Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Passport for 18 month old?

My mother and I are taking my 18 month old son on a 7day eastern Caribbean cruise on the fantasy in September. I've read different views...but will a birth certificate be enough? Or should I go ahead and pay for a passport? I've read a bc is ok in an emergency to fly home with me( with my valid passport)...but if that's not correct, I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. What do y'all think?
bgdyer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdyer916
My mother and I are taking my 18 month old son on a 7day eastern Caribbean cruise on the fantasy in September. I've read different views...but will a birth certificate be enough? Or should I go ahead and pay for a passport? I've read a bc is ok in an emergency to fly home with me( with my valid passport)...but if that's not correct, I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. What do y'all think?
I believe that 125 dollars is worth the peace of mind. IMO, during an emergency, worrying about how I am going to get my 2 yo DS back home is not what I want to concentrate on....
Also, its a great way to have a photo id for your child. I know there are many arguments for why and why not and you have to figure out what is best for you and your family.

We are cruising in sept and I can't wait to get some miles on our ds's passport
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdyer916 View Post
The passport requirement for children says:

All minors regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air

The same as for adults.

For a closed loop cruise the minimum requirement for anyone is a certified birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

It's up to you where your comfort zone is in relation to having a passport or not for a closed loop cruise.

A childs passport costs $80.00 plus a $25.00 processing fee. Plus the cost of a passport photo.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
wnissen
Mouseketeer

Passports for kids are especially tricky because they expire so quickly (5 years instead of the usual 10), but by waiting until 18 months at least you won't have to buy four child passports before they turn 16, if it ends up being a regular thing.

I've read several cases where people without passports were able to fly home in dire emergencies, so it's not impossible, but for me it's peace of mind. I often go without trip insurance, but the knowledge that I'll unconditionally be able to board an aircraft without hassle is worth it to me. The real nightmare is traveling with one parent and the child, because then there's the possibility that you are removing the child from the country in a divorce, etc.

One tip for taking the picture, have them lie down against a white background, it's easier than trying to get a toddler to hold up their head straight in a seated position.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Both our kids have gotten passports before they turn a year old. The photos are not difficult to take and having unquestionable proof of citizenship for any possible need is worth it to me. And, by doing not all at once for everyone, the cost is easier to bear and think of as an investment over time.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnissen View Post
One tip for taking the picture, have them lie down against a white background, it's easier than trying to get a toddler to hold up their head straight in a seated position.
Agreed. Got a passport for my newborn recently, and that's exactly how we did it. Getting pp photos for babies is not easy.

Venice to Barcelona on the Magic Jul 2014
Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
JCinMN
Earning My Ears

We got a passport for our daughter before her first birthday (when I was renewing mine) even though we didn't have a trip booked yet. I wanted to be sure we were prepared as soon as a trip came up. I felt it was money well spent. It's the safest option and compared to the cost of the cruise (usually) the passport price for a child is a drop in the bucket.
Island Princess June 2011 (Alaska)
Louis Cruises Aquamarine July 2008 (Greek Islands)

Tahitian Princess February 2005 (Tahiti honeymoon)
Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)
Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)
Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)
JCinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnissen View Post
Passports for kids are especially tricky because they expire so quickly (5 years instead of the usual 10), but by waiting until 18 months at least you won't have to buy four child passports before they turn 16, if it ends up being a regular thing.

I've read several cases where people without passports were able to fly home in dire emergencies, so it's not impossible, but for me it's peace of mind. I often go without trip insurance, but the knowledge that I'll unconditionally be able to board an aircraft without hassle is worth it to me. The real nightmare is traveling with one parent and the child, because then there's the possibility that you are removing the child from the country in a divorce, etc.

I'm going without my husband...will it be a problem? I've decided to go ahead and get a passport...but will I need something stating I'm traveling alone with my son and my husband knows?
bgdyer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
amyh13
Mouseketeer

We went on an extended family cruise (closed loop) when my son was 2. Everyone in the party had valid passports except for my mother and my son. My mother has health issues so I freaked out that if she needed to get back to the states for medical reasons, she needed a passport. Well, I wasn't going to cruise with the only person in my party NOT able to fly back to the US be my son. So I got him a passport at the same time as my mom. Now I have a DD. Last fall took another cruise. Again, she would have been the only one in my party w/o a passport. Not worth the risk to me. Renewed mine, got her one. Renewed my husband's and sons for this years spring break cruise. Totally worth it to me. But it isn't cheap. Depends on your risk tolerance.
amyh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
commdoc
Mouseketeer

You both have to appear together to get the passport. If he's unavailable a notarized form is required. Once that is done though, and the passport is in hand, no worries and no need for any additional consent. Just had to do this for my 8 year olds second passport even though we did it together for his first (they don't renew by mail for minors).
commdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm going without my husband...will it be a problem? I've decided to go ahead and get a passport...but will I need something stating I'm traveling alone with my son and my husband knows?
While I don't think it is required, and may not be needed, it is strongly suggested that you have a notarized letter from the other parent any time you take a child out of the country without both parents. Like a passport, for comfort's sake I'd take one, especially considering it won't be a hassle (divorce, absent father, etc.). You never know when you'll get an ornery customs official who wants to question anything.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went ahead and got a passport for my daughter who was 18 months at the time. And we are off to our next cruise in 9 months so it will be used again.
I think the better safe than sorry method is a good way to go.........
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, but you will need him to go get the passport. Two parents have to be there to get a child's passport completed and underway.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've read a bc is ok in an emergency to fly home with me( with my valid passport)
No, that's not true.

Quote:
If I were traveling internationally without DH I would have him make up a letter and have it notarized, just in case there are questions.

to get the passport you either need to both be there, or the parent who can't be there fills out a form that's notarized, and then there are other ways beyond that. For you, it's the first two options, though.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
No, but you will need him to go get the passport. Two parents have to be there to get a child's passport completed and underway.
No...there is a form that you can down load from the Goverment web site,fill out,notarize and bring with you to get the passport...no need for both parents to be present. Just as a side note when our daughter was 14 I took her to get her passport renewed and was not asked for any other paper work.

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: