Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Reactions when you say "I Shoot Disney"?!?!?

When talking to someone about your main shooting focus. What kind of initial reaction do you get when you say "Disney"????

I remember mentioning to a coworker how I like to go to Disney a lot to do my picture taking. And I could see them holding back a laugh. They might've even mentioned characters or something. But it wasn't until a short time later, where a couple of my Disney photos won 1st and 2nd at a work photo contest that they actually "got it".

And today, I mentioned to someone else about how Disney is my main subject. I'm not sure what they thought though, because there was no real response. But their follow up question made it seem like they were thinking characters and parades (and maybe rides?); because it was about motion blur. But I also know that's something that person has been experiment with. So maybe it was just on their mind.

But what have your experiences been???
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Usually reactions when someone hasn't seen any of my photos is similar - there's an assumption among those who are not real Disney fans or those who have only visited the parks in entertain-the-kids-run-around-until-your-feet-fall-off-never-see-the-surroundings mode that Disney is nothing more than rides and characters. They've never looked at Disney with an eye for details, scenery, architecture, landscape, color, shape, theme, skyline, etc. In other words, as a photographer.

But usually those who start by seeing my photos from Disney have a very different reaction - often one of surprise - they see photos that they just didn't realize one could take at Disney parks, and sometimes for the first time they are seeing the details, the theming, the architecture, and how shot the right way Disney parks can be some of the most photographically rich places in the world.

I've often posted shots I took at Disney in other general topic threads, or challenges, or the like, and had no-one out of hundreds even know the shot was taken at Disney - they ask what part of the world, or they see details that make them assume a country, or place. Details are so ornate or thematic that they often think I'm shooting some historic site or building...landscaping is so elaborate that flowers and trees shot there can be mistaken for exotic gardens anyplace in the world...even shots at the various Disney World resorts can easily pass for the real place where they are intended to invoke.

I usually tell other photographers to think of Disney as an amazing photographic place - as often they just don't realize it. I encourage them, if they are going to have any time on their own, or have a family tolerant of their love for photography, to consider bringing all their best lenses and I explain that virtually any type of photographer can take any type of photograph they can imagine on Disney property: portraits, landscapes, architecture, scenics, motion, night, action, sports, wildlife, birding, wide, tele, travel...just about anything you can imagine is possible somewhere on the grounds.
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
C&B Young
www.canadisney.com

I find that reaction to my Disney photos are mixed depending on the audience. Photos that get a lot of positive feedback from Disney fans get almost no reaction when I enter them into photo contests.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

"Damn, you're a gangsta!" ~Everyone

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

Even though I don't get to the World enough for it to be my main focus, it was our first trip with our then 4 year old son that got me back into photography. It was specifically because Disney parks are so detail and design oriented that you can get really creative in your shooting. When I tell people this I sometimes get a blank stare, until they see some of the images and can start to see how immersive Disney can be when you slow down to notice the details.

I agree with Justin's comments, but I wanted to add that I think it goes beyond just Disney. I have found that the more I shoot, the more attention I pay to detail and light, even when I am not shooting. I have shots taken at a couple of locations at our local park that have tonnes of visitors on a regular basis. When people see the shots they ask me if that shot is from England? Did you take that in Mexico? When I tell them its from the local park, they are always shocked, because for years they have walked past that spot and never noticed the detail.

While some may find most of their shooting at Disney, whether due to proximity or inspiration, I don't know that you need to define yourself as a Disney shooter. I think we all offer our own vision in our photos, regardless of where they are shot.

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
"Damn, you're a gangsta!" ~Everyone

Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
I agree with Justin's comments, but I wanted to add that I think it goes beyond just Disney. I have found that the more I shoot, the more attention I pay to detail and light, even when I am not shooting.
Quite true - that's really when you know you're a photography enthusiast. I argued many years ago against an article an English pro photographer posted in an article endorsing a 'no camera' day, because of how much photographers are missing by always looking through a viewfinder...my stance was exactly the opposite - that photographers tend to see much more beauty in the world, even in the most mundane things, because we look at the light, the shadow, the color, the juxtaposition, the message - we observe the world around us much more inclusively and exhaustively than the average person, and appreciate the tiniest details far more.

Quote:
While some may find most of their shooting at Disney, whether due to proximity or inspiration, I don't know that you need to define yourself as a Disney shooter. I think we all offer our own vision in our photos, regardless of where they are shot.
Indeed. Honestly, the majority of my shooting is actually birds and wildlife. I am also an avid travel photographer. I do shoot a lot at Disney, because I do live in Florida and it's a place I go often...but I shoot many of the same types of subjects (night, architecture, wildlife, landscape, macro) outside of Disney. I think the spirit of the question isn't meant only for those who primarily shoot Disney, but all of us for which Disney is a favorite place to shoot - be it once every 2 years or every weekend!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
"Damn, you're a gangsta!"
If I were you, I wouldn't rest until I secured agreement from Cory and Ryan that you will henceforth be introduced as "Shoe Kitty Gangsta" on the podcast.

Scott

Last edited by Experiment_626; 05-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Experiment_626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I think people expect that you are taking photos of characters and a castle. I know my co-workers were talking about photos and when I mentioned that I take a few thousand shots every trip the immediate reaction was "Of what?" in such a way that it was very clear that they couldn't imagine that there is enough variety to allow for a full memory card (or 3) of images.

I had one better last week from a total stranger. I had ordered a canvas print of a shot I took of Main Street USA lit up at night after park closing, looking down toward the station (so the castle was behind me and didn't feature in the shot). I had ordered a few photo products for DD's room around the same time and couldn't remember what image I had used for her canvas and emailed them to ask.

I got a reply: "We apologize that we are unable to display the image(s) you use for our products post ordering but can confirm that the image on the 16x20" canvas is a scene of a gorgeous little town, all lit up at night." That really tickled me.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

While I post more Disney pics vs. and other I wouldn't say that Disney is my main focus although its quite a bit. Everyone I know understands my obsession with Disney. I love the parks and while a big kid at heart its just something I'm drawn to. As far as people snickering or giggling well they must hide it pretty well. They all seem pretty cool with it all. It's usually all under the appearance of a family vacation anyways.

No Photo Gangsta here. (Is that Sarah that calls you that, Tom?)
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: