Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #151
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
DH suggested the same. He figured it was just more Disney data mining.
I agree

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #152
disney777
DIS Veteran

Doesn't the 12.5 or 13% resort fee you pay help subsidize the "free" bus? So the more you pay for your room, the more "tax" you pay?

I enjoy my stays at all levels, Pop and POFQ being my favorite Value and Mod. I like the Deluxes for different reasons. I haven't felt any snobbery during my stays, but sometimes I will get a "Nice!" if I'm transferring from Pop to BC from Bell Services. It's often circumstances that take me to Pop vs Deluxe. If I'm traveling with friends and Pop is what they can afford, then I'm likely to stay there.
I've often been asked where I'm staying when I check in for an ADR. Figured they were doing some survey. Never thought about the "tracking you down in case there is an issue" angle for asking, but thought that's interesting.
My personal policy is to not being paying for a trip beyond a month after it ends (time for resort, restaurants, and shopping to clear my credit cards.) So if I can only stay Value, then so be it. If I can do YC for 2 weeks, then woo hoo for me. Oh, and it would probably kill me to pay rack rate, I need to have some discounts working for me!
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #153
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney777 View Post
Doesn't the 12.5 or 13% resort fee you pay help subsidize the "free" bus? So the more you pay for your room, the more "tax" you pay?
That's not a resort fee, it's a resort tax. Disney doesn't get to keep that money, it goes to Orange County or Osceola County, depending on where your resort is located, and you'll pay it whether you stay onsite or offsite.

Each resort pays its share of the costs of the transportation system, and it's buried in the room rate, like housekeeping, utilities, landscaping, 'free' internet, etc.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #154
disney777
DIS Veteran

oh, ok. I've never stayed offsite (well, it's been a few decades), so thought it might be a Disney thing.
9/1990 offsite, 10/1999 ASMu, 10/2001 ASMo. 9/2003 ASMo, 9/2004 Pop, 1/2005 Pop/AKL, 9/2005 Pop, 1/2006 Pop/ POFQ, 9/2006 POFQ 10/2006 CSR, 1/2007 Pop,9/2007 WL/BWV, 1/2008 POFQ, 8/2008 POP/CR, 1/2009 POFQ, 9/2009 Saratoga Springs, 1/2010 POFQ, 8/2010 POP/BCV, 1/2011 POR/POFQ, 8/2011 POP/BCV, 1/2012 POFQ, 8/2012 AKL/AKL CL, 1/2013 POFQ, 8/2013 YC, 1/2014 POP/POFQ, 8/2014 GF
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #155
wyurm
Mouseketeer

I'm staying a split stay between Poly for 6 nights and AoA for 2. I've had to speak to a CM for both and actually the CM I worked on the AoA reservation with was more energetic and happy than the Poly CM (who was also really nice and happy).

That said, if you are staying value, you are paying approximately 130 a night without a discount. If you are staying at a deluxe, you are paying up to 500 a night an possibly even more. The least you could be paying is 200+ per night. It's kinda like a wedding ring. Wouldn't you expect people to get more excited about a 5,000 dollar ring than the 200 dollar budget ring? It's not to say there's anything wrong with it, but you get what you pay for.

It's not snobbery at all. I think sometimes we get a bit too sensitive about how people react to our decisions and the truth is that what I or anyone else thinks of your reservations does not matter at all. It only matters that you are happy with them.
wyurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #156
WDWgirl413
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Talk about snobbery.

Now many of the snobs are working their butts off to top each other with stories of higher and higher snobishness.

Oh, and a couple weeks ago I walked into the Rolls Royce dealership wearing last seasons Manolo Blanhik's. I could see the sales people rolling their eyes, so I went to the RR dealership down the street.
OMG! LOLOL. I haven't busted out laughing like this in a long time. Awesome.
WDWgirl413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #157
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

I disagree with those of you who say the bus stops are not decided by hotel price. Lets be realistic here. Disney World is a business. It's not about treating everyone equally, it's about how they can upsell you to the next level. There's no shame in that.

If you don't think transportation is an issue, take a closer look at the pricing of the hotels on the monorail line.

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #158
susy
3000+ post veteran!

LOL!!!!! The best one is the CM's calling the AS "the projects"...if I can't afford to go on my teacher's salary, I highly doubt they can either, even with their discount. They don't OWN the place!
11/05-BWI CL, 9/06-YC CL, 11/06-WL,1/07-AKL CL,
3/07-CSR, 9/07-BC CL, 11/07-WL CL, 5/08-YC CL, 4/09-BWV, 3/10-AKL

First trip to US/IOA-
9/08- Royal Pacific CL
5/09-Portofino CL
9/09- Hardrock CL
9/10-Hardrock CL
susy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #159
bethan92
Earning My Ears

As an ex-cast member, I never thought there was any kind of snobbery about the resorts. I certainly never heard the values called 'the projects'.

I used to ask guests about their resort purely as a conversation starter at the register. I really enjoyed hearing guests stories about their stay and I learnt about the resorts I never got a chance to see! The only time I HAD to ask which resort a guest was staying was when someone asked for resort delivery. We're just trying to get nice in most situations!

Like many of you have said, I think it depends more on personal preference rather than money in most situations!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #160
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

When at Disney and we have been asked "Where are you staying?" I have experienced an over keel of excitement to a disappointing really thats nice! LOL! We have stayed at All Star Sports, Pop or camped. So you tend to think its snobbery or your answer disappointed them because you are not at the Grand Floridian LOL! I don't really think it is snobbery, but just harder for some to react in excitement to our value or camping! LOL! But even in a value resort or camping, after you buy the tickets, pay for food etc., it is an expensive vacation! If it is snobbery so be it! LOL!

I don't look at anyone who can afford Disney at any resort as truely poor! LOL! But... If they think I am I would appreciate free dining when I come! LOL!

When I was a child a lady (our neighbor actually)who was a little la te da, snobbed our family when my Dad politely acknowledged her and spoke to her out in town. I don't know if it was because we weren't all dressed up or what but I asked my Dad when we got home didn't that make him mad?" My Dad replied "No, I just look at people like that like they don't have any since." LOL! I just never forgot his answer and chuckle at it even today! LOL!

So... Have magical day!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #161
kakiegirl
DIS Veteran

We go to Disney alot and have stayed at several different resorts but never a deluxe yet. We usually stay in All Star Movies mainly by choice even if we could afford deluxe for a whole week we would still choose All Star Movies for our week long vacation. We love the Disney theming and maybe because it is the first resort we stayed in when my dd was 3 it just feels like our home away from home. We have even told the DVC representatives at the parks that we would by into DVC in a hearbeat if they had a Disney themed resort. So you can't always judge why a person stays at a certain resort by how much money they have. I have never felt like a Cast Member looked down on us for where we are staying. They have asked before but just making polite conversation. The only time I felt looked down upon was with a reservations operator. I called in one time when discounts were released. We were not planning a trip at that time but I was just curious if it was a big enough savings I though we might decide to make a long weekend trip. I got a quote on the All Stars and it was not much of a savings at all so I thanked him and said I didn't want to make a reservation a this time.. We have always wanted to try out the Poly so I decided to get a quote for it. I was shocked when he informed me that if I couldn't afford the value resorts I didn't need to waste my time getting quote for Poly. I was shocked. I told DH later if I had it to do over I would have reserved a room at the Poly just to spite him even if I called back later and canceled it.
kakiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #162
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakiegirl View Post
We go to Disney alot and have stayed at several different resorts but never a deluxe yet. We usually stay in All Star Movies mainly by choice even if we could afford deluxe for a whole week we would still choose All Star Movies for our week long vacation. We love the Disney theming and maybe because it is the first resort we stayed in when my dd was 3 it just feels like our home away from home. We have even told the DVC representatives at the parks that we would by into DVC in a hearbeat if they had a Disney themed resort. So you can't always judge why a person stays at a certain resort by how much money they have. I have never felt like a Cast Member looked down on us for where we are staying. They have asked before but just making polite conversation. The only time I felt looked down upon was with a reservations operator. I called in one time when discounts were released. We were not planning a trip at that time but I was just curious if it was a big enough savings I though we might decide to make a long weekend trip. I got a quote on the All Stars and it was not much of a savings at all so I thanked him and said I didn't want to make a reservation a this time.. We have always wanted to try out the Poly so I decided to get a quote for it. I was shocked when he informed me that if I couldn't afford the value resorts I didn't need to waste my time getting quote for Poly. I was shocked. I told DH later if I had it to do over I would have reserved a room at the Poly just to spite him even if I called back later and canceled it.
That's just plain rude.

It's good though,on vacation,all has been well.
As you say,it's so often personal choice,and that's it.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #163
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
I disagree with those of you who say the bus stops are not decided by hotel price. Lets be realistic here. Disney World is a business. It's not about treating everyone equally, it's about how they can upsell you to the next level. There's no shame in that.

If you don't think transportation is an issue, take a closer look at the pricing of the hotels on the monorail line.
Bus stops, and bus service is not dependant on the level of the resort. If it was, every deluxe resort would have its own bus to those parks not serviced by the monorail (or friendship boats at the Epcot area resorts). And yet these resorts have to share buses to other areas. The moderates do not, as a rule. Nor do the values (AS resorts excepted).

If Disney considered bus transportation a perk for deluxe resort guests, they'd have dedicated buses for each resort (AKL is the only deluxe that has this- out of geographic necessity). And probably beverage and food snacks being wheeled up and down the aisle. Oh wait, if they did that then they wouldn't have anyone standing on the bus. Hmm. Maybe they need to have a dedicated fleet of buses just for the deluxes, so no one has to stand, either.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #164
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Talk about snobbery.

Now many of the snobs are working their butts off to top each other with stories of higher and higher snobishness.

Oh, and a couple weeks ago I walked into the Rolls Royce dealership wearing last seasons Manolo Blanhik's. I could see the sales people rolling their eyes, so I went to the RR dealership down the street.

It seems a lot of posters are just telling stories how you shouldn't be snobby because the person you are judging could actually be rich or a customer paying a lot of money.

What if the person you are judging really can only afford to stay at All Star, or heaven forbid, off property? Then is it okay to judge them?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #165
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post

It seems a lot of posters are just telling stories how you shouldn't be snobby because the person you are judging could actually be rich or a customer paying a lot of money.

What if the person you are judging really can only afford to stay at All Star, or heaven forbid, off property? Then is it okay to judge them?
I personally think HECK NO! Back in '96 and '97 when my family and I visited WDW, my parents could only afford AS Sports, and while we finally got to some fancier resorts in '09 and '10 (POFQ and SSR respectively), we would never judge, because we were once in that boat. Plus, we just naturally aren't like that. Even if someone is staying CL in CR with bucket loads of moolah to spare, they shouldn't judge someone who honestly can only afford something along the lines of the AS resorts or even offsite.

I've said it before, but really what's important in that situation is the fact that EVERY ONE of us decided to go to WDW. All the resorts are a part of the whole "World", where the main focus is the parks and experiences themselves. We all have a shared interest (at least we all should, I know there are a select few that are different like that ) We may be staying at different places, but in the end we all wanna see the castle, see the 'big golf ball' , ride all the awesome rides at HS and/or experience the nature of animals in AK. Oh, and BB/TL/DTD/etc.

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: