Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Ground floor pros/cons

Hey, we are booked at POR royal rooms. Booked pool view cat. Not planning on any other special requests, but was thinking about requesting ground floor to avoid stairs/ elevators. Not that we have physical issues, just the time/ convienence thing.

The only thing ( maybe I am being paranoid here? ) is the creepy / crawler issues. IF any were to visit wouldn't a ground floor room have better odds of this happening??
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
balletgirl2
Earning My Ears

Remember creepy crawlers can climb and fly so floor level won't matter much. Odds are in your favor that you won't have any visitors, but remember you are in FL so sometimes it can't be helped.
balletgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Well, one time my son and I were walking past some rooms and saw a snake wiggling outside one of the doors. Another time, a frog got into our ground-level room. I stopped using online check-in because I was assigned a ground floor room each time. Snakes really don't bother me, but frogs?

Have a great trip whichever floor you choose.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We had the 2nd floor at POR. It wasn't that bad and there was an elevator. I think the first floor would be nice to just walk right out and go. But you have to watch out for little critters crawling in.

If. You are higher up you also have a better view of the growns. You have to decide what means more view or easy access out.

Me, DH, DD7, DS3

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
SkywayGuy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
Hey, we are booked at POR royal rooms. Booked pool view cat. Not planning on any other special requests, but was thinking about requesting ground floor to avoid stairs/ elevators. Not that we have physical issues, just the time/ convienence thing.

The only thing ( maybe I am being paranoid here? ) is the creepy / crawler issues. IF any were to visit wouldn't a ground floor room have better odds of this happening??
Were at POR right now. We have an upstairs corner room, and the room is the farthest corner away from everything. But the room is VERY quiet, high on our priority list. We have a lovely garden view out of our window too. It does take a bit to get used to where your room is in relation to everything, but once you do, you can find the quickest rout to everything. Even though it's not as convenient as some locations, i wouldn't say it's inconvenient. and we have less foot traffic here than other locations. A nice rest from the busy parks.
SkywayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
Well, one time my son and I were walking past some rooms and saw a snake wiggling outside one of the doors. Another time, a frog got into our ground-level room. I stopped using online check-in because I was assigned a ground floor room each time. Snakes really don't bother me, but frogs?

Have a great trip whichever floor you choose.

See! This is what I am paranoid about. I could handle a frog. My son would be excited to handle this situation. But a snake. No way!
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I have traveled twice with a car and been on the first floor of Acadian House facing the parking lot both times. It was very nice to just be able to walk right out to the car, around the corner to the pool, etc. We were lucky enough to not see any creepy crawlies at POR.

I did stay at SSR one year, and we felt with the sliding glass door, we preferred to be high up and were on the top floor. It was nice to not hear anyone above you.

I have been in a couple of "Middle" floors at POR, one facing the woods all the way at the end of the corridor, and I don't remember hearing anyone either below me or above me all week.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 05-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

We're going to POFQ end of August and I actually requested an upper floor. Kids are older so going up and down isn't a problem. My thinking is there's less foot traffic outside the room when you go up. Being on ground level, you have more chance of people walking by your room/window. Just thinking it's quieter higher up!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Just isn't an issue. I've had many ground level rooms, never had any uninvited guests in the room.
The only time I don't accept a ground level room is if I'm traveling by myself. I just feel better if I'm off the ground level. I know..it probably doesn't make any difference but I feel safer.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

we have always had a ground floor room at POR.. I never had any bad part..other than not having to walk stairs at the end of a long day!!!
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

I've had to catch and release a couple of lizards, but I think that's happened on both the first and second floors.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

no ground floor for me....to many snake stories, and even though I know they can climb, they will show up in ground floor rooms more often. I could deal with lizards, bugs, but not snakes.

Another reason, view, I like the elevated view of whatever resort I am at.

I also like top floor so no one is above me making noise. Less foot traffic too.

Exercise is good for you, so in the resorts with no elevators, a few flights of stairs is just a little extra calorie burn in my opinion! Helps burn off my daily Mickey bar and Dole Whips!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
Shell54
DIS Veteran

No ground floor for us! First of all we like having no one above us making noise and I recall a thread a few years ago about some folks who were staying in a first floor room at the Contemporary in the Garden wing. They found a large snake curled up in their closet. UGH.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Ground floor CR, August 2007 the only time we've ever had critters in our room. DD was outside, didn't close the slider all the way and we had, horrors, a duck walk in.

That I can deal with. A snake, not so much.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I stayed at CBR this past December, and we had bugs in our room. When I called down to have them take care of them, one of the first things they asked was if I was in a ground floor room. It did sound like that increased your odds of having unexpected and unwelcome guests in your room.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: