stars
__________________



Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR

Last edited by mefordis; 05-30-2013 at 10:54 AM.
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #175
katieam1
DIS Veteran
 
katieam1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Verona NY
Posts: 1,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
This thread has me thinking. As far as prestige goes, I would order them in the following order. Sorry if I missed any!

1. GF
2. Poly
3. YC / BC / BWV (tied)
4. BLT
5. CR
6. WL
7. Treehouse Villas
8. SSR
9. OKW
7. POR / POFQ (tied)
8. CSR
9. CBR
10. Art of Animation
11. POP
12.All Stars
I agree with your list except I might put OKW ahead of SSR because I think more of the DVC members would pick OKW over SSR because the room sizes are a bit larger at OKW. As a member generally when I look SSR is always the last one available except when it comes to the Treehouse Villas which are always booked when I look.
As far as bus service having stayed at all levels I just think is bus service I do not think anyone has better service. I personally do not like riding the buses no matter which resort we are at. The last trip we actually did end up using the buses and we were staying at BLT. It was terrible and halfway through I just told my husband to just get the car ready we would take that. GF, Poly and CR/BLT were all sharing buses a lot of times it was so packed we skipped over the GF after the Poly because there was no more room in it. I have had times at Pop and PORFQ where the buses were always packed and we waited forever and just decided to drive to where we were going. I have also had times when staying at Pop where the buses were coming one after another and we witnessed the deluxe resort lines being backed up so I think the bus service is hard to say one way or anther of resort differences it just depends on the demand and time I think. After reading through the thread I thought back and I guess I have been asked which resort I was at but do not recall being uncomfortable with the response I was given once I told which resort. I just took it as them trying to ask me questions. I also get where are we from a lot too and the only reason that question used to get on my nerves is because when we say New York they think New York City automatically. We then explain no we live in Central New York to which "I never heard of it" always follows. So now I just say Central New York and leave it for them to go from there. My family usually does DXDDP so we hit a lot of restaurants during our trips and have never felt which resort made a difference although I was not thinking about it or watching for it so I will have to pay more attention to the questions I am being asked and how I am responded to this trip coming up. Always interesting hearing other people's comments on this topic or their experience with it.
__________________
My family: DH (Dan 35), Me (Katie 30), dd (Shelby 8), & dd(Madilynne 6) Guinevere (3 months)

katieam1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #176
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
This thread has me thinking. As far as prestige goes, I would order them in the following order. Sorry if I missed any!

1. GF
2. Poly
3. YC / BC / BWV (tied)
4. BLT
5. CR
6. WL
7. Treehouse Villas
8. SSR
9. OKW
7. POR / POFQ (tied)
8. CSR
9. CBR
10. Art of Animation
11. POP
12.All Stars
I would put the Contemporary above the boardwalk area resorts, and put CSR at the top of all of the moderates. And I would probably put CBR after AoA.

However, if I was talking bus service, the deluxe resorts would all be at the bottom. The worst bus service I have had at WDW was while staying at the Beach Club. We had horrible bus service there!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #177
married2mm
DIS Veteran
 
married2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I would put the Contemporary above the boardwalk area resorts, and put CSR at the top of all of the moderates. And I would probably put CBR after AoA.

However, if I was talking bus service, the deluxe resorts would all be at the bottom. The worst bus service I have had at WDW was while staying at the Beach Club. We had horrible bus service there!
Why would you put cbr after aoa?

Interesting comments from all re the buses!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #178
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
Why would you put cbr after aoa?

Interesting comments from all re the buses!
Because CBR has 7 bus stops, and has yet to be refurbed.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #179
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran
 
CuteAndFluffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning
Posts: 591

AKL between CR & WL?
__________________
Wishing upon a star...

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #180
patty57
DIS Veteran
 
patty57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 2,224

Ranking the resorts is really subjective. Personally, I would rather stay at an Epcot resort over anything on the monorail, although the GF is certainly the flagship for the WDW resorts.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.