Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Nikkor 70-300 please help?

I had posted this weekend about buying a tamron 70-300mm. Everything was in order, but before I was able to purchase. A lady from my work called & said she knew I really enjoyed photography, & she had a len's that I might like. So I put off buying the tamron. She came in to work with a case, & my mouth almost hit the floor when I pulled out a Nikkor af 70-300mm g lens. She said her family bought it for her because she showed an intrest in photography. But it has never left the case, & she would sell it cheap if I wanted it. So i'm going to take it home to try out. So my question is, does this compare to the tamron? I'm at work, & haven't looked up any info on it. Is it too good to be true? The lens itself looks new,it glides easy, glass it clean. I can't wait to get home to see what you all have to say. Thanks!
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Well, I had a chance to take a closer look. Too good to be true, I believe it is intended for slr, but I think it will focus on my d7000. And it doesn't have VR vibration reduction. I think it can be bought pretty cheap. So nope, not what I was hopeing for, but she is practicaly giving it away. I thought it was the nikkor version of the tamron 70-300, but it's not.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Mel522
DIS Veteran

If it is the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor, then it will autofocus on your d7000. It will not have as good of an image as the Tamron (you were looking at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC right?). It is softer at the widest aperture towards the wider 70mm end than the Tamron. Both lenses are soft towards the longest focal length, the Nikon only slightly more than the Tamron. There is more barrel distortion at 70mm and pincushion at 200+ on the Nikon. It retails for around $130 new. If I had to choose, I would go with the Tamron.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
If it is the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor, then it will autofocus on your d7000. It will not have as good of an image as the Tamron (you were looking at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC right?). It is softer at the widest aperture towards the wider 70mm end than the Tamron. Both lenses are soft towards the longest focal length, the Nikon only slightly more than the Tamron. There is more barrel distortion at 70mm and pincushion at 200+ on the Nikon. It retails for around $130 new. If I had to choose, I would go with the Tamron.
Yes, I agree! I still have my money set aside for the Tamron, so I still plan on getting it. All I seen at first glance is that it was a Nikkor 70-300 & immediately got excited, thinking it was a AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. But no such luck. That's okay though, going with what I wanted in the first place. Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: