Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #31
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinknalli View Post

The bottom line is there are creeps everywhere, including Disney ships, so watch your kids and don't be lulled into false sense of security because it is Disney or any other line.
So True..there are bad people everywhere! Also teach your kids that there is safety in numbers! My girls had a lot of freedom when they were younger, but they knew the "stay together" rule.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There are some interesting things about the incident:

The incident occurred in August 2012.

There is a videotape.

The parent (grandparent) didn't want to press charges.

The crew member was fired and deported.

The allegation appears to be that this happened while the ship was in port, the perpetrator (a dining room server) was identified from the video while the ship was still in port, but DCL didn't want to delay departure by having a police investigation start onboard, so they didn't report it until after the ship had sailed. The perpetrator was suspended from duty, removed from the ship by Bahamian authorities and deported to India. I assume he wasn't tried in the Bahamas as the grandmother declined to press charges.

That was a bad move. The crime occurred while the ship was in port, they should have notified the local police, even if it would have held up departure.

Was sort of enjoying the comments to the article, especially the one that said children should never be allowed aboard cruise ships because it's too dangerous. Not just pedophiles, but they could fall overboard or be killed like on the Costa Concordia. Like it's the kid's fault just for being there.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 05-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
anna08
DIS Veteran

I would be interested to hear what the legal perspective on this is as a frequent cruise traveler.

What is the law concerning crimes perpetrated at port?

If you were the parent, what would have happened if you called police before the ship embarked?

I read this on the Child Protective Services for Sarasota -

Florida Statutes Chapter 39 states that any person who has knowledge, or reasonable cause to suspect that a child is being abused or neglected must report that information to the Florida Abuse Hotline (1-800-96-ABUSE). By law, failure to report suspicions of child maltreatment is a first degree misdemeanor, as is interfering with or preventing another person from making a report. Knowingly making a false report is a third degree felony. ALL FLORIDA CITIZENS ARE MANDATED REPORTERS OF CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT.

As I stated before, the family did not have to press charges for the person to charged.

So does this not apply to a ship's administrator of a ship docked in port?

Can someone with maritime law comment please?

I'm starting to think that cruise ships are a lawless microcosm and I'm not liking it.

I would like to think this person will never get a visa to enter the US again, but without a paper trail, he's probably working for another cruise line already.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

I guess I'm thinking that once identified at 4:48pm, the ship has already begun to cast off. In any case, he was identified then. Then, he needs to be found and questioned as part of DCL's international investigation. He wasn't found & questioned until 7:50pm (which is interesting because he's a head server, so he would've had main dining at 5:45pm). Action was taken when he finally confessed on the Nassau port day.

So, I'm thinking, DCL or her family would've had to call police immediately after it happened in order to involve PC police?

I liken it to settling out of court.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Oh my goodness. I saw this article on my email and came to the boards and certainly found the curious questions and disgust over the situation. But I am really disturbed that there is a video that was RELEASED of a MINOR being attacked and am more disturbed that random people feel they have to watch it and JUDGE. Give this girl some privacy. Judging and pointing a finger is not doing anything for this girl or the situation. Watching her attack is victimizing her again...and again...and again... I am so thoroughly disgusted that this video is allowed to be on the internet and that people are watching it. Let her be.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #36
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

While Disney didn't call the authorities while in port, the took care of the situation that day and have proof. They didn't ignore it, they didn't let it go on. Disney did what they should have. Sure they could have called the authorities a few minute sooner, but in the end they did more than most other lines would do. I think this shows that disney as a company is trustworthy and responsible, but that doesn't include employees. It's not like disney can every workers thoughts.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Oh my goodness. I saw this article on my email and came to the boards and certainly found the curious questions and disgust over the situation. But I am really disturbed that there is a video that was RELEASED of a MINOR being attacked and am more disturbed that random people feel they have to watch it and JUDGE. Give this girl some privacy. Judging and pointing a finger is not doing anything for this girl or the situation. Watching her attack is victimizing her again...and again...and again... I am so thoroughly disgusted that this video is allowed to be on the internet and that people are watching it. Let her be.
I agree! That poor girl.

I think that we may all be jumping to conclusions until we hear the other side from Disney. The article keeps saying what the girl told them etc. etc. , but we don't even have any direct quotes from her or her family either. It will be interesting to see what happens when this is all over.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
donalduck
DIS Veteran

Why didn't the grandmother press charges? Is she really that stupid?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #39
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck View Post
Why didn't the grandmother press charges? Is she really that stupid?

If DCL had done their job properly, the grandmother wouldn't have HAD to press charges, the State of Florida would have done that for her.

There are a few reasons that women don't press charges....the biggest one being that they want to put the whole episode behind them and try to heal and move on, and not put themselves (or their daughters, granddaughters, whatever) through the hell of what happens when a young girl is molested or raped. I know this process from experience, and in looking back, would have handled a similar situation in an entirely different way. Yes, I'm admitting that I would have had someone meet the perp (perv) in a dark spot one night and taken care of things.

Until you go through it, you can't imagine how unbelievably humiliating, horrifying, demeaning...you name it....the whole process is.

Plus, since the crew member had already been dismissed, what would this family have had to go through in order to prosecute?? Where would they have had to travel for interviews, a trial, etc??

I get sick to death of people blaming the victim.

The blame for this one lands squarely on the perpetraitor and on DCL.
You can't tell me that it took HOURS to identify one of their own employees, especially one who is not "behind the scenes" but is recognizable at every single meal. What a crock.

And to anyone who is defending DCL, shame on you. They KNOW the law and they chose to ignore it. Money and power can make people believe that they are above the law. Not wanting to hold up the ship and "ruin other people's vacation" has never been an issue in the event of medical emergencies....I've seen it happen.

As far as the news station not being reliable....that's a moot point, too. There is PLENTY of documentation and an ADMISSION OF GUILT.....and it makes NO DIFFERENCE in this case, what outlet reported it, nor what their motives were.

If this had happened on another cruise line and had been posted here, we'd see 20+ pages of outraged posts by now.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordMomof2 View Post
I agree! That poor girl.

I think that we may all be jumping to conclusions until we hear the other side from Disney. The article keeps saying what the girl told them etc. etc. , but we don't even have any direct quotes from her or her family either. It will be interesting to see what happens when this is all over.

AS IF Disney would make a public statement!

There ARE direct quotes, there IS a report from DCL Security, and there is a confession from the crew member.

It IS all over. The crew member was allowed to leave the ship and return to his home country to continue his pedophile ways. He's not being charged, so there won't be more to the story. Just an attempt to cover up a blatant crime by Disney.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

If that is my family, I'm calling 911 from the cell phone if we're still in US port as soon as it happens and not just reporting it to guest services.

But since the grandmother refused to press charges in the Bahamas (can only speculate as to why, but it probably would have meant cutting their trip short, and coming to the Bahamas again to testify), Disney did all they could do at that time by firing him and sending him home.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
If that is my family, I'm calling 911 from the cell phone if we're still in US port as soon as it happens and not just reporting it to guest services.

But since the grandmother refused to press charges in the Bahamas (can only speculate as to why, but it probably would have meant cutting their trip short, and coming to the Bahamas again to testify), Disney did all they could do at that time by firing him and sending him home.

But they didn't do all they could....they could have (and should have) followed Florida law, and called the police while they were still in port.

But it's the same in the Disney Parks.....no one dies at Disney.....they wait until a body is off property before declaring a death. God forbid Disney should get a bad reputation.

And I agree with you, if it looked to me as if DCL crew were dragging their heels, I would have called the police myself, but this happened to a family from an entirely different culture than ours and they were probably not familiar with the proceedings, probably in shock and scared, and probably TRUSTED DCL to take care of them. I learned the hard way that that isn't going to happen. They DO lie, and they will tell you anything while you're onboard to keep you from raising a ruckus.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Why do people keep saying he was a head waiter??? It says At 4:48 p.m., the video was shown to a dining manager, who identified the suspect by name and position, a dining room server from India.

Also, people seem to not be thinking of these events in real time. The guest services investigator can't make the call to hold up the cast off, or to report it. He reports to his superiors, who reports to his, who reports to...it finally gets to the captain who either makes the call, or contacts a DCL Exec. It depends on their policies and management structure.

It is very possible that the person who makes the decision had enough information to make it before the ship sailed. Also, they know they can detain the guy on board...where is he gonna go?

We also don't know what conversations were had between DCL and the Grandmother. Did she say they would not cooperate with any investigation? Were they satisfied with the decision to send him back to India, and thought that justice enough? Did DCL bribe them with free cruises for 10 year? We just don't know.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #44
donalduck
DIS Veteran

I see your point. I have no idea what it's like. I am sorry that you had to go through something like that. No one should ever have to go through anything like that. If I was that girl's father he would have went swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
If DCL had done their job properly, the grandmother wouldn't have HAD to press charges, the State of Florida would have done that for her.

There are a few reasons that women don't press charges....the biggest one being that they want to put the whole episode behind them and try to heal and move on, and not put themselves (or their daughters, granddaughters, whatever) through the hell of what happens when a young girl is molested or raped. I know this process from experience, and in looking back, would have handled a similar situation in an entirely different way. Yes, I'm admitting that I would have had someone meet the perp (perv) in a dark spot one night and taken care of things.

Until you go through it, you can't imagine how unbelievably humiliating, horrifying, demeaning...you name it....the whole process is.

Plus, since the crew member had already been dismissed, what would this family have had to go through in order to prosecute?? Where would they have had to travel for interviews, a trial, etc??

I get sick to death of people blaming the victim.

The blame for this one lands squarely on the perpetraitor and on DCL.
You can't tell me that it took HOURS to identify one of their own employees, especially one who is not "behind the scenes" but is recognizable at every single meal. What a crock.

And to anyone who is defending DCL, shame on you. They KNOW the law and they chose to ignore it. Money and power can make people believe that they are above the law. Not wanting to hold up the ship and "ruin other people's vacation" has never been an issue in the event of medical emergencies....I've seen it happen.

As far as the news station not being reliable....that's a moot point, too. There is PLENTY of documentation and an ADMISSION OF GUILT.....and it makes NO DIFFERENCE in this case, what outlet reported it, nor what their motives were.

If this had happened on another cruise line and had been posted here, we'd see 20+ pages of outraged posts by now.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #45
donalduck
DIS Veteran

It doesn't matter what kinda of job he did does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Why do people keep saying he was a head waiter??? It says At 4:48 p.m., the video was shown to a dining manager, who identified the suspect by name and position, a dining room server from India.

Also, people seem to not be thinking of these events in real time. The guest services investigator can't make the call to hold up the cast off, or to report it. He reports to his superiors, who reports to his, who reports to...it finally gets to the captain who either makes the call, or contacts a DCL Exec. It depends on their policies and management structure.

It is very possible that the person who makes the decision had enough information to make it before the ship sailed. Also, they know they can detain the guy on board...where is he gonna go?

We also don't know what conversations were had between DCL and the Grandmother. Did she say they would not cooperate with any investigation? Were they satisfied with the decision to send him back to India, and thought that justice enough? Did DCL bribe them with free cruises for 10 year? We just don't know.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: