Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
RysMomma
Mouseketeer

Which Moderate Resort?

We are a value family and have stayed at value resorts most recently. However, we are considering a moderate resort for next summer. I haven't stayed at a moderate in years (only when those were considered the value and the All Stars and Pop didn't exist). Anyway, we're a party of 9 people. My family of four has 2 children-one boy age 6 and one girl age 4 (these are their ages at the time we go). My brother and his family will have one girl age 4 and then my parents will be joining us. Is there one moderate resort you prefer over another? Any suggestions or opinions are needed. We stayed at Caribbean Beach once and Port Orleans another time (when there was only one Port Orleans and the "Riverside" was Dixie Landings) but I was really young and don't remember much about them.

Thanks so much!

RysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
AJA
DIS Veteran

I would suggest PO French Quarter. It's a smaller resort so easy walking for the kiddo's. The pool slide is much more tame than say Caribbean Beaches so a 4 or 6 year old can easily use it by themselves and not be intimidated. Also you have the boat to Down Town Disney and you can use POR's pool or just take the boat up and have dinner there to try something new one evening.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Definitely POFQ
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Definitely POFQ
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
wdwlibrarian
Earning My Ears

I'd suggest checking out CBR. We stayed there as a party of 9 - parents, grandparents, and young children, and we loved it. The rooms are the largest of the moderates, so we had plenty of room for everyone. And the kids LOVED the pool. The 3yo loved the special kids play area with the boat and the small slides, and the 6yo loved the bigger slides in the main pool. Plus the zero-entry was great for letting the younger, less confident swimmer be in the main pool with the adults without having to hang onto them. We were lucky to get a room that was a short walk from the pool and food court (I realize a lot of people complain about the walking at CBR). The only other downside was that it's now the only moderates with double beds, but we didn't mind that.

Trips Together:
AKL, May 2009
POFQ, June 2009
BC, Feb 2010
wdwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Redcon1
Mouseketeer

wdwlibrarian-

Were you able to fit five persons in one room at CBR? I thought all moderates, except for the Alligator Bayou section of POR would only allow four plus one infant.

For the OP, you may want to check out a room at POR as the AB section has a Murphy Bed that would be a good size for one of the children and they are designed for a family or group of five.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RysMomma View Post
We are a value family and have stayed at value resorts most recently. However, we are considering a moderate resort for next summer. I haven't stayed at a moderate in years (only when those were considered the value and the All Stars and Pop didn't exist). Anyway, we're a party of 9 people. My family of four has 2 children-one boy age 6 and one girl age 4 (these are their ages at the time we go). My brother and his family will have one girl age 4 and then my parents will be joining us. Is there one moderate resort you prefer over another? Any suggestions or opinions are needed. We stayed at Caribbean Beach once and Port Orleans another time (when there was only one Port Orleans and the "Riverside" was Dixie Landings) but I was really young and don't remember much about them.

Thanks so much!
If you plan on the parents staying in your Brother's room, then you can only go with POR - AB rooms; that accommodate 5 people.

You could book preferred and link your reservations, so you could be placed in the same building and general area.

Any other mod, your parents would have to get their own room for the length of their stay.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
wdwlibrarian
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcon1 View Post
wdwlibrarian-

Were you able to fit five persons in one room at CBR? I thought all moderates, except for the Alligator Bayou section of POR would only allow
four plus one infant.

For the OP, you may want to check out a room at POR as the AB section has a Murphy Bed that would be a good size for one of the children and they are designed for a family or group of five.
We did fit in five in one room, but only because the 3yo was actually 2years-10months. He didn't sleep in the pack-n-play though. They brought us a roll-away mattress (no charge, which was nice) that fit on the floor in the bathroom, so he had his own space. With the extra space in the CBR rooms, we had plenty of room anyway. This summer we have to get three rooms though. We looked at POR and the Murphy beds, but there is no dresser and since the rooms are smaller, we just couldn't imagine it.

Trips Together:
AKL, May 2009
POFQ, June 2009
BC, Feb 2010
wdwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
alc571
DIS Veteran

We love POR! It has such a relaxed feel, and the food at the resort is really good. Our DS7 loves the pool and boat to DTD. I think the little girls in your party, and even your son, would love the Royal Rooms!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Definitely POFQ
Absolutely....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: