Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer

Caribbean vs bahamas

Which would you choose?

7 night Caribbean out of Galveston on Wonder with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth

Or

7 night Bahamian out of Galveston on Wonder with stops in Key West, Nassau, and Castaway Cay
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

I'd pick the later only due to Castaway Cay, but what time of the year is this? It will probably be warmer doing the Carribean, but that would in some cases be a downside for me.
emilyann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

It 100% depends on what you want out of this vacation.

I chose the Bahamian itinerary. I wanted a very easy, laid back vacation where I didn't have to spend gobs of money on excursions. Key West is rather easy to walk around and has plenty of things to do on the cheap. Nassau is our "stay on the ship while everyone leaves" port, and in the 5 times I've been there I've never felt I was missing anything by staying on.

I also wanted a good, solid beach day free of stress and planning. To me, that is Castaway Cay, where I could walk off the ship and quickly be at a free beach with free food, chairs, etc. My other thought is I can take a cheap Western Caribbean cruise on another line and visit those ports. I can't visit Castaway Cay. It's the more special of the experiences, IMHO.

I've been to all of the other ports, and there are some amazing beaches there too. The experience is different though. To get to a good beach in those other ports, you'll have to ride in at least a taxi or a bus, and maybe even a tender boat (Grand Cayman). You lose precious beach time and then there is the stress of getting there and back (maybe not for everyone, but I have three kids to herd), plus whatever extra cost.

Now...if you don't give a darn about sitting on a beach, then the other itinerary is possibly better for you. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, you can zip line through the tree tops (Jamaica), visit Mayan Ruins (Cozumel), and snorkel near an amazing reef (Grand Cayman). It certainly is the better itinerary for the adventurous type with money to spend on more elaborate excursions.
'84, '92-Beach Club, '97-DTD Hotel, 2005-POP, 2008-AKL/Poly, 2009-CR MK view, 2010-AKV-Kidani 2 BR, March 2012-ASMo, 2012-Bonnet Creek 4 BR Presidential, 2013-Disney Magic 4n Western, Disney Wonder 7n Bahamian, Sept 2014-11 nights, POP here we come!
Aggiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

The one with Castaway Cay, hands down.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

where's Falmouth?

Grand Cayman and Cozumel are waaaaaay better than Key West and Nassau!!!

I have been to all.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasiesabound View Post
where's Falmouth?

Grand Cayman and Cozumel are waaaaaay better than Key West and Nassau!!!

I have been to all.
Falmouth is in Jamaica.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Falmouth is in Jamaica.
Between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, North side of the island. It is the newest cruise port, basically built by RCCL to accommodate Oasis of the Seas. If I was going into that port, I'd check the port schedule and hope I wasn't in port with one of the RCCL behemoths.

ETA-It looks like the Wonder will be there all by itself this fall.
'84, '92-Beach Club, '97-DTD Hotel, 2005-POP, 2008-AKL/Poly, 2009-CR MK view, 2010-AKV-Kidani 2 BR, March 2012-ASMo, 2012-Bonnet Creek 4 BR Presidential, 2013-Disney Magic 4n Western, Disney Wonder 7n Bahamian, Sept 2014-11 nights, POP here we come!

Last edited by Aggiegrl; 05-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

We are booked on the Bahamian cruise out of Galveston. We love Key West and Castaway. Castaway with fewer guests than on Dream and Fantasy is perfect for us.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Castaway is amazing. That is #1 for me. I have also taken other cruises to Western (and loved them too) but my first DCL HAD to have Castaway, and I'm pretty sure our next one will likely too!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
irishdancemomma
Mouseketeer

I'm traveling in October with my DH and almost 2 yr old (at time of travel) DS. We are on a budget. I'm leaning toward Bahamas, but wanted opinions from those who had cruised before.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Aggiegrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
I'm traveling in October with my DH and almost 2 yr old (at time of travel) DS. We are on a budget. I'm leaning toward Bahamas, but wanted opinions from those who had cruised before.
Bahamas then, hands down. There will be no better beach for your DS than at Castaway Cay, and you don't have to spend a dime there. To get a similar beach experience in the Western port, you'll have to spend $100-150 dollars on an organized excursion or go cheaper on your own in a taxi (interesting with a young child who isn't strapped down). If you decide on the Western though, Paradise Beach in Cozumel gets my vote for young children.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiegrl View Post
Bahamas then, hands down. There will be no better beach for your DS than at Castaway Cay, and you don't have to spend a dime there. To get a similar beach experience in the Western port, you'll have to spend $100-150 dollars on an organized excursion or go cheaper on your own in a taxi (interesting with a young child who isn't strapped down). If you decide on the Western though, Paradise Beach in Cozumel gets my vote for young children.
totally agree!!!

With a young toddler, that is the way to go!

I cruised when my daughter was 14 months old and Castaway Cay was so perfect for her and my almost 4 year old son that trip! There is lots of shade, lots of fun things to do with toddlers.

We did rent a private sailboat while in Grand Cayman and it was a great trip with little ones, we didn't take them off the ship in Cozumel for the reasons of health issues (swine flu was just being discovered then) and instead got off ourselves and just ate a meal right at the port, but the Bahamas will give you the best bang for your buck as you really don't need to get off in Nassau and in Key West there are fun shops right at the docks and you can get some frozen key lime pie and then get right back on and off as much as you want to.

These are Castaway Cay photos from our 2006 cruise:

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

Last edited by Fantasiesabound; 05-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

I would do the Caribbean and I ly because I've been to the Bahamas way I many times and there's nothing much to do there

Nikisha421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I think Castaway is almost like a rite of passage. I'm always sad when new DCL cruisers can't dock there! As mentioned, you can take a cheap Carnival (been there many times) to get to the Western. I would personally love to take a 7 day out there. BUT my first taste of Disney cruising HAD to include their exclusive island, hands down. It was the favorite part of all our trips. It hit all our highlights and then some:

-Volleyball (its a beach MUST for us!)
-Food, ice cream, and drinks (obviously)
-Snorkeling (and amazing too, some of the most fish I have EVER seen and I've snorkeled all over the place from Hawaii to Virgin Islands and Bahamas and Mexico and Honduras in between.) They weren't all as bright as the exotic locations, but I have been hard pressed to see the mass quantity that I did there. And people friendly too! (only Chankanaab at Cozumel rivaled it for quantity and variety, and well Hawaii but that is another story.) Anyway for not having to take a boat out to a reef, it's stinkin' good! Bring your own mask and fin sets and you won't have to pay anything extra for it.
-Pelican Plunge Water Slide
-Adult Beach Areas and Public Beach areas
-Floaties
-Hammocks (a personal favorite)

Basically my honey and I decided that Castaway was like buying a $100 excursion. If you want a mostly guaranteed (weather permitting) great cruise, this is one of the highlights.

And there are plenty to do in the Bahamas, I've been to Nassau twice this spring alone and loved it both times. (still loving the goodies I bought every day there!)

I just think that no where else can you get on Castaway unless with a Disney cruise and I feel like that should be every cruiser's right/rite!

Have a great trip!

ps. Love the toddler napping in the lounge chair!! super cute.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: