Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I would pick BC hands down. Of course the Poly doesn't appeal to me all that much, but with the Boardwalk and Epcot right there at the BC we would have so much more to do for us. We just stayed there with the kids and more than once did I wish we could take advantage of some time there alone, just the two of us. If I wanted to spend that extra 800 bucks I'd spend it on things we could do together not just our resort.
I agree!! We have stayed at the BC many times and have never had any desire to stay at the Polynesian (don't really care for its appearance). I would choose the GF over it. Isn't the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot during your stay? BC would be perfect location. Just my opinion!
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #47
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

Glad you picked the Poly.....that's really where you want to be....

The kids will love the Bc/YC as its more family themed.....it's so worth deluxe....to be within walking distance to 2 parks is priceless...plus the whole resort is awesome!

Have a great anniversary!

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73

Last edited by Tink-n-Belle; 06-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #48
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

What resorts would you pick and why?

Well, my wheels won't stop turning!?

I have a few options, and would love some insight from you wonderful people

I thought I had my trip all set, but now I'm not too sure? A few things have been thrown at me, and now I have another decision to make.

Going in Oct with DH, DS6 & DS3. So, here is my question..

What resorts in this order would you stay at?

1- AKL 5 nights, Beach Club 5 nights & Poly 5 nights

OR

2-AKL 6 nights, Poly 5 nights, and the Grand Floridian Villas for 4 nights?

My kids LOVE to swim, they are fish, so I'm really torn!?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by flinkerfrosch; 06-08-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I didn't mean to post this here, sorry..going to start my own thread.
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #49
Brrrendon
Earning My Ears

I think the atmosphere at Poly is breathtaking, however it is clearly in need of major restoration. I do not think it is worth the price now. It absolutely was worth the price many years ago, but now it is obviously weathered. I was just there last week (only for dining) and I thought to myself "I cannot believe they still charge $400+/night for this resort." If you want an MK resort on the monorail try GF. If you plan to spend more time in Epcot, you cannot go wrong with any of the Epcot resorts i.e. BWI, BC, YC. The walk to Epcot is short and convenient! I just spent over a week at BWI and it was fantastic!
Brrrendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #50
buckeyejennifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrendon View Post
I think the atmosphere at Poly is breathtaking, however it is clearly in need of major restoration. I do not think it is worth the price now. It absolutely was worth the price many years ago, but now it is obviously weathered. I was just there last week (only for dining) and I thought to myself "I cannot believe they still charge $400+/night for this resort." If you want an MK resort on the monorail try GF. If you plan to spend more time in Epcot, you cannot go wrong with any of the Epcot resorts i.e. BWI, BC, YC. The walk to Epcot is short and convenient! I just spent over a week at BWI and it was fantastic!
Actually, the Poly is in the midst of a makeover! All the rooms are being redone and from the pictures I've seen they're lovely. I've heard that all the rooms will be complete by fall.

1975 (off site)*1980 (Buena Vista Palace)*1988 (Treehouse Villas)*1993 (Treehouse Villas)*1994 (Port Orleans)*1995 (Treehouse Villas)*2008 (Old Key West)*2009 (Poly/Disney Wonder)*2010 (BWV/Disney Wonder)*2011 (BLT/Disney Dream)*2011 (Poly)*2012 (Yacht Club)*2014 (BCV)
buckeyejennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
clapton
Mouseketeer

Totally agree with the previous poster, the Poly is not worth the price. I would choose GF, WL or CR over the Poly any day!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #52
Brrrendon
Earning My Ears

The Poly renovation pics do look very nice. I think the brighter colors will definitely help create a "fresher" feeling throughout the resort. I know staying at an MK resort, on the monorail, in one of the original Disney resorts is a true Disney fanatic's vacation.
Brrrendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #53
starousse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapton View Post
Totally agree with the previous poster, the Poly is not worth the price. I would choose GF, WL or CR over the Poly any day!
I see a few people mentioning GF, isn't the GF outdated and in need of renovation too? or have they renovated already? From the pictures, the rooms with the floral wallpaper and bedspreads look like they're from the 80s.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I would do a split stay
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #55
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I would do a split stay
Finally I am kind of doing a split stay. We are doing Poly for the first 6 days, then going to US for the last two. We have never seen US so decided to give it a try. Harry Potter world here we come
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #56
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapton View Post
IMO the Poly is not worth the extra $800. There are so many more things to do at BC , there are tons of restaurants between BC, YC, & Swan & Dolphin. A 5 min walk to Epcot and a great pool!
Opposite! The romance of the Polynesian for an adult couple trumps the extra cost. Might be more to do at BC but not more romantic things e.g. Stroll along the beach with a view of the castle with a peek around the wedding chapel and easy access to the other monorail resorts. Romantic memories are priceless. A wish is a dream your heart makes and Polynesian is a dreamy place.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #57
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Do both. Start at BC and do Epcot, DHS, boardwalk area, Jellyrolls etc...

Switch to Poly (got to AK on your switch day) and then enjoy MK and the whole area.

They move your luggage so a switch without kids is easy peasy!
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #58
flamark
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
My husband and I finally decided to go with the Polynesian after looking at tons of pictures of both resorts. We also checked prices and, in the end, it was not that much more for Poly rooms since the 30% discount is not available on garden view rooms at BC anymore. However, we are going to try to stay at BC next trip with the kids. It seems more family oriented resort with the sand bottom pool and Beaches and Cream. Polynesian just has that tropical romantic feeling that we are looking for. Thanks for every ones help.

Now that I have chose can anyone suggest the best longhouse to stay in when booked in a standard view room.
My recommendation as to which longhouse would be different depending on what you want. We are not fans of the western"half" of the resort. If you want to be close to the GCH and pool I would say Samoa or Nuie would be the way to go. If you want really really quiet and a short walk to the TTC than go for Tahiti or Rapa Nui. Our preference is Samoa.Others may be different in their opinions.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #59
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post

My recommendation as to which longhouse would be different depending on what you want. We are not fans of the western"half" of the resort. If you want to be close to the GCH and pool I would say Samoa or Nuie would be the way to go. If you want really really quiet and a short walk to the TTC than go for Tahiti or Rapa Nui. Our preference is Samoa.Others may be different in their opinions.
Which side of Samoa? I was just concerned about all the foot traffic in front of the volcano pool but it seems convenient. How are the views on the quiet pool side?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #60
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post

Most true! Our 2 stays were requested for a monorail view upper floor of AOTEAROA. Plush green gardens below balcony, never saw an an automobile or bus moving or parked. Trees provide sun shade. Elevator lets out on the South end so you are right at the corner of the marina. Convenient! Would ask for same any time we decide on the resort but there are so many others to try next like a monorail view upper floor room on the West side of whatchamacallit Cay at GF. AL-LOOOOOOOOO-ha!

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: