Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Help! I am docked at the port of indecision!

I can't make a decision on a cruise. Please give me your opinions, or something I may have overlooked that will help me make a decision. All are on the Magic except where noted. We have been on 2- 3 night cruises on the Wonder, 1- 7 night Eastern on the Magic, and DH and I were on 1- 3 night on the Dream. Kids are currently in 1st and 6 th grade. I think that is the details. Help, please.

5/18/2014. $2866. -1 night at WDW
4 nights. Dream Cat 4b
PC-Nassau-@sea-CC
School missed- 3 days

10/31/2014. $2490. -0 nights at WDW
5 night Miami-@sea-GC-Coz-@sea
School missed- 3 days

11/23/2014. $3789. -2 or 3 nights at WDW ? ??
5 night Miami-@sea-Coz-@sea-CC
School missed- 0 days./Possibly 2 if combined with WDW

11/28/2014. $2994. -4 days at WDW????
School missed-3 days

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Ha! That's a funny port!

My vote is for 5/18 for several reasons.

1) It's a lot sooner than the others!

2) It's not in the middle of Hurricane season. We did a mid april and it was great weather, perfect at the parks and perfect at the ports. Your water may be a smidge warmer which is good.

3) It's not close to the holidays, especially dump the 11/23 one! That's much more than the May one. We also were complete IDIOTS and decided to go to WDW one year the week up to T'giving. What a crappy idea! Never Never again!

4) Miami is huge and hard to get to. I would have to think very hard about cruising out of Miami. PC is a tad more, but super convenient ESPECIALLY as far as a WDW day or two is concerned. PC you can whip through real quick if your timing is right.

5) Other than the 11/23 (see above!), the 5/18 is the only one that goes to CC correct? And that is a must! And in the winter, it gets riskier to be able to dock. May should be a no brainer, I would think. CC was a major part of our trip!

6) We have only done the 3 Day Dream but we loved the Dream and think you will too!

Those are strictly my own opinions and I'm sure you'll get a bunch more possibly saying to cruise as many nights as you can and skip Nassau.

I say the sooner you go, the sooner you can plan the next one! haha!

If you are doing the 4 day, it's Sun-Thurs right? Do you have to go right back Thurs? are you driving? You would do better to drive down Sat, embark Sun and then go to the parks Thurs & Fri and possibly Sat depending on how much $ you have available for tickets? Let me put it this way:

No way jose would my parents have EVER EVER shortened a trip so we could go to school for TWO DAYS that week. It would never happen in a million years. He would tell the school, "I'm taking my kids to EPCOT, to the Living Seas, to see all the countries of the world, to learn about the Presidents and history, and they will be back on Monday." The end.

I love my dad! Real world learning was his thing! We never had any problems at school after he pointed out that they spent half a day in the auditorium reading ghost stories and that they had to pull us from school that day. (We don't do ghost stories, its a personal choice thing, and certainly not academic!) Point being you can still do a lot of education on a trip. Also if you are driving, they could bring homework with them? We used to do that too, and we always got it done!

Anyway we turned out alright! Haha. Older sis is a big successful realtor, I work in media broadcasting sales and prior to that, had my own business, and other sis lives on west coast and works for medical insurance brochures and cards development (or something) and worked at boeing before that.

That's just my opinion again. I would never go home halfway during the week? Ever? It costs so much just to get down there in the first place...

Your trip, your choice!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

We already have off one day that week in May. We would fly down Sat. No way can we add any additional schools days off. Three is our max. There is too much work to make up, plus sporting events. We have annual passes and typically go down every T-giving. We usually go down the Thursday prior to T-giving and leave on the holiday. Never had a problem with crowds. The Thurs-Sat are vy doable. That would be the days we do before the cruise on the 11/23 (if DH is willing to drive to Miami).
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

I personally wouldn't take a 7th grader out of school. Elementary school for sure but not middle and up--my 2 cents.

If you do Disney all the time, do the 5 night out of Miami! The magic will be brand new then. You have 2 sea days which are great plus cc. As pp said I wouldn't miss CC!

Just my opinion
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

I agree with the Twins, for the reasons listed, the Dream is a fabulous ship & looking at the prices you listed it's actually less expensive (except for the 10/31 option). Regarding the 10/31 option would you be driving , straight from Philly? It's over 1,000 miles, while the trip down maybe fun (pre cruise excitement) the drive back would be a killer (showed 0 days at WDW). Clearly breaking it up with WDW on both ends (other options) would help, but it sure is a lot of car time.
So, for me, I'd jump on the May cruise on the Dream.

Which ever you choose, enjoy your cruise....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Have you looked at the Dream double dip 11/13? Fly in the night before, fly out on the Sunday, and it's the same 3 weekdays.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
I agree with the Twins, for the reasons listed, the Dream is a fabulous ship & looking at the prices you listed it's actually less expensive (except for the 10/31 option). Regarding the 10/31 option would you be driving , straight from Philly? It's over 1,000 miles, while the trip down maybe fun (pre cruise excitement) the drive back would be a killer (showed 0 days at WDW). Clearly breaking it up with WDW on both ends (other options) would help, but it sure is a lot of car time.
So, for me, I'd jump on the May cruise on the Dream.

Which ever you choose, enjoy your cruise....
Only flying. If combining with WDW we would rent a car and drive from Orlando to Miami.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Have you looked at the Dream double dip 11/13? Fly in the night before, fly out on the Sunday, and it's the same 3 weekdays.
Can't fly in the night before without missing more school. Also, hoping to not miss WDW completely at T-giving. That would definitely rule that out.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
Can't fly in the night before without missing more school. Also, hoping to not miss WDW completely at T-giving. That would definitely rule that out.
Ah yes it would make flying again for Thanksgiving weird.

Would you really have to miss school to fly down the night before? I would, coming from the west coast, but it isn't *that* long a flight for you, is it? Moot point because of Thanksgiving, but it just seems curious that there aren't lots of flights that leave after 6 or so for you.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Sometimes there are later flights but not always. I like the 11/23 cruise because it offers the fewest missed days and a stop at CC. But if the water is too chilly, CC would be a mute point. I love traveling in May, but Nassau ... Done it soo many times.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
School missed-3 days
This cruise starts the day after Thanksgiving. It is on the Magic after the upgrades and everyone wants to see and experience them. 5 Nights are better than 4 (more are better).
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

We just went through this and have booked the 5 night after T-giving. I disagree with the port of Miami being difficult. I've sailed out of both, several times each and both ports have pros and cons. Sailing out of Miami is gorgeous though, in my opinion.

I've sailed the Dream 3 times and the Magic twice (along with several on Wonder, and 1 Fantasy). It's been several years for the Magic and I'm excited to see the new changes.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
missyp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
I can't make a decision on a cruise. Please give me your opinions, or something I may have overlooked that will help me make a decision. All are on the Magic except where noted. We have been on 2- 3 night cruises on the Wonder, 1- 7 night Eastern on the Magic, and DH and I were on 1- 3 night on the Dream. Kids are currently in 1st and 6 th grade. I think that is the details. Help, please.

5/18/2014. $2866. -1 night at WDW
4 nights. Dream Cat 4b
PC-Nassau-@sea-CC
School missed- 3 days

10/31/2014. $2490. -0 nights at WDW
School missed- 3 days

11/23/2014. $3789. -2 or 3 nights at WDW ? ??
5 night Miami-@sea-Coz-@sea-CC
School missed- 0 days./Possibly 2 if combined with WDW

School missed-3 days

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I do not like to take my kids out of school either, it very stressful for all of us. I vote longer cruise and least amount of days out of school.
Longer is definitely better!

DCL Wonder- 11/14
DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Depends on the kids... DSalmost16 has no issues missing 3 days (in a year) - straight As. DS12 is a different issue as they will accommodate him and it can actually be beneficial for him to have a 'break'.

You know your kids - if they can miss a few days, go for it. But don't push it.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keggy View Post
We just went through this and have booked the 5 night after T-giving. I disagree with the port of Miami being difficult. I've sailed out of both, several times each and both ports have pros and cons. Sailing out of Miami is gorgeous though, in my opinion.

I've sailed the Dream 3 times and the Magic twice (along with several on Wonder, and 1 Fantasy). It's been several years for the Magic and I'm excited to see the new changes.
Have you ever sailed at that time of year. I'm wondering about the temps (both air and water). I hate missing CC, but GC might be warmer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: