Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
aes74
visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)

Is it normal to he terrified of a balcony room?

I have three children, my youngest is a 4 year old boy. He is a climber, and likes to figure out how things work. He has managed to get childproof bottles open, and how to climb up cabinets to get something he has had his eye on. He is not hyper at all, or even really disobedient, he just likes to climb and figure out how to solve problems. My husband would like a balcony room, but the idea terrifies me. I know he can figure out how to unlock doors, and I can see him climbing over the railing. I dont know if he would, but thats what I picture in my nightmares. I would rather not have a balcony.

We have never cruised with children, and never with Disney. I know this is a ridiculous question, but how do they keep kids from falling over the railing on all the parts of the ship? I am sure you are laughing at me, but I've never done this before! I'm so paranoid!
aes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aes74 View Post
I have three children, my youngest is a 4 year old boy. He is a climber, and likes to figure out how things work. He has managed to get childproof bottles open, and how to climb up cabinets to get something he has had his eye on. He is not hyper at all, or even really disobedient, he just likes to climb and figure out how to solve problems. My husband would like a balcony room, but the idea terrifies me. I know he can figure out how to unlock doors, and I can see him climbing over the railing. I dont know if he would, but thats what I picture in my nightmares. I would rather not have a balcony.

We have never cruised with children, and never with Disney. I know this is a ridiculous question, but how do they keep kids from falling over the railing on all the parts of the ship? I am sure you are laughing at me, but I've never done this before! I'm so paranoid!
The railing are actually quite high. I'm 5'4" and the hit me above my waist. The doors in the verandah room have a lock that's quite high up and you must be able to unlock and open (the very heavy) door at the same time. A little tricky for little hands. I've read that you can ask your room host to remove the furniture from the verandah if you're worried about him climbing up on it.

There has never been a report of a child "falling" overboard. They would have to work very hard to get over that rail.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Jammy93
Earning My Ears

I think it's perfectly normal to worry for the safety of your child. You could always get an ocean view room. We had a family ocean view room on the Dream and there was a huge porthole. Didn't miss the verandah at all.
Jammy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
aes74
visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

The railing are actually quite high. I'm 5'4" and the hit me above my waist. The doors in the verandah room have a lock that's quite high up and you must be able to unlock and open (the very heavy) door at the same time. A little tricky for little hands. I've read that you can ask your room host to remove the furniture from the verandah if you're worried about him climbing up on it.

There has never been a report of a child "falling" overboard. They would have to work very hard to get over that rail.
Ok, I'm 5'4, so that gives me a good visual! Thanks for this. I just am not sure what to expect.
aes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

I think you are normal for worrying, cause we did too. we are taking our first cruise with dgd7. I always dreamed of a Disney cruise and definitely wanted a balcony. well, after all these years, finally booked an oceanview room. we were afraid too. we have requested no upgrades, hoping not to get moved to one. but I just keep thinking, tons of families on Disney cruise and I am sure they are safe.

just a thought, since we keep such a good eye on her, probably the most nervous would be while we were sleeping. what about taking a suction cup and hang a few bells on the door. that way you could hear if it were being opened?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

All railings on balconies and public decks) are lined with plexi glass so children (or adults) can't get a foothold on the railings.

Of course adult supervision should be maintained whenever a child is out on a balcony and public decks....but it would be pretty hard to just fall over....DCL has literally had tens of thousands of children in the balcony cabins over the years and none have fallen overboard.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
4butlers
DIS Veteran

The locks on the balcony door are up near the ceiling and would be very difficult for a 4 yo to reach, even if he climbed up on a chair. And honestly, they were even a little tricky for me to open! And PPs are correct, I am 5'6" and I remember the railing to be well above my waist.

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

is it probable that your son would go overboard, no. is it normal to worry about this, hell yes! that's the mother instinct.
if your dh wants a balcony and you can't talk him out of it, don't let that ruin your vacation with a lot of worry. as pp have suggested, there are lots of ways to prevent his going out alone and if he were to get out there then there are ways to help insure his curiosity stays in check.
see if you can get your dh talked into a ocean view room. the windows are HUGE and there are seating areas for everyone to enjoy the ocean swirl by. your dh can always enjoy the verandas on deck 4 or the upper decks. maybe put it to him in the form of $'s saved??
no matter what you do try to enjoy and not to let your imagination run wild.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
is it probable that your son would go overboard, no. is it normal to worry about this, hell yes! that's the mother instinct.
Well said.

OP, if it's going to worry you enough that you will struggle to relax, push for an oceanview cabin. I can see how having a balcony might appeal with 3 kids, as it gives your husband and you a place to go chat while the kids are sleeping. However, I also think that balconies are too expensive to pay extra for unless you really want one.

Good luck with your decision.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
DBBN
OKW Since 1995, 1 Master, 8 Add-Ons, 2 Resale Contracts and Counting

As other posters have mentioned the balconies are quite safe but since your child is a climber don't forget about the balcony furniture. If he decides to climb on it he may be closer to the top of the railing than you'd feel confortable with. If you believe the furniture would be a concern your room steward could remove it for you.

So far our OKW points have provided us with 8 DCL cruises totaling 37 nights on the Magic, 3 nights on the Wonder and 4 nights on the Dream as well as over 60 WDW vacations totaling more than 320 nights at OKW, BCV, SSR, BWV, VWL, AKV and VB.
DBBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I never even noticed the lock towards the top of the door, as the regular latch was nearly impossible for me to work. And then the door was really heavy and required a lot of work to get it open.

My son figured out child locks, was a climber, etc etc, but I wouldn't have worried at all (if I had the firsthand knowledge of the balcony doors) about him on the ship, because no matter how strong he was "for an X year old", he's not THAT strong.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

From a trip report....here...over at the trip report threads...I read it just now...

"So one story that is pretty funny in hind-sight is how we lost our daughter on the verandah. On three separate occasions, she crawled into one of our neighbors verandahs. The first time we panicked when we looked out at the veranda and she was gone. We found it odd to hear the neighbors rearranging their deck furniture so we peeked over and saw our little girl playing next door. She is a toddler who walks primarily but her world is only 2 feet off of the ground. She must have seen something that caught her eye and crawled right under the divider. The first two times we lured her back with a toy and then pulled her under the wall again. The third time, our neighbors were on the verandah so they were kind enough to deliver her to us out in the hallway. Again, it is pretty funny now since no-one plummeted off the side of the ship. We also had to tell our son (multiple times) to never-ever-ever stand on the furniture on the verandah."

They got to 3 OP, just don't get to 1
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 05-20-2013 at 02:46 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #13
ccsmith312
Earning My Ears

We ended up with a porthole room rather than a veranda room for this very reason. My children are rambunctious and I don't trust them out on balconies. We watch them very closely at hotels, but on the cruise, I just don't think I could relax, so porthole room it is!

Mom's Simple Guide to the Disney Magic
ccsmith312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Normal to worry? Yes! Be "terrified"? I'm going to say no. Do yourself a favor and go inside or ocean view cabin. While I don't think your kid can get out to the verandah unsupervised, why not cut down all the areas of unnecessary stress both before and during the trip? There's enough to be excited and worried about wirhout anything like kids flying off the verandah

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy93 View Post
I think it's perfectly normal to worry for the safety of your child. You could always get an ocean view room. We had a family ocean view room on the Dream and there was a huge porthole. Didn't miss the verandah at all.
We did Ocean View cabins on the Magic & the Wonder on our first 3 cruises when our DDs were younger.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: