Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

The 14th floor is currently undergoing a rehab. The most recent info I have seen regarding an end date is fuzzy: "Late summer 2013."

I recently stayed on the 12th floor. It just had what they called a 'soft goods' rehab: new bedding, curtains, etc. The lounge also had some small changes. Maybe new carpeting, and slightly changed décor. If I had not known about it, I might not have noticed. But then.... WDW is always like that...I'm frequently thinking, "I think they made a little change here, but I can't quite say what's different."

If two of the kids are under age three- they might be able to get away with one room. Disney does not count kids under three. Most CR rooms have an extra 'couch/bed.' Two very small kids could easily sleep together (one at each end.) Closet space could be an issue. With 2 rooms, even if they are not connecting, the 12th floor is club level access only. It's fairly secure.

For us, we would MUCH rather stay club level than DVC. Every time I've priced it out, two CL rooms were less $ than one BLT/CR suite, esp with discounts. Plus, the 12th floor is highly preferable to BLT or the 14th floor. BLT rooms are less convenient. The 14th floor has no view of the lobby/atrium.

Further, we prefer 'Bay Lake View/tower Standard view" over MK view rooms at CR. The BL side gets am sun/pm shade; making the balcony much more useful.

The difference between DVC and CL is much about quality of service. With DVC, guests have to do their own cooking/cleaning/buying groceries. You are able to do it yourself, but you have to do it yourself. And that's just one example of the little 'problems' you need to solve. All take time away from the vacation. I plan my week so I don't need to do laundry. I want my time in WDW to be a vacation from domestic chores!

Club level is that solution! I know this sounds odd- but CL= extra service= extra vacation time (plus vacation insurance). And Time=money. (especially at the price point we are discussing!) CL guests rarely wait to access resort staff. Many times we've stayed non-CL. When we are non CL...well- sometimes checking in and getting questions (tickets/ADR's) answered means not just one line- but TWO. On CL, one person answers almost ALL my check-in/dining/ticket questions. I have seriously handed them some doozies!

It depends how you like to vacation. I am sure there are folks who enjoy domestic chores like laundry and cooking. We much prefer to have a beautiful buffet of breakfast food waiting for me than to prep it myself. I love that I an push a button and get a REAL latte, in a REAL coffee cup. No line. No trek to the food court. No nasty refillable mug! No dining credits. We just help ourselves to whatever snacks we desire. If the kids want more fruit, they have it.

I also LOVE that CL has so many healthy offerings. Sure, they do serve Fruit Loops and fried pastries, but they also have yogurt, skim milk, fresh carrots, oatmeal, hummus, melon, bananas, and water.

Oh, and adults get beer and wine! Guests can also request bottled water!

That said- to get the food offerings- guests do need to be in the lounge while they are offered (or stow stuff in your tiny fridge). It's not hard, but it has altered the way we tour a little.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks Mickeyluv'r

Your post was very helpful. I am not sure what type of vacation is going to be their preference, and info like this will help them make the best possible decision.

I will list these items, and also the pro items that others have listed regarding the dvc, and they can figure out what works for them.

thanks again!
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: