Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
I thought it was closed for renovations??
The Spa was closed for awhile for renovations but the fitness center stayed open and I am pretty sure that the Spa has reopened.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Since the Poly is where you have always wanted to stay and it's just you and your DH for your 10th year anniversary, I would go with the Poly. Also, keep in mind, almost all the longhouses will have been refurbished at that point. We have stayed at the Poly the past 3 yrs and the pool has not been crowded, we stay the 1st week in Sept.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
ixmnrs
Mouseketeer

Both Resorts are nice, Poly has a slightly more romantic feel, but YC/BC is close to Epcot and HS and Boardwalk which is nice for early evenings. There are going to be big changes happening around Poly over the next few years so that might influence your decision. For info on those changes, check out tikimanpages. Which parks will you be going to more? What about a Disney Cruise?
August 2007: DCL Land (POLY)/Sea(DWonder)
August 2008: Off Site Nickelodeon Hotel
March Break 2009: Contemporary Tower
March Break 2010: YC CL
August 2013 : Polynesian CL
Aug 2014: Finally decided on CR AC TPV

ME(Still Young at Heart) DW (Likewise); DS(16); DD(13); DHavanese: (1)
ixmnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

The Poly is amazingly romantic.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Which longhouse to choose?

My husband and I finally decided to go with the Polynesian after looking at tons of pictures of both resorts. We also checked prices and, in the end, it was not that much more for Poly rooms since the 30% discount is not available on garden view rooms at BC anymore. However, we are going to try to stay at BC next trip with the kids. It seems more family oriented resort with the sand bottom pool and Beaches and Cream. Polynesian just has that tropical romantic feeling that we are looking for. Thanks for every ones help.

Now that I have chose can anyone suggest the best longhouse to stay in when booked in a standard view room.
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
My husband and I finally decided to go with the Polynesian after looking at tons of pictures of both resorts. We also checked prices and, in the end, it was not that much more for Poly rooms since the 30% discount is not available on garden view rooms at BC anymore. However, we are going to try to stay at BC next trip with the kids. It seems more family oriented resort with the sand bottom pool and Beaches and Cream. Polynesian just has that tropical romantic feeling that we are looking for. Thanks for every ones help.

Now that I have chose can anyone suggest the best longhouse to stay in when booked in a standard view room.
I'm glad you went with the Poly! I would suggest you pick the Tokelau longhouse. We had a standard view, which ended up having a view of the quiet pool. It was nice and close to the food court and not that long of a walk away from the main pool.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
JVP1
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We have stayed at the Poly many times. Our last visitwe felt with hit the jackpot with the view - we were also booked in a standard room. We requested Fiji and had a beautiful view overlooking the grounds in front of Luah Cove and the lake. Another great plus was the 1 minute walk to the Grand Ceremonial House. You made a great choice. I am always torn to try another resort and in the past when we did, my heart would always ache to be at the Polynesian
JVP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You won't regret choosing the Poly.....it's an awesome resort .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

I've stayed a Polynesian Concierge and Yacht Club Concierge. I found the Yacht Club to be "too stiff" for me. I enjoyed the Polynesian themeing a whole lot more.

That said, I know the rates have really gone up. Honestly, the rooms at the Polynesian are just ok. Nothing all that special. It's the rest of the resort that you are paying for. (in my opinion) The rooms (comfort of beds) at Swan are much better in my opinion - but the magical feel is missing.

If I was going to choose, I might try the Beach Club - especially if the price was better. Walking around the boardwalk and Epcot is very romantic. Don't put too much weight on the fact that the Beach Club has a better fitness center (As my now ex husband said, "I've spent all day walking in a theme park..I don't feel like exercising". Good point.)

But, if in your heart you want the Polynesian (and it won't put you in debt) ...go for it because it may be a once in a lifetime trip? If it means being in debt $800 and that is a hardship, choose the Beach Club because you will have a spectacular time there too.
Puffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra

Great choice!!!! I recommend the Fiji longhouse marina view. You have a view of the GCH, back of the volcano pool, and the marina. It's a very short walk to the GCH and also a short walk to the boat that will take you to MK. This past year we had a room on the 3rd floor and we loved relaxing on the balcony with the great view and the resort music playing in the background!
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

I think the Poly is crazy expensive. There are a lot of great meals you could get for the amount you're spending there. I LOVE the Beach Club and being able to walk to 2 parks is wonderful. You can be inside the gates of Epcot in about 5 minutes. I would probably stay at the BCR over the Poly even if they were the same rate.

ToyStory3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I would split and stay at both (but we like split-stays). I have stayed at the Poly, the BC and the YC. YC is more "adult" in a way, but I agree with you that the Poly (with it's gardens, the beach, the hammocks, the fireworks at night...) is a more romantic resort.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #43
EvilQueenT
DIS Veteran

for standard rooms i've stayed in tokelau, tahiti, and rapa nui. i like tokelau when we're spending time in the lobby areas (like doing regular breakfasts, using the pool a lot etc...) but still want easy access to the transportation ticket center and bus area. But I really love tahiti and rapa nui when we're there in the cooler months or aren't with a pool going group, have someone with us who has stroller aged children, or are there for things like food and wine in which we'll be doing all our eating inside the park. tahiti and rapa nui are not just quiet but they're close to parking and crazy close to walk to the transportation ticket center. it makes it fantastic for hitting the monorail for either wdw on the express train or directly to epcot without having to change trains. it's also a short walk to the bus station.
EvilQueenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I would pick BC hands down. Of course the Poly doesn't appeal to me all that much, but with the Boardwalk and Epcot right there at the BC we would have so much more to do for us. We just stayed there with the kids and more than once did I wish we could take advantage of some time there alone, just the two of us. If I wanted to spend that extra 800 bucks I'd spend it on things we could do together not just our resort.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I would pick BC hands down. Of course the Poly doesn't appeal to me all that much, but with the Boardwalk and Epcot right there at the BC we would have so much more to do for us. We just stayed there with the kids and more than once did I wish we could take advantage of some time there alone, just the two of us. If I wanted to spend that extra 800 bucks I'd spend it on things we could do together not just our resort.
Just playing devil's advocate, but the OP could stay at the Dolphin and save half of that $800. Some times it is the intangibles that make us pick the resort we pick.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: