Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #271
Sleepyluke
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 348

I am not trying to throw fuel to the fire because something did occur and that is not right and someone should be held accountable BUT, I am being half devils advocate and half really curious:

1. The Dream and DCL are not US soil, nor a true US company, are the they REQUIRED to know US law? Yes they should, but do they have to? As said in this thread before, maritime law is not what we understand to be the law in the US. Are they required to know all laws in every port? Most of their existence is at sea, and as sea, they are the law, so yes they do investigate things everyday unfortunately.

2. Does anyone know for a fact tthat it was not turned over to Indian authorities and THEY chose to do nothing?

3. Realistically it seems like there is a lot of Monday QB grandstanding by the local police and prosecutor. If it was such a big deal and they did know about it, then they would have been waiting at the port when the Dream got back, it is not like you don't know the giant Mickey boat is not back in town.

4. As far as the stated guidlines for the crime, in reality unfortunately in most circumstances, this would not have gotten him a day in jail. Maybe a place ride home paid by the US government, and not by Disney. (and we don't know for a fact that they paid for it, or do we). It may not have even been indicted on both accounts. As it was not a "violent" (and yes i know traumatic to the girl and I am not dicounting that at all) it will not even be considered at the life levels. Even violent offences are not considered much above the minimums anymore. Then he pleads to a lower charge and goes home. Yes it sucks, but there are people walking the streets and Wal mart isles with you that have killed people that won't spend that much time in jail.
I don't know Florida state laws, but most states, you have possiblilty of parole, and most get it, so they do not even serve the minimums.

5. Do I think he needs a boat anchor as a tie, yes, but that is not the law or reality. Do I think there may have been things done better or differently, absolutely, but do I KNOW that DCL, not Disney, intentionally covered it up to keep a pedophile safe from prosecution? No way.... Does it appear that way with one side of the equation, kinda. But I know from 1st hand knowledge of how drastically news reports vary from the true investigation, so at some point, you give each side the benefit of not all you see is true.

6. Yes there should be something in place to prevent this, and there are checks, but with the thousands of people they do and have employed, it is possible for 1 or several to get through the system. It is unfortunate that we even have to discuss these type of things, but DCL, WDW, DisneyLand are not plastic bubbles that you can be completely oblivious to reality.

Anyway, that is my version of reality for the day and I am not in the situation and hope that I never am. I feel for the little girl and hope that she is able to recover and get through this and have a long an happy life. Protect your kids, hug them daily and tell them you love them, but make sure they know that the world is full of people that are not out for their best interests.

Have a good day
Sleepyluke is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #272
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
All companies cover up bad news! It's what the PR departs do. They minimize bad press. Disney is a private company not the government. They are under no obligation to publicize bad events or when one of their employees made a bad decision.

This comes down to decision made by one or two people so lets not indict the entire company based on one incident.

Had the incident happed a few hours later DCL would have handled this exactly as they did and there would be no 'controvery' and no allegations of 'cover up'. Someone made the decision to sail instead of holding the entire ship at dock for the next 4 hrs while the local authorities came on board. That 'someone' need to explain why they made the decision they made. We've not heard from him/her but people are 100% certain he/she made the decision to cover up a child molestation.

Can't believe the over reaction of some people. Life happens. No company is perfect....because they are run by PEOPLE! Fallable people!
Covering up the sexual assault of an 11 year old? This is Penn State kind of stuff here we're talking about, and MULTIPLE people covered this up, potentially all the way up to the captain of the ship.

You're not in the least bit concerned about that?
__________________
Moxin is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #273
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyluke View Post

1. The Dream and DCL are not US soil, nor a true US company, are the they REQUIRED to know US law? Yes they should, but do they have to? As said in this thread before, maritime law is not what we understand to be the law in the US. Are they required to know all laws in every port? Most of their existence is at sea, and as sea, they are the law, so yes they do investigate things everyday unfortunately.

2. Does anyone know for a fact tthat it was not turned over to Indian authorities and THEY chose to do nothing?
In port at Port Canaveral they are bound to US law, and to quote Ron White "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Indian authorities would have no jurisdiction.
mrsklamc is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #274
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it
 
honeymo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 4,133

If the "coverup" was such a big deal, shouldn't the local authorities have said something/done something when they learned that DCL didn't return with the server? Why wasn't there an investigation and questioning of the victim when the ship returned? If local authorities were so outraged why didn't they speak up then and alert the media and other law enforcement agencies?
__________________
-Stephanie-
Me stitch eva nala
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #275
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
Covering up the sexual assault of an 11 year old? This is Penn State kind of stuff here we're talking about, and MULTIPLE people covered this up, potentially all the way up to the captain of the ship.

You're not in the least bit concerned about that?


Completely baseless! There is zero evidence of a 'cover up' of a sexual assult! None! The ONLY issue is when/where it got reported. The Penn State issue was a pattern of ingoring the assult for years. This was reported to athority the next day. The only thing DCL might have done wrong was trying to make an on-time departure by opting to deal with the issue in the Bahamas (where the ship is flagged) instead of where they happened to be docked. That is NOT a cover-up. I realize the words "cover up" make for sensational jouralism but there was no cover up here. Just a lot of baseless slander/liable.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #276
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
If the "coverup" was such a big deal, shouldn't the local authorities have said something/done something when they learned that DCL didn't return with the server? Why wasn't there an investigation and questioning of the victim when the ship returned? If local authorities were so outraged why didn't they speak up then and alert the media and other law enforcement agencies?
I think that's the point here...that it was covered up.
__________________
Moxin is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #277
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!
 
jcemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: too far from WDW
Posts: 8,177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
Covering up the sexual assault of an 11 year old? This is Penn State kind of stuff here we're talking about, and MULTIPLE people covered this up, potentially all the way up to the captain of the ship.

You're not in the least bit concerned about that?
Hmm...I think DCL did the wrong thing here, but it hardly compares to Penn State.
__________________
Tracey





* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #278
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Completely baseless! There is zero evidence of a 'cover up' of a sexual assult! None! The ONLY issue is when/where it got reported. The Penn State issue was a pattern of ingoring the assult for years. This was reported to athority the next day. The only thing DCL might have done wrong was trying to make an on-time departure by opting to deal with the issue in the Bahamas (where the ship is flagged) instead of where they happened to be docked. That is NOT a cover-up. I realize the words "cover up" make for sensational jouralism but there was no cover up here. Just a lot of baseless slander/liable.
Ummm, when you get rid of someone suspected of sexual assault and return them to their home country AFTER getting them off US soil...that's a cover up.
__________________
Moxin is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #279
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it
 
honeymo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ridley Park, PA
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post

I think that's the point here...that it was covered up.
I don't agree there was a coverup, but if so, then local authorities allowed it to remain hidden from the public for over 9 months as well when they knew about the assault the day after it occurred.
__________________
-Stephanie-
Me stitch eva nala
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #280
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
Hmm...I think DCL did the wrong thing here, but it hardly compares to Penn State.
A sexual assault is reported, and DCL did nothing...they looked the other way, debarked, and then got the suspect off of the ship, got him home, and out of harms way.

Maybe it's not on the same scale as Penn State, but the actions are equivalent.
__________________
Moxin is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #281
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
I don't agree there was a coverup, but if so, then local authorities allowed it to remain hidden from the public for over 9 months as well when they knew about the assault the day after it occurred.
What is their responsibility to report to the media? The suspect was gone, the family didn't press charges...
__________________
Moxin is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #282
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorsley View Post
You don't know anyone who actually works in PR, at least for a reputable company, do you? The job of a REAL PR professional (in terms of negative issues) is to take the mistake/misunderstanding...whatever and get ahead of it. Tell the company's consumers (us) that a mistake happened, that they understand that, they are sorry and they have made changes to policy/process...whatever to ensure that such an incident doesn't (or is unlikely) to ever occur again. The job of a PR team isn't to hide or cover-up, it is to restore/maintain the faith and trust of the consumer/public.

You have been the 1st to get defensive at posts you feel are inappropriate throughout this thread. I am personally offended by your bashing of an important and legitimate profession in order to minimize and deflect from the weakness of your argument. You know who leads the effort for companies & communities to rally around those in need? Who works with employers to better themselves and their products for consumers? To create synergy between sponsor companies and efforts like Race for the Cure or blood drives? PR Professionals. Thank you very much!

I actually know serveral people that work in PR for Fortune 500 Companiues.

I got defensive of rude/snarky comments directy at people like the one I bolded above. My comments were not directed at anyone. I stated my opinion about one of the funtions of public relations being to put the best spin on bad press. I stand by this opinion. I belive Disney does a good job of keeping a lid on negative news.

I'm sorry you took offence on behalf of the entire PR profession. Maybe the PR profession has a public relations issue with how people view thier profession. Just a thought.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #283
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!
 
jcemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: too far from WDW
Posts: 8,177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
A sexual assault is reported, and DCL did nothing...they looked the other way, debarked, and then got the suspect off of the ship, got him home, and out of harms way.

Maybe it's not on the same scale as Penn State, but the actions are equivalent.
It isn't anywhere near the same scale as Penn State. We're talking a mountain vs. a molehill when it comes to the difference in scale. IMO, they aren't comparable...unless we find out that this has happened hundreds of times over the past ten years, and that DCL knew about it the entire time.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I don't want it to sound as if I am condoning DCL's actions (or inaction, as the case may be). I don't think they handled this situation very well. However, as far as we know, it's one isolated incident. I sure as heck have no plans to cancel my upcoming WDW or DCL vacations based on one poorly handled incident where even the family involved did not press charges. If and when I hear that there were more such incidents, I may reconsider my opinion.
__________________
Tracey





* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #284
Rogillio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
Ummm, when you get rid of someone suspected of sexual assault and return them to their home country AFTER getting them off US soil...that's a cover up.


No it's not. DCL turned him over to the authorities in the Bahama. The grandparents opted to not press charges. What exactly did the "cover up"? You may not like the outcome but there was no cover up. If they wanted to cover it up they would not have reported it to the Bahamian athorities and the US athorities the next day. A cover up would be to simply send the guy home and not tell athorities about the incident.
__________________
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #285
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
No it's not. DCL turned him over to the authorities in the Bahama. The grandparents opted to not press charges. What exactly did the "cover up"? You may not like the outcome but there was no cover up. If they wanted to cover it up they would not have reported it to the Bahamian athorities and the US athorities the next day. A cover up would be to simply send the guy home and not tell athorities about the incident.
So a crime is committed on US soil, it's reported while the ship is on US soil...local authorities are NOT alerted to the crime. DCL knows, leaves port, and turns him over to Bahamian authorities who can do nothing because there is no warrant for him, and no crime has been committed on their soil.

And you think DCL didn't protect him and cover this up?
__________________
Moxin is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.