Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Grotto pool (Swan/Dolphin) is probably the second best pool on property.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Anniefrances
Mouseketeer

For that age I would consider CBR for the pirate themed pool. My kids (then ages 6 and 8) loved it when we stayed last summer.
2001 offsite (shh! left a conference for the day to check it all out ), 2002 POR , 2003 Disneyland , 2004 BWI, cancelled--medical issues , 2005 Poly , 2007 POP , 2008 POP , 2009, POP , 2010 CR CL , 2011 WL , 2011 POP (short trip for G's birthday) , 2012 ASMo/CBR , 2013 AS Sp , 2014 AS Sp (short trip for J's birthday) , summer 2014 AS Sp
Anniefrances is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

The volcano pool at the Poly is my favorite - even over Stormalong Bay.

Keep in mind that value resorts will not have a pool slide so if that is important to you, don't book a value.

And here is WHY I like the Poly pool best because it contains our requirements. This might help you refine your requirements and decide on a pool:

- Must have a slide and we prefer a partially enclosed slide.
- DH or I should be able to see the entire pool from our vantage point so we can keep an eye on the kids.
- Easy access to a pool bar and quick service food.
- No walking on public walkways to get to any part of the pool.
- Easily accessible to get to the pool, in and out of the pool area, and close to a 'quiet' pool.
- Cool theme (why stay at a plain ole pool if they offer cool ones???)
- Nearby shade - natural and man-made.

At Poly, these are the extras we enjoy that go above and beyond our requirements:

- View of the castle while you are swimming!!!
- No hut tub - YUP, that's a plus for us! They are a cess pool of germs and usually it is full of a bunch of kids so you can't relax anyway. And it prevents us from having to monitor the kids. We don't restrict them from going in, but our rule is only 1 minute for every 1 year they are. So they can stay in for 9 minutes at 9 years old. The problem is that they want to go back in again and again and it dehydrates them too quickly. Without the hot tub, I do not have to 'fight' that battle of how often they can go in!
- The tropical setting
- The waterfall into the pool - one of our favorite features!!
- Really good quick service nearby (um yes, I'll have another dole whip please!)
- A beach next to the pool
- Zero entry part

So Stormalong Bay, while vast, is too vast for us! I can't keep my eye on the kids and just sit in one chair and relax. As the kids become teenagers though, this might be a better spot. I also HATE crossing a public walkway to get to the slide.

CSR has an AWESOME slide - the best I've been on at Disney - it is long and fun. And the pool is shaped so you can pretty much keep an eye on your kids from one spot. Unfortunately, this was the most crowded pool and a dirty pool and the quick service is not so quick. We went in July so I'm sure that had something to do with it but it didn't sit well with me. The movie IN the pool was really cool though!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

My kids rank the CSR pool a close second to SAB. After that, they liked AKL-Kidani. They didn't love Boardwalk or OKW.

The Poly pool is nice if you are going during a slow time, but it much too small for a full resort. My kids did not like the Poly slide nearly as much as the CSR slide, though.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Our Kids loved the Clown pool at BWV, especially the slide. They were 9/7 at the time. We're staying across the water at BCV in August and looking froward to SAB.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
Mamato3Princes
Adventure is out there!

We haven't stayed at all the resorts, yet. But, we loved the pool at Kidani. My boys loved the slide. Actually, we loved everything about Kidani (except the bus stop area) .

Feb 4-9, 2012@CRMKView//Feb 9-14, 2012@BWV! Our sons' 1st trip! May 28-June 1, 2012@POR! Aug 26-29, 2012@OKW! Oct 27-28, 2012@CSR! Dec 7-9, 2012@POR!
Jan 28-Feb 1, 2013@AKV! Mar 9-12, 2014 @POR! Baby girl's 1st trip! Mar 15-19, 2014 @BC!
Next trip is May 19th-25th! Staying in a 2 bedroom Savanna view at Kidani! And then switching to Boardwalk Inn!

Mamato3Princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchronister
We have 5 nights booked at WLV, but the way our airline flies, Friday to Friday, we need to book to more nights somewhere. My DSinL wants to book somewhere with a really good pool for my DN7, WL pool is okay, no complaints, but it is kinda plain compared to some. We can't stay at Beach Club and have stayed at BWV, so my question is: not considering Stormalong Bay, which resort has the best pool, things that a 7 year old would like. Thanks, Dena
We like the bw pool much better than sab - never really understood the hype that pool generates -- difficult to watch kids, a pain to walk to the slide, too narrow in places, etc
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I think AoA has some cute themed pools, especially for kids. I'd have to disagree with POR - the pool is fine, but not much theme to it, shady, and crowded. POFQ is kind of cheesy and small to me, but kids might get a kick out of the slide.
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

We like the pool at AKL. It's really big and has a slide and I love the landscaping.

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Cotillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

My then nine year old could not get enough of the slide at BWI.

2011: WDW, Wilderness Lodge | 2012: WDW, Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge | 2013: WDW, Polynesian CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL | 2013: DLR, Candy Cane Inn

Up next: CCI/GCH, August 2014

mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine

We like the bw pool much better than sab - never really understood the hype that pool generates -- difficult to watch kids, a pain to walk to the slide, too narrow in places, etc
Scary clown...nope, can't do it...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

I would say AKL because you get three pool areas - the one at Jambo (with slide), the one at Kidani (with slide), and the Kidani splash/play area, which seemed to be fun.

I also like the Poly pool for young kids/toddlers because it is small and so easy to keep an eye on them, but for a 7-year old, that's less of an issue and it is smaller and gets crowded. So, I think your best pool value is AKL.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #28
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

We loved the pool at AKL. The slide was cool and the setting was awesome. You really can't beat having live flamingos in their own little pool right behind the "human" pool!
I will throw in POP. The pools there are wonderfully themed. No slides, but perfect for just hanging out and having fun.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
The volcano pool at the Poly is my favorite - even over Stormalong Bay.

Keep in mind that value resorts will not have a pool slide so if that is important to you, don't book a value.

And here is WHY I like the Poly pool best because it contains our requirements. This might help you refine your requirements and decide on a pool:

- Must have a slide and we prefer a partially enclosed slide.
- DH or I should be able to see the entire pool from our vantage point so we can keep an eye on the kids.
- Easy access to a pool bar and quick service food.
- No walking on public walkways to get to any part of the pool.
- Easily accessible to get to the pool, in and out of the pool area, and close to a 'quiet' pool.
- Cool theme (why stay at a plain ole pool if they offer cool ones???)
- Nearby shade - natural and man-made.

At Poly, these are the extras we enjoy that go above and beyond our requirements:

- View of the castle while you are swimming!!!
- No hut tub - YUP, that's a plus for us! They are a cess pool of germs and usually it is full of a bunch of kids so you can't relax anyway. And it prevents us from having to monitor the kids. We don't restrict them from going in, but our rule is only 1 minute for every 1 year they are. So they can stay in for 9 minutes at 9 years old. The problem is that they want to go back in again and again and it dehydrates them too quickly. Without the hot tub, I do not have to 'fight' that battle of how often they can go in!
- The tropical setting
- The waterfall into the pool - one of our favorite features!!
- Really good quick service nearby (um yes, I'll have another dole whip please!)
- A beach next to the pool
- Zero entry part

So Stormalong Bay, while vast, is too vast for us! I can't keep my eye on the kids and just sit in one chair and relax. As the kids become teenagers though, this might be a better spot. I also HATE crossing a public walkway to get to the slide.

CSR has an AWESOME slide - the best I've been on at Disney - it is long and fun. And the pool is shaped so you can pretty much keep an eye on your kids from one spot. Unfortunately, this was the most crowded pool and a dirty pool and the quick service is not so quick. We went in July so I'm sure that had something to do with it but it didn't sit well with me. The movie IN the pool was really cool though!
We are partial to the Poly pool as well for so many of the reasons Tinkerbellie16 mentioned above. The debate over no hot tub is a non issue for us as well as we have no desire to use a public hot tub for the same reasons that Tinkerbellie16 mentioned above too. Watching Wishes from the Poly pool is magical. The Volcano Slide is fast and fun. The pool and beach are surrounded by a beautiful tropical setting. Very relaxing, IMO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: