Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #511
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwald View Post
From the Bahamas Tribune today:

COMMISSIONER of Police Ellison Greenslade,

"We Did All We Were Required To Do In Disney Cruise Case"

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/...y-cruise-case/

Now I'M a little suspicious of the media, since at the end of the article they refer to Carnival, rather than Disney. Who edits these things??

And I don't understand the part about being docked 1000 feet from shore....???
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #512
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

Now I'M a little suspicious of the media, since at the end of the article they refer to Carnival, rather than Disney. Who edits these things??

I agree, the punctuation and editing was awful. It opened with DCL and closed with Carnival... Oops... Prob should fix that. Its the last thing poor carnival needs right now...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #513
matthew517
Mouseketeer

I would have called 911 if we were still in port at Port Canaveral or any other US port.
I don't care about the schedule my daughter or granddaughter is more important.
That Indian crew member would have been in bars before the sail away party.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #514
matthew517
Mouseketeer

If DCL helped the guy escape I would have the captain arrested as soon as we arrived in PC. For his role in the crime.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #515
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

well- lets just hope we now get questions answered...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #516
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
For the record:

1. By international law the Vessel is under Bahamas flag and the Bahamas they can and apparently DID assert jurisdiction after they got to Nassau.

In Florida, local, state and/or the feds could assert jurisdiction. I see no report they ever did, even after they were advised.

2. The vessel was 100% wrong morally and I believe legally to have sailed without advising if not local, SOME authority before leaving Florida.

3. The Master was aware of what was going on, maybe not the full details, but of the attack and was at best wrong to sail.

4. While in Nassau, the authorities questioned the ******* and got him to admit. What they may or may not have required regarding this ******* flown home to India (which we all know from the recent events and rapes in India, do not take this kind of thing seriously) I do not know.

5. There MAY have been a crew contract which required Disney to fly the ******* to India to face legal action there.

6. I don't blame the grandmother from wanting to stop the investigation to protect the child. We all know how corrupted the lawyers and judged have made our legal system trying to protect criminals. They would have put that child though hell!

7. I don't care how long ago this happened, its still wrong!

As the vessel had already sailed, I would have preferred they had just. dropping the ******* overboard at sea!

Pleas note my last comment was as a Father and not a Ships Officer.

AKK
This story is sickening. I just got back in the country and saw this thread; I only made it about 10 pages in. I concur 100% with everything you said!! (that's twice today, a record for us!) Justmestace is right to be upset; heaven forbid this had been another cruise line, this board would have gone nuts with accusations of blame.

The ship had no business sailing with that animal onboard. There are video cameras everywhere on these ships and an accusation of forcible contact should have had people jumping through hoops to get to the bottom of it immediately. He should have been thrown off the ship to the authorities in FL, but I prefer your idea of throwing him overboard!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #517
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Pretty sloppy jouralism in that Bahamian report. Not sure what the "docked 1000 feet from shore" means. Maybe they meant it was w/i 1000 feet of shore?

This statement is why I believe the police were not called in PC.

“We were told that they wanted no further action and we were not allowed to see the child and the grandmother, who spoke for her, insisted it was a done deal and they did not want any further police involvement."

The scenario I can see happending is when DCL security told the child/grandmother they said they would need to call the police, the grandmother flately refused and said they would not talk to police. At that point, security had nothing but hearsay. They had not yet seen the tape or talked to the suspect. All they had was they child/grandmother's saying the child was touched inapproiately but then they said they would not talk to police. Could DCL have called police anyway? Sure. But all they had was second hand info (or 3rd hand if the child only spoke Portuguese), no witness, no evidence and a victim who won't even talk to them. Good for DCL for investgating and finding the tape and the perp and having him taken off the ship.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14

Last edited by Rogillio; 05-28-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #518
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
well- lets just hope we now get questions answered...
I will say we prob won't get questions answered. The news never answers the questions and I haven't seen this on Fox news etc, so I will guess prob not getting news people want to hear about. IMO
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #519
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
I will say we prob won't get questions answered. The news never answers the questions and I haven't seen this on Fox news etc, so I will guess prob not getting news people want to hear about. IMO
you could be right but in my opinion its up to Disney to answer questions at this point- sloppy journalism or not, something obviously happened on that ship- there was a report, there is a video and now there's confirmation the alleged assaulter was sent home and evidently fired...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #520
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a life, thank you very much. It was 3 or 4 days between my last post and my most recent. And if you don't want to talk about this anymore, but some of the rest of us do....then go on with YOUR life.

Trust me, If DCL were handing out free tickets, then they would owe me big time for the 3 broken ribs and sprained wrist & torn ligaments that's never healed properly. After 12 or 13 cruises with them (including a 10 night, an 11 night and the Panama Canal), almost all in the top suites, having a wedding on Castaway Cay and paying for multiple other staterooms on various cruises, if they handed out freebies based on number of cruises or amount spent, I'd be somewhere near the front of the line, but that will NEVER happen. Although I'm not entirely sure what you meant by that statement in the first place.

I don't understand where your defensiveness is coming in to play. I still have a cruise with Disney booked. I don't hate them. I want to go on a special cruise (out of San Juan) with friends.......but I still won't trust them. The only thing I wish people would realize is that they aren't all magic and pixie dust. They aren't perfect.
heresy i say!!! heresy!!

but imagine that- people like you, i and others would actually want to know what went down....for some the head in the sand theory is much easier than actually demanding the truth...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #521
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Trust me, If DCL were handing out free tickets, then they would owe me big time for the 3 broken ribs and sprained wrist & torn ligaments that's never healed properly. After 12 or 13 cruises with them (including a 10 night, an 11 night and the Panama Canal), almost all in the top suites, having a wedding on Castaway Cay and paying for multiple other staterooms on various cruises, if they handed out freebies based on number of cruises or amount spent, I'd be somewhere near the front of the line, but that will NEVER happen. Although I'm not entirely sure what you meant by that statement in the first place.
I seriously feel for you!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #522
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a life, thank you very much. It was 3 or 4 days between my last post and my most recent. And if you don't want to talk about this anymore, but some of the rest of us do....then go on with YOUR life.

I don't understand where your defensiveness is coming in to play. I still have a cruise with Disney booked. I don't hate them. I want to go on a special cruise (out of San Juan) with friends.......but I still won't trust them. The only thing I wish people would realize is that they aren't all magic and pixie dust. They aren't perfect.

Hey, I want free cruise tickets too!

Unlike some here, this has not changed my opinion of Disney in the slightest for 2 reasons.

1. There is inconclusive evidence presented that DCL did anything wrong. There is innuendo and speculation of a cover-up but I do not find any evidence of that. Certainly there is room for reasonable doubt and I'm a firm believer in innocence until proven guilty. I also don’t trust all journalists not to pick and choose what ‘facts’ they present.

2. Even if it turns out that someone did not follow Disney procedures, it was one or 2 individuals and that does not indicate a systemic problem with Disney. It just means that a couple of people screwed up doing their job. If this is the case, I’m confident Disney will fire them if the situation warrants dismissal.

Our family loves Disney. I have been a Disney fan since I was 5 years old and remember WDW being built and watching the Wonderful World of Disney where they showed time-lapse photos of MK being built! And years later my kids grew up watching Disney movies, going to the parks and on Disney cruises and seeing Broadways Disney shows, owning countless Buzz Lightyear and Woody toys, etc But I have always recognized that Disney is a corporation run by people not by fairies. Disney provides goods and services for a profit. Period. They are well run corporation and very successful but they are not perfect.

I still trust Disney more than any other company in the world with my family vacation.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #523
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

Unlike some here, this has not changed my opinion of Disney in the slightest for 2 reasons.

1. There is inconclusive evidence presented that DCL did anything wrong. There is innuendo and speculation of a cover-up but I do not find any evidence of that. Certainly there is room for reasonable doubt and I'm a firm believer in innocence until proven guilty. I also don’t trust all journalists not to pick and choose what ‘facts’ they present.

2. Even if it turns out that someone did not follow Disney procedures, it was one or 2 individuals and that does not indicate a systemic problem with Disney. It just means that a couple of people screwed up doing their job. If this is the case, I’m confident Disney will fire them if the situation warrants dismissal.

Our family loves Disney. I have been a Disney fan since I was 5 years old and remember WDW being built and watching the Wonderful World of Disney where they showed time-lapse photos of MK being built! And years later my kids grew up watching Disney movies, going to the parks and on Disney cruises and seeing Broadways Disney shows, owning countless Buzz Lightyear and Woody toys, etc But I have always recognized that Disney is a corporation run by people not by fairies. Disney provides goods and services for a profit. Period. They are well run corporation and very successful but they are not perfect.

I still trust Disney more than any other company in the world with my family vacation.

Sweet Home Alabama......great post..
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #524
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:

I so feel for you Stace.
As far as the magic and pixie dust, that is what they sell. There are far better amusement parks and better cruise companies that give a better bang for your buck while providing equal services. It is the magic and pixie dust that drives people to them. And no one has to be perfect, but a truly reputable company would strive for perfection, own up to things that aren't, and fix what they've done wrong.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #525
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

This pretty much nails it. Too much conjecture about the whole situation. Not enough facts to base a strong opinion on. If DCL made a habit of sitting on potentially damaging news and off loading suspected perps in the Bahamas then I could see being concerned. Until then, I'll continue to trust them with family vacations.

By the way, this doesn't mean we have our heads in the sand. Most of us knew that Disney/DCL simply wants our money and have their brand as a way to get it. They don't do things "the Disney way" because it's the right way but because it's proven successful at making money.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: