Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
mrsmomo
DIS Veteran

CRT: worth it?

ok this is the first time i've ever posted a new thread so if i do something wrong jus let me know lol

I have made and ADR for dinner for myself dh, dd 9, and ds 2 this coming september. Im trying to decided if it is worth it to stick with this reservation as I have not eaten there in over 20 yrs!

My concerns are mostly that there is not much for little boys there, and that it is possibly dated espically since BOG has opened.....

My other concern is that we are on the dining plan and two TS per person seems pretty steep so again I ask is it worth it? Would I be better off paying OOP, just biting the bullet or skipping it all together and trying to get an ADR @ BOG.....

suggestions and experiences please!!!!!

this is what im doing right now lol
mrsmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Subbing, I'm thinking the same thing
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
VandVsmom
Earning My Ears

I have not been to BOG yet, but what makes CRT worth it to us:
DD loves to have the princesses visit the tables, get autographs and pictures
You get a photo included with the meal - we love looking at them over the years
DH has some dietary restrictions and they are very accomodating - low salt, no sauces kind of stuff. I think they even steamed him some plain broccoli

I also do not have boys, but have been there with my nephews and they always enjoyed it, especially when they got the pastic sword
VandVsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
2009CAN
Mouseketeer

I think the biggest novelty is actually being able to go inside the castle. If not for that specific draw, I do NOT think it's worth it.
I've eaten there once about 10 years ago and we are going to eat their again in the fall with my two four-year-olds and a two-year-old. My girls REALLY want to go inside the castle and eat.
If you could care less about actually going in the castle, I'd just make plans at akhurst for the princesses.
2009CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Whether its worth it or not kind of depends on why you are going. If your main focus is on food, then CRT isn't really "worth it". The food is okay; not bad, but not great. The main draws are: getting to eat in the castle and seeing the princesses. You get to take a picture with Cinderella in the lobby (it's included in the price of the meal and it'll be delivered to you during the meal). Upstairs, four princess makes the rounds (usually it's Snow White, Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), and Jasmine). The interaction seemed fine to me. Each child gets either a wand or a sword and a wishing star (adults can get them as well). I like CRT for the atmosphere and the experience. It's one of those places that I think folks should try at least once, especially if they have a princess-loving child.

BOG is a different experience. The food is good. You are either seated in the main ballroom (huge) or the West Wing (dark, can be loud during the "thunder storm") at dinner time (the rose library is only open at lunch). You can take your photo with the Beast after dinner (he's not there at lunch), but there is no photo package included with the meal. It's not your typical character meal because there are no characters walking around the dining rooms. BOG is more of a typical restaurant experience.

So, if your main focus is on food, I'd go to BOG. If your looking for an experience, then I'd go with CRT.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Being worth it is very subjective. For the food alone, it is not worth the price you pay or two table credits. You are honestly paying for the experience of dining in the castle with the Princesses. In my opinion, it's something that everyone should do at least once if they love Princesses.

You meet Cinderella downstairs before you enter the the dining room upstairs. Once you're at your table, the Princesses are announced to the entire dining room. There is a little intro about each princess and then they enter the room. They'll wave to everyone, everyone cheers, claps and waves and then start their way visiting each table. A few minutes later, the next princess comes into the dining room ect. You meet Snow White, Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, Ariel and Jasmine. Belle no longer meets at CRT. Previously if Jasmine was unwell, Rapunzel was appearing at CRT but this has not happened for a long time. I've also heard of the Fairy Godmother making an appearance here if some of the Princesses are unwell. The princesses will go for short breaks to get a drink but they're back within 5 minutes usually.

Each child gets a wand or sword, depending on their preference and a Wishing Star. Adults can get these too (they come in handy is one gets "lost" ) There is a small ceremony several times during your meal for everyone to make their wishes.

You could do to Akershus at EPCOT which has a similar Princess line up but only 1 table credit and the food is better. There you meet Belle in the foyer for your photo and inside is usually Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White and Aurora.

Note that none of the Princesses are guaranteed but usually there will be substituted with another character. These include Mulan, Alice, Mary Poppins, Jasmine.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

I love the food at CRT. In addition to that CRT will always be worth it to me because my husband proposed to me there, so we try to go back every trip. I love meeting the princesses and for me it is one of the most magical places in Disney World.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
I love the food at CRT. In addition to that CRT will always be worth it to me because my husband proposed to me there, so we try to go back every trip. I love meeting the princesses and for me it is one of the most magical places in Disney World.
That's so romantic!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Patience
DIS Veteran

We ate there many years ago (1999, I think) with our then 5 year old eldest daughter. We had breakfast and thought the food was fine but we really liked the character interaction (I remember Peter Pan being there then along with the princesses). Anyway, we are doing it again during our upcoming September trip. We are on the dining plan and will have to give up one table service meal. We plan to eat two counter service meals in the World Showcase on our Epcot day to make up for the two dining credits we are using for our meal at the castle. I am not expecting great food at CRT but I hope it's decent. However, the meal will be worth it to us even if the food stinks because my 6 year old youngest daughter is so excited by the idea of eating in Cinderella's castle. She has an appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique a few hours before our meal so she will be all dressed up to meet the princesses. Too cute!
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
We ate there many years ago (1999, I think) with our then 5 year old eldest daughter. We had breakfast and thought the food was fine but we really liked the character interaction (I remember Peter Pan being there then along with the princesses). Anyway, we are doing it again during our upcoming September trip. We are on the dining plan and will have to give up one table service meal. We plan to eat two counter service meals in the World Showcase on our Epcot day to make up for the two dining credits we are using for our meal at the castle. I am not expecting great food at CRT but I hope it's decent. However, the meal will be worth it to us even if the food stinks because my 6 year old youngest daughter is so excited by the idea of eating in Cinderella's castle. She has an appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique a few hours before our meal so she will be all dressed up to meet the princesses. Too cute!
Your DD will have an amazing time! Doing BBB makes it even more special!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Cadenza
Earning My Ears

My sister and I went for breakfast on our trip last year, and it was her treat... but if I had been paying, even just for my own plate, it would not have been worth it to me-- and this is coming from someone who just had to stop and get a picture with every face character we passed. The food was good but not worth the price, and I had already met most of the princesses that came through earlier in the trip (though I was looking forward to Ariel but the Ariel that morning... ) Fun overall, but not worth it to me.

However I think the experience is more than worth it for anyone bringing children, as the meal has more princess interaction then you might get at a meet and greet, plus the experience of being in the castle and the free photo.
Cadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
indyshelley
Earning My Ears

Nope. Not worth it. My daughter has a much better experience with the princesses and (in my opinion) a much better meal at Akershus in Norway (I know its a buffet...hard to compare to an actual meal being served to you, but we love the food in Norway!). The castle was perfectly fine and lovely just SOOO expensive. I don't regret it, just wouldn't do it again. Have FUN no matter where you go.

Ps Havent been to BOG but it looks stunning!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyshelley View Post
Nope. Not worth it. My daughter has a much better experience with the princesses at Akershus
But it's not Cinderella's castle at the Magic Kingdom!!! Just not the same.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
But it's not Cinderella's castle at the Magic Kingdom!!! Just not the same.
Right, for us that is true. We did Akershus on our 2011 trip and enjoyed it but it's not Cinderella's castle. The surroundings were just okay, nothing spectacular. The character interaction was cute though, especially the princess parade.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
tink2
DIS Veteran

If your DD loves the princesses- I say go for it! Our family thinks it's a must. We eat there every single trip. We did Norway princess breakfast one time and it was good- but DD never asked to return- but always asks if we can eat at the castle when planning a WDW trip- it's her first question.
There is just something about eating inside 'the' castle. The atmosphere is very royal and the CMs all play it up well- British accents, address you as Royal Family, etc. The food is ok- we've had very good experiences with food and ok experiences with food- never bad. But-this is one meal that isn't all about the food. It is the experience and the princesses. You meet Cinderella downstairs and get a complimentary 5x7 photo with her. The other princesses are introduced during your meal in a royal way and come to your tables. We've always had good character interaction. We travel with my whole family and the girls are all now 20, 16, and 13 (14 in 2 weeks)~ all 3 still insist on eating in the castle. Still. It is a huge part of their trip.

So- I think everyone should try it once. Some don't find it as wonderful as others. But to us- it is one of the most magical parts of our trip!

Me , Dh , DD15 ; DS13
Hilton summer 1987 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving week 1999 ~ Riverside Thanksgiving 2001 ~ AKL Thanksgiving 2003 ~ POFQ Dec. 5-11 2004 ~ POFQ Jan. 26- Feb. 2 2008 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving Week 2009~ POFQ Christmas week 2011 (Dec 25- 31) ~ POR June 2013
tink2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: