Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

I worried about it a little bit. My son's not a climber but he is a boy so who knows what he'd do. I know when I was 5yo and up there wasn't much of anything I wouldn't try no matter how stupid it seemed later. It's a wonder that any of us make it to adulthood.

In the end my fears were unfounded. We went onto the verandah, had him look over the edge, and I told him if he feel over he died . He just said ok and never did anything more than look over. Of course, key thing with the little ones is to keep a close eye. We never left the door open and he wasn't strong enough, even at 7, to really open the door.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
iadizfans
Mouseketeer

Yes.. You are completely "normal" for being afraid. As mentioned above, ships design balconies with safety in mind. The likelihood of your child getting over is pretty remote. However, if he was motivated to get above the railing for a better view and figured out a way to do that (like push an empty suitcase through the sliding door) the results could be catastrophic.

You are right to at least consider this danger.

All that said, I would still not rule out a balcony room.

If you talk to him about the danger and importance of being with an adult while on the balcony and strongly stress the message, are you confident he will respond?
iadizfans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Here is a photo I found on another thread of how high up the veranda door lock is:

Just to put things in perspective, it would take less effort for a small child to unlock, open and climb out of a standard window in your home than to climb up to the veranda door safety latch, unlock it, open the door, and manage to climb over the rail on the veranda.
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

My DD was 6 when we cruised and I was terrified shes not a climber, I stay with her always she knows the rules, she never wonders out of bed at home other then to go straight to me. Well I was so terrified she might get up in the night and wonder off I had her sleep with me and poor DH on the couch. It was the only way I could have peace of mind.
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Not sure if you are asking if it's reasonable to be so concerned, but that doesn't change the fact that you are concerned. There are definitely parents who are not so concerned, and are fine with verandah staterooms.

If it concerns you to the extent that you would not be able to have an enjoyable cruise in a verandah stateroom, there are plenty of options for staterooms without verandahs.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I never even noticed the lock towards the top of the door, as the regular latch was nearly impossible for me to work. And then the door was really heavy and required a lot of work to get it open.

My son figured out child locks, was a climber, etc etc, but I wouldn't have worried at all (if I had the firsthand knowledge of the balcony doors) about him on the ship, because no matter how strong he was "for an X year old", he's not THAT strong.
This was our experience as well. The lock is way up at the top. And the sliding door is a heave-ho. It always took me a solid 2-3 min to figure out how to open it every time!

If you are diligent about the lock at the top, I don't see anyway a lil one could get the door open. But that is a call you have to make!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Here's a picture I have from a veranda on the magic. I held the camera over the side more to take a picture of an odd reflection of the water through the plexi glass. Just so you know the bars you see are on the outside of the glass

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

We just returned from our second Disney cruise aboard the Magic with our adventurous and curios DS3 and DS4.

The lock is so high up there is no possible way they could unlock the balcony door. If you want to be out there with them, it is a great experience, and we had many snacks and a few days of breakfast out on our private verandah. I am glad we did it, and you get the added benefit of being able to quickly dry your swimwear in the ocean air. (bring clothespins to clip the clothes to the chairs).

We are booked on two more cruises, both with balconies. I believe that cautions parents would have nothing to worry about and would create some nice memories for the little ones.

beaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
aes74
visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
All railings on balconies and public decks) are lined with plexi glass so children (or adults) can't get a foothold on the railings.

Of course adult supervision should be maintained whenever a child is out on a balcony and public decks....but it would be pretty hard to just fall over....DCL has literally had tens of thousands of children in the balcony cabins over the years and none have fallen overboard.

MJ
Ok THIS is what my paranoid heart needed to hear lol!
aes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
anna08
DIS Veteran

I think the only danger comes in unattended little ones on the balcony. I think the balconies at Bay Lake Tower are so much more of an issue than on DCL. Our rule is no grownups out there, no kids out there.

I would remove the furniture if I had any concerns about a climber.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aes74 View Post
I have three children, my youngest is a 4 year old boy. He is a climber, and likes to figure out how things work. He has managed to get childproof bottles open, and how to climb up cabinets to get something he has had his eye on. He is not hyper at all, or even really disobedient, he just likes to climb and figure out how to solve problems. My husband would like a balcony room, but the idea terrifies me. I know he can figure out how to unlock doors, and I can see him climbing over the railing. I dont know if he would, but thats what I picture in my nightmares. I would rather not have a balcony.

We have never cruised with children, and never with Disney. I know this is a ridiculous question, but how do they keep kids from falling over the railing on all the parts of the ship? I am sure you are laughing at me, but I've never done this before! I'm so paranoid!
I have the same fear. We booked a Deluxe family ocean view for this very reason. I don't think my children will go near the balcony, but I am super paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

My daughters are 13 and 15 but that doesn't keep me from being paranoid either. I scare myself all the time with crazy ideas and scenarios. I don't like to stand next to railings on balconies or windows on high rise buildings. (What if the bolts holding them in break? What if an earthquake or tornado comes along?) Yes, I know, delusional. But crap does happen all the time. If I were the OP, and my son was small and apt to climb on stuff, I'd just get the oceanview until he was older.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
BDmom
Earning My Ears

I have a climber too. She's been on 4 cruises every single one of them inside or ocean view. Why tempt it. Parents who don' t have climbers don't understand their minds. I am certain a climber could figure it out. The lock looks secure.

We are scheduled on a Guarantee for November, I really hope I don't get a balcony. Probably the only person ever. Our kids are older now 10 and 12, I'm still not comfortable with a balcony. Why cause yourself stress it's your vacation.
BDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I feel the same way. I booked a balcony room back in 2007 on a Disney cruise when my kids were 3 & 4 because I wanted the family style room. I was terrified but not necessarily for my kids! The lock was high up enough that I felt safe they could not get out but I went out on that balcony ONCE and had vertigo and a panic attack. NEVER again will I get a balcony on a cruise ship. In fact, I haven't been on a cruise since because it scared me that bad and my husband won't go on a cruise WITHOUT a balcony. Hmm, this probably isn't the kind of post you wanted But seriously, you are normal in your fear. But I'll tell you that I felt very safe on the ship and the decks and felt my children were safe as well with us and in the kids clubs. The cruise itself was fabulous and everything was wonderful. If you truly are that scared, don't book the balcony. It won't be worth the worry you have

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
Presley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita View Post
I have the same fear. We booked a Deluxe family ocean view for this very reason.
Same here. My kids are grown and I'm still worried about them going over.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: