Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #136
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post

Yup us too. We are almost always asked when we check in at the podium if we are staying on property, and which resort.
Perhaps this is simply a DDP related question? We never purchase DDP and no one has ever asked where we are staying when we check in at a restaurant.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #137
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post

Yup us too. We are almost always asked when we check in at the podium if we are staying on property, and which resort.
Does anyone know why they do this? I highly doubt it's some kind of classism. I've been asked at every single restaurant I go to when I check in. Is this a way to confirm that you are who you say you are or something?

When I checked in at Narcoosees and they asked, I told them I was staying at WL, which as you all know is significantly less expensive than GF. I felt no sense of snobbery at all, in fact, the two CMs at the podium asked how we liked it and gushed over how beautiful the lobby was and how they'd like to stay there sometime.

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #138
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Does anyone know why they do this? I highly doubt it's some kind of classism. I've been asked at every single restaurant I go to when I check in. Is this a way to confirm that you are who you say you are or something?

When I checked in at Narcoosees and they asked, I told them I was staying at WL, which as you all know is significantly less expensive than GF. I felt no sense of snobbery at all, in fact, the two CMs at the podium asked how we liked it and gushed over how beautiful the lobby was and how they'd like to stay there sometime.
I didn't think it was snobbery either but 1900 Park Fare was the only place we were asked. We were not asked at the check in podium if we were on the dining plan, only our name, number in our party and what resort we were staying at. Our server asked though as soon as we sat down and that is what we experienced everywhere (the server asking if we were on the DDP).

For the record, we have never stayed deluxe because we are a bit too frugal to cough up the money to stay at one but we have stayed value and moderate and our upcoming stay is moderate. We have never perceived any snobbery from CM's but we did have friends question our choice to stay at a value on our 2011 trip. Our oldest daughter was a senior in high school then and headed to college the next year so we felt a value stay best fit our vacation budget that year. Our stay at Pop Century was fine (liked it, didn't love it) and I would stay there again if that was worked best for our finances. I originally wanted to stay at Art of Animation this year for the theming (we have a 6 year old daughter also) but it was less expensive for us to stay at POR in a royal room with free dining than it was to stay at AoA in a Little Mermaid room and pay for the dining plan.

Last edited by Patience; 05-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #139
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Interesting. The only snobbery I have seen is from guests. Sometimes the ones who save for years to stay at a place like GF. Most people I know will take more than one trip a year and base where they stay on a good deal or the place the kids like best from pictures. They stay GF one trip, por another when they plan to work more resort time, and a value for quick trips they plan to be in the parks a lot. They have enjoyed all their trips.

We have stayed at more recently at AKL (cl and reg savanna), Poly, and POR. I have been asked if I am on the dining plan but not asked which hotel. We have never gotten a bad table. We have always gotten any requests if we were willing to wait an extra 5 or 10 mins.

When we checked into POR this time we were told about the 1000 limit but were told since we put the rooms on a credit card they automatically charge the $1000 to your card. There would not decline any purchases nor make you call or stop by the desk. My father asked detailed questions bc we were two rooms but eating as 6 people and they were treating. We went over the limit but were just charged to the card, no calls, no declines, no stopping at the desk. Could it be because some use a debit card or pay with gift cards, cash, etc that causes their card to be declined? Same thing happened on prior trips.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #140
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post

When we checked into POR this time we were told about the 1000 limit but were told since we put the rooms on a credit card they automatically charge the $1000 to your card. There would not decline any purchases nor make you call or stop by the desk. My father asked detailed questions bc we were two rooms but eating as 6 people and they were treating. We went over the limit but were just charged to the card, no calls, no declines, no stopping at the desk. Could it be because some use a debit card or pay with gift cards, cash, etc that causes their card to be declined? Same thing happened on prior trips.
This experience is definitely out of the norm. By policy, they do not charge your card until you hit the limit for your resort category. As to whether you have to authorize them to do that or to reset your spending limit, reports vary. I've never had to do that except once when we were trying to do one transaction that was more than our $1500 limit (buying APs). Others report having to speak to the resort all the time. But they definitely don't normally charge anything to your card until you have spent the limit (or very close to it) in the card. It's possible that they advanced charged $1000 to your father's card after speaking with him, giving him a credit balance, but I've never heard of that before except with gift cards applied at check in.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #141
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
Interesting. The only snobbery I have seen is from guests. Sometimes the ones who save for years to stay at a place like GF. Most people I know will take more than one trip a year and base where they stay on a good deal or the place the kids like best from pictures. They stay GF one trip, por another when they plan to work more resort time, and a value for quick trips they plan to be in the parks a lot. They have enjoyed all their trips.

We have stayed at more recently at AKL (cl and reg savanna), Poly, and POR. I have been asked if I am on the dining plan but not asked which hotel. We have never gotten a bad table. We have always gotten any requests if we were willing to wait an extra 5 or 10 mins.

In my case when my KTTK card was declined I had our AMEX charge card on file. It was a glitch that it wasn't automatically renewed.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #142
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

Never had an issue by CM's or guests....
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #143
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post
Perhaps this is simply a DDP related question? We never purchase DDP and no one has ever asked where we are staying when we check in at a restaurant.
Not sure. Last week we were asked if we had DDP. We didn't but we had TIW. Sometimes they asked what resort we were staying at, other times not. I am wondering if it some kind of monitoring system? Like their own type of survey to see what types of restaurants people are eating at and where they are staying. Pretty harmless, not because they really care so much.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #144
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
Not sure. Last week we were asked if we had DDP. We didn't but we had TIW. Sometimes they asked what resort we were staying at, other times not. I am wondering if it some kind of monitoring system? Like their own type of survey to see what types of restaurants people are eating at and where they are staying. Pretty harmless, not because they really care so much.
DH suggested the same. He figured it was just more Disney data mining.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #145
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodycat View Post

DH suggested the same. He figured it was just more Disney data mining.
Data mining is a good guess.

I always figured it subtle pressure to make you want to be part of the "club" next time if you were staying offsite this time.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #146
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
I dont think this would ne unfair. In fact a great idea for the deluxes. If I fly first class I expect a free drink. I am paying for it. It's called product differentiation. We have only stayed in mods, but I would be pssed if i am paying 400 a night at a deluxe and someone at a value has a shorter walk to buses. What am I then paying for?? IMO this is why I feel the deluxes are overpriced, for those prices I would expect more little extra things. You are paying for it.
You're not paying for the transportation from park to park, buses are free for all guests and services provided for POP should be the same provided for Grand Floridian. When you fly first class you are paying for your seat in a different section of the plane with better service which would compare to you paying for your room at a deluxe resort, where you'll get better service than on a value resorts.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #147
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

I've stayed at the Poly. I've stayed at an All Star. They were both fun, Disney experiences. DH didn't go on the All Star trip, so when I got home, I was ecstatic to tell him how inexpensive it was to stay there and how nice the resort was.

So I guess I don't "get" the people who had to talk themselves down to a value. They're perfectly nice.

And if you miss the Deluxes, just hop the Monorail back over to one, walk the grounds, have a meal and go on your merry way. You just enjoyed the deluxe for free. Woohoo! Go you!

Whenever CMs have asked our resort, we've just taken it as a point of conversation.

Most recently, in Disneyland, a CM in New Orleans Square was asking our nieces where they were staying, but they didn't remember the name, so I told him it was the Carousel Inn, right across the street. He didn't seem familiar because it wasn't a Disney hotel. So he didn't have anything else to say. I didn't take it as snobbery. I took it as he lived locally and had no personal information on the hotels across Harbor Blvd.

There are a lot of hotels at WDW, it seems completely likely that CMs don't have personal knowledge of every single property out there. They're probably looking for a point of conversation, but just don't have knowledge of every property, so the conversation ends.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #148
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post

When we check in they ask us if we are on the dining plan and if we are staying on property. We always stay on property so we say yes, and they ask which resort and type something into their system. I assume it has to do with room charging? Idk. We don't always do the dining plan, in fact it's rare these days.

Eta: We never thought it was weird or anything. Just figured it was protocol.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #149
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
I'm quite sure it is this. On a related note, I swear I get stopped every. single. time. we enter a park to tell them my zip code. I told my husband I must be skewing their data.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #150
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL

Last edited by Cappy81; 05-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: