Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Best monorail resort with 2 small children

On our way home from our first trip to Disney now. We absolutely hated our resort(POR) but DH fell in love with the monorail resorts (I think the concept of them). What would be the best one to book with 2 kids (3 and almost 2) at the time of travel? We are looking at going in January 2014. Thanks!
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

i like Poly or GF. The CR was hard to maneuver with the stroller ( you need to take a separate elevator to the platform and the space was tight.
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDmbNut View Post
i like Poly or GF. The CR was hard to maneuver with the stroller ( you need to take a separate elevator to the platform and the space was tight.
Good to know we will have a double stroller. We were at thePoly and loved the ease of boarding . Had fun at the aloha show and then hoped the monorail to MK
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

For small children, the Poly. The convenience is great. GF is nice as well, and we haven't been since the addition of the splash pad, that may make a huge difference.
But the biggest factor for me would be location in proximity to MK and TTC.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobern View Post
. We absolutely hated our resort(POR)
Why did you hate your resort??
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Heather1979
Mouseketeer

Quote:
On our way home from our first trip to Disney now. We absolutely hated our resort(POR) but DH fell in love with the monorail resorts (I think the concept of them). What would be the best one to book with 2 kids (3 and almost 2) at the time of travel? We are looking at going in January 2014. Thanks!
We just got back from a stay at Bay Lake Tower with a 3 year old and a 2 year old and had a double stroller. When we took the monorail it wasn't a huge deal to take the elevator, just remember to stay towards the "back" 3-4 cars of the monorail. I think we waited 3-4 minutes for an elevator during the "worst" time. The ability to walk to magic kingdom was a big plus for us too, where I don't think you can walk to the parks from the other monorail resorts.

Off site 1987, 1998, & 2003, Pop century 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012, Bay Lake Tower 2013
Heather1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I would suggest Poly.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Hands down the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower. There is a walkway to Magic Kingdom, so no need to wait for buses or monorails. The walk is about 10 minutes. Although we often use the monorail on the way home (CR is the first stop so it's super quick when you are tired). We had absolutely no problems with a stroller (double and single) during our 3 stays there. Yes, you need to take an elevator to the monorail instead of using the escalator, but really, no big deal.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

For us its the Poly. You have access to two different monorails - one to MK and a very short walk over to TTC and monorail to EP. There is nothing better then just rolling them on without having to wake them up!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post

Why did you hate your resort??
It was way too spread out. They changed our room (lady could never really explain it). We were way too far from everything, the food court was inconvenient to reach. Transportation to MK and Epcot was horrendous! The staff was not very friendly and when I mentioned at check out how the room was not where we were told all she said was we should have came and requested a room change. Not something I was going to attempt with 2 kids.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
For us its the Poly. You have access to two different monorails - one to MK and a very short walk over to TTC and monorail to EP. There is nothing better then just rolling them on without having to wake them up!
This was our theory. The bus rides were horrible with 2 tired kids
Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Hands down the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower. There is a walkway to Magic Kingdom, so no need to wait for buses or monorails. The walk is about 10 minutes. Although we often use the monorail on the way home (CR is the first stop so it's super quick when you are tired). We had absolutely no problems with a stroller (double and single) during our 3 stays there. Yes, you need to take an elevator to the monorail instead of using the escalator, but really, no big deal.
We used the elevator at the Poly it was tight with 4 adults, 1 double stroller and a wheel chair.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I suggest the Poly. The pool is really nice, with the beach right there for sand play, and the view of the castle from the beach is really nice. Also, it's a great place for watching the fireworks over the MK at night. The Poly is not spread out like POR even though it is made up of several buildings. And you'll have direct transportation to both the MK and Epcot.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at CR and GF in the last six months with kids ages 4,4, and 2. We preferred the CR.

The kiddie water play area was great at GF and the kids did love it. But factoring in what we (the adults) felt was most convenient and the best fit for our family, we preferred the CR. We felt that the rooms at GF were smaller and a few other comfort issues like that. But that being said, both are terrific choices.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
It was way too spread out. They changed our room (lady could never really explain it). We were way too far from everything, the food court was inconvenient to reach. Transportation to MK and Epcot was horrendous! The staff was not very friendly and when I mentioned at check out how the room was not where we were told all she said was we should have came and requested a room change. Not something I was going to attempt with 2 kids.
Given these issues with POR, perhaps CR would be a good choice for you. It is less spread out than the others and has the option of walking to MK. With the right elevator getting strollers to the Monorail isn't too bad. Besides, the CR is definitely monorail focused. Having the option of walking to the TTC is nice at Poly though, and avoids a Monorail transfer to get to Epcot. Either way enjoy your next trip.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: