Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #61
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure we saw Sparta last year and this year. Amy has a weakness for the Krewe of Barkus so we've been to two Mardi Gras to see it. Eventually I want to be at the full blown Mardi Gras weekend.

So, not having done the Europe cruises, what do they replace Pirates in the Caribbean with? I assume there will be a formal and semi-formal night? I have kilts and am not afraid to use them :D Last cruise (8-day Bahamas) I did the whole one in kilts, including the 5K -

The photographers went crazy at times :D One of them kicked Amy out of the pic to do some solos of me. If they been some of Amy's favorites she might have been a bit ticked.

What unique things should we expect?

Jim
Kilted Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #62
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Reporting aboard!

We will be celebrating DS's college graduation.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #63
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Candyman View Post
I assume there will be a formal and semi-formal night? I have kilts and am not afraid to use them :D Last cruise (8-day Bahamas) I did the whole one in kilts, including the 5K -
Jim
We gotta quit trying to meet this way! Guess I'll have to bring my kilt as well.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #64
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!

Been looking at reports and pictures and so far I think we're not going to do anything major in Villefranche. I know how my husband is and if I plan this whole trip of GO GO GO ...he will be Cranky Cranky Cranky by the 2nd day. Villefranche looks like a cute little town that we can spend some time in and have a nice day.

At first I was looking at this like my first Disney trip where we packed in EVERYTHING and were tired and cranky by the end. I just want to enjoy myself and have a nice time without planning everything from sun up to sun down. Now Rome is another story...I do want a good plan that day, but I figure if I don't stress him out on the days leading up to Rome he can make it through Rome without getting too cranky.
We have just been on the 12 night Venice Cruise and we booked all our excursions through DCL. The one thing we said was that we didn't want to do 10-12 hour excursions so we stuck with the 5 hours ones and it worked out very well, in others words we had the 'best of both worlds'
A morning sightseeing and an afternoon by the pool
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #65
chefgirl96
Earning My Ears

First Timer for everything

Hi all! I am reporting for roll call.

It will be myself & DH on this cruise for our 15th anniversary Once in a Lifetime vacation. It is our first cruise (although I did sail on The Big Red Boat as a youngster but I barely remember that) and our first time to Europe and our first time leaving our children for so long.

Our FIRST everything!

I am a little overwhelmed at all the planning required but I *do* love planning & enjoyed compulsively planning our all girls trip to WDW in 2010 - which I gathered much of my wisdom from the Disboards for that trip!

I have read 69 pages worth of the Med planning thread, but still have questions.
Okay to ask those here? Or maybe there is a Disney cruise mentor available?

Or should I start a pre-trip report with all my plans/questions/crazy ideas?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #66
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefgirl96 View Post
Hi all! I am reporting for roll call.

It will be myself & DH on this cruise for our 15th anniversary Once in a Lifetime vacation. It is our first cruise (although I did sail on The Big Red Boat as a youngster but I barely remember that) and our first time to Europe and our first time leaving our children for so long.

Our FIRST everything!

I am a little overwhelmed at all the planning required but I *do* love planning & enjoyed compulsively planning our all girls trip to WDW in 2010 - which I gathered much of my wisdom from the Disboards for that trip!

I have read 69 pages worth of the Med planning thread, but still have questions.
Okay to ask those here? Or maybe there is a Disney cruise mentor available?

Or should I start a pre-trip report with all my plans/questions/crazy ideas?
I'm happy to help .. Have done 3 Med cruises and booked this one too as its only a short 2 hour flight to Barca for us.
We always book DIY excursions so the timings and itinerary suit us and not the other 50 people on the bus. We use www.yourtourinitaly.com for all of them and they are great. When you look at their web page, if you don't see a tour you like, email Andreina and tell her what you'd like, they are very helpful and friendly.

Best wishes
Joa
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #67
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Candyman View Post
I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure we saw Sparta last year and this year. Amy has a weakness for the Krewe of Barkus so we've been to two Mardi Gras to see it. Eventually I want to be at the full blown Mardi Gras weekend.

So, not having done the Europe cruises, what do they replace Pirates in the Caribbean with? I assume there will be a formal and semi-formal night? I have kilts and am not afraid to use them :D Last cruise (8-day Bahamas) I did the whole one in kilts, including the 5K -

The photographers went crazy at times :D One of them kicked Amy out of the pic to do some solos of me. If they been some of Amy's favorites she might have been a bit ticked.

What unique things should we expect?

Jim
Pirate night is the same .. Same menu, same show, same name, same fireworks, just a different location!
There was one menu change and that was Mediterranean Menu (surprise surprise) .. It had some weird stuff that I now can't remember! Sorry.

There were Med pins available and of course plenty of clothing with Med written on them. Also, the characters were in local dress at certain ports.

Hope that helps
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #68
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianni View Post

We are hoping (cross your fingers) we may get lucky and be able to catch a soccer game while in Barcelona after we disembark. Has anyone else booked flights or hotels in Barcelona yet?
Just in case you weren't aware, the European football season ends mid May, but you could book a tour of Camp Nou instead. It's a fantastic stadium, albeit quite old looking now compared to others.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #69
chefgirl96
Earning My Ears

Is there some sort of "ideal" timeframe to book airfare?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #70
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
We've just booked ours, but its only a 2 hour flight to Barca for us. We booked it with BA as their prices had dropped to below what we paid this year (with another airline).

Maybe see if your chosen airline has had a regular time for sales each year and wait for that? Where are you flying from?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #71
Tianni
Tianni Rowley,

Quote:
I'll tell ya what... I'd book NOW... We booked a few weeks ago and when I looked the other day the prices had gone up $2000.00 for the 4 of us... It made me glad we booked when we did! We also learned that if you stay Sunday and go home Monday... It may be cheaper still to stay in a hotel on Sunday evening and fly home on Monday. That is what we are planning on doing. We are also flying into Dublin for a night as well.

We are flying United if that helps any... United was MUCH cheaper than Delta... We also tried KLM (through Delta) but it was also much more expensive as well... Hope this helps!

Tianni

Disney Dream 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013, counting the days until The Disney Magic in 2014!

Have you ever Wondered where you could
have you every Dream come true?
The most incredible Fantasy become reality?
A Magical adventure that only Disney can give you.

I canNOT wait!!
Tianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #72
Tianni
Tianni Rowley,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Just in case you weren't aware, the European football season ends mid May, but you could book a tour of Camp Nou instead. It's a fantastic stadium, albeit quite old looking now compared to others.
Bummer... But we will have to look into this for DS!!!

Tianni

Disney Dream 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013, counting the days until The Disney Magic in 2014!

Have you ever Wondered where you could
have you every Dream come true?
The most incredible Fantasy become reality?
A Magical adventure that only Disney can give you.

I canNOT wait!!
Tianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #73
chefgirl96
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Maybe see if your chosen airline has had a regular time for sales each year and wait for that? Where are you flying from?
We are flying from Chicago (U.S.) - I am just wondering if more flights will open up since it "seems" so far off. Or are whatever flights already available the only ones which will ever be?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianni View Post

Bummer... But we will have to look into this for DS!!!
We visited Camp Nou after the EBTA and it was amazing. If you have a soccer fanatic in the family I highly recommend it.

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #75
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

Well we are crunching the numbers and it looks like we are going to be able to swing it. Big issue is 2015's trip is to Gretna Green for renewing our vows on our 20th. We can't jeopardize that.

But like I said we are looking like it will happen. Will probably make the decision next month. We will have to probably cut some corners. No extra nights in Barcelona, one official port adventure (the rest will have to be us walking it, which I'm sure will be fine) maybe only one brunch, etc. I will probably lose in the pin budget as well

On the Gretna well will probably cut it from 9 days to 5 to save on hotels. Instead of the tours of London or Edinburgh we'll hit the zoo. Amy loves pandas

Quote:
Pirate night is the same .. Same menu, same show, same name, same fireworks, just a different location!
There was one menu change and that was Mediterranean Menu (surprise surprise) .. It had some weird stuff that I now can't remember! Sorry.

There were Med pins available and of course plenty of clothing with Med written on them. Also, the characters were in local dress at certain ports.

Hope that helps
Thanks. Wouldn't be a Disney cruise without Pirate Night!

Jim
Kilted Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: