Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

1st timer.

Hi, I am just beginning to plan our first WDW vacation for next May. I know it is early, but this is all new to us. I understand ADRs should be made 180 days in advance, or is it 160? We are also interested in the Dining Plan, and I am aware there are different plans, just do not know which we will do yet. Most of our meals will be counter service, with up to 1 exception each day.

Anyhow, I would like to make sit down arrangement for about once per day. There are so many options, I feel so lost. We will be dedicating at least 1 full day to each park, with some parks, such as EPCOT getting a 2nd, or a partial.

I would also like to do 2 character meals, possibly 3. I have all boys, so we can skip all the princess stuff (even though I would love to eat in the castle myself). Be Our Guest is not character, correct? I would like to eat there, for sure.

I am thinking for our day of arrival, Chef Mickey's for dinner, and day of depature, Ohana's for breakfast.

Is there any dining locations, within the park, that are not to miss? For those of you who also visit DLR, some of my kids favorite CS options are Refreshment Corner and Golden Horseshoe. Anything similar, food wise?

Thank you for your help.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

180 days for reservations.

If you want one TS per day and the rest counter service, the regular (1 TS, 1 QS, 1 snack per night) dining plan sounds like it is the one for you.

Quote:
Be Our Guest is not character, correct?
No it's not, although you can get a photo with the Beast after dinner. He doesn't visit tables or sign autographs. If you can't get in for dinner you can have CS lunch there (no Beast at lunch).
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

My recommendation for a first trip would be OOP. The Dining Plan ties you down which is more difficult on a first trip where, IMHO, you should be more flexible and go with your moods. Pick a few TS restaurants that appeal to you and make some reservations and then play the rest as it goes.
Disneyland 2014
B-Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ride View Post
My recommendation for a first trip would be OOP. The Dining Plan ties you down which is more difficult on a first trip where, IMHO, you should be more flexible and go with your moods. Pick a few TS restaurants that appeal to you and make some reservations and then play the rest as it goes.
I am thinking I am only going to pick TS, 1 for each park, with some having a back up. I am pretty certain I want to do Chef Mickeys for dinner day of arrival, and Ohana's for breakfast the day we leave.

EPCOT is going to be tough, although I think the kids would love Coral Reef. I think they would like the themeing at Sci-Fi in DHS, too.

Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you would like the regular dining plan . We have used it many times and felt that we got our monies worth . We love crystal palace breakfast in magic kingdom . It is a character meal and we love to go before the park opens , this way we get wonderful pics in front of the castle with hardly any people!! We also enjoy the mama melrose fantasmic VIP package . A few of our other favorites are ohanas and whispering canyon - but these are located in resorts . A few of our favorite counter service restraunts are Wolfgang pucks, earl of sandwich and Casey's !
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558 View Post
Sounds like you would like the regular dining plan . We have used it many times and felt that we got our monies worth . We love crystal palace breakfast in magic kingdom . It is a character meal and we love to go before the park opens , this way we get wonderful pics in front of the castle with hardly any people!! We also enjoy the mama melrose fantasmic VIP package . A few of our other favorites are ohanas and whispering canyon - but these are located in resorts . A few of our favorite counter service restraunts are Wolfgang pucks, earl of sandwich and Casey's !
Oops!! I should add, more than likely, we won't be doing much dining in DTD.

Other than character meals, are there many options for breakfast within the parks? Most I am finding thus far is just for pastries, etc. I wake up everyday starving, a danish won't hold me over!! Lol

Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
mjpisani21
Earning My Ears

Welcome! As others have said it sounds like the regular disney dining plan would work best for you. You will get 1 sit down meal per day 1 counter service per day and 1 snack per day. If you don't use them on a particular day they do roll over until the end of your stay. Sometimes we skip a table service one day so that we can go to a nicer restaurant or dinner show a different day that requires two credits a person.

I would like to make the suggestion that as your 180 day mark approaches ( or 180+10) if you're staying on disney property, you may want to make a basic plan of which parks you're going to each day so you can narrow down your daily dining preferences. We tend to make a plan of which park we will visit each day, then we look at the restaurants at that particular park and narrow down our choices, if we prefer to eat at a resort then we try to plan to go to the park closest to that resort. It has helped us maximize our time in the parks and minimize our time going from point at to point b.

If you need help deciding which park to go to on a particular day let me know. I love making itineraries haha!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
shell8558
DIS Veteran

The only other place we have had breakfast is at the resort ! But it was good, mickey waffles , eggs , French toast , etc...
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpisani21 View Post
Welcome! As others have said it sounds like the regular disney dining plan would work best for you. You will get 1 sit down meal per day 1 counter service per day and 1 snack per day. If you don't use them on a particular day they do roll over until the end of your stay. Sometimes we skip a table service one day so that we can go to a nicer restaurant or dinner show a different day that requires two credits a person.
Excellent idea!! Which restuarants require 2 credits?

Quote:
I would like to make the suggestion that as your 180 day mark approaches ( or 180+10) if you're staying on disney property, you may want to make a basic plan of which parks you're going to each day so you can narrow down your daily dining preferences. We tend to make a plan of which park we will visit each day, then we look at the restaurants at that particular park and narrow down our choices, if we prefer to eat at a resort then we try to plan to go to the park closest to that resort. It has helped us maximize our time in the parks and minimize our time going from point at to point b.
We are staying on property, had no idea I got an extra 10 days!! We are actually highly considering a split stay between AoA and POR.

I am actually breaking it all down my park right now. Making a list for lunches and dinners, not finding much in regards to breakfasts. Looks like we will be getting breakfast in our resort each morning.

Quote:
If you need help deciding which park to go to on a particular day let me know. I love making itineraries haha!!!
I don't have exact dates yet, but it is looking like we will leave SF on a Thursday, returning Saturday of the following week. This will be in May 2014. We will dedicate 1 full day to each park, and 1 full day to IoA. I know my kids will want to visit a water park, so we can do that evening in a park. I know DBF & I will be exhausted, so I know we would all appreciate a little R&R day at the resort pools, again, with an evening in the parks. If I did my math right, that still leaves 1 full day.

Question, not regarding restaurants though. If I was to purchase tickets with the water park & more option, does that mean we can visit a water park, then a theme park on the same day, and have it only count as 1 day use?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Other than character meals, are there many options for breakfast within the parks?
Sorry, no. There are no non-character TS breakfasts inside the parks. There are some limited CS choices in each park.

Check the Dining Plan board for a sticky thread that has a link to the DDP brochure, which lists all restaurants included in the plan and their categories.

Quote:
We are actually highly considering a split stay between AoA and POR.
Remember that dining plans can be difficult for split stays, as you are considered to have 2 separate room reservations. If you make both those reservations a package for the purpose of adding a dining plan to both reservations, then you end up buying tickets twice because you're required to buy at least a 1 day park ticket with each package (2 days for free dining, which probably won't be an option in May). I take it you don't have annual passes.

I see you also have plans to go to Universal; you wouldn't be using dining credits on that day most likely.

You also need to remember that dining credits are assigned per night, not per day. Assuming you do not do a split stay and you stay 7 nights, on the regular plan you would receive 7 TS, 7 QS and 7 snacks per person, even if you will be visiting WDW for more or less than 7 days.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 05-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
dizneekrazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Sorry, no. There are no non-character TS breakfasts inside the parks. There are some limited CS choices in each park.
That's ok, we can have breakfast at the resort before we head out, if needed.

Quote:
Check the Dining Plan board for a sticky thread that has a link to the DDP brochure, which lists all restaurants included in the plan and their categories.
I found it on the WDW website

Quote:
Remember that dining plans can be difficult for split stays, as you are considered to have 2 separate room reservations. If you make both those reservations a package for the purpose of adding a dining plan to both reservations, then you end up buying tickets twice because you're required to buy at least a 1 day park ticket with each package (2 days for free dining, which probably won't be an option in May). I take it you don't have annual passes.
This changes a lot. I will have to consider this. No, we do not have APs.

Quote:
I see you also have plans to go to Universal; you wouldn't be using dining credits on that day most likely.
Likely, we would have breakfast before leaving, and possibly a snack/dessert after returning, depending on the time.

Quote:
You also need to remember that dining credits are assigned per night, not per day. Assuming you do not do a split stay and you stay 7 nights, on the regular plan you would receive 7 TS, 7 QS and 7 snacks per person, even if you will be visiting WDW for more or less than 7 days.
It would be 9 nights, with 8 full days (1 at Universal), so I think we should be ok.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
mjpisani21
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post

Excellent idea!! Which restuarants require 2 credits?

We are staying on property, had no idea I got an extra 10 days!! We are actually highly considering a split stay between AoA and POR.

I am actually breaking it all down my park right now. Making a list for lunches and dinners, not finding much in regards to breakfasts. Looks like we will be getting breakfast in our resort each morning.

I don't have exact dates yet, but it is looking like we will leave SF on a Thursday, returning Saturday of the following week. This will be in May 2014. We will dedicate 1 full day to each park, and 1 full day to IoA. I know my kids will want to visit a water park, so we can do that evening in a park. I know DBF & I will be exhausted, so I know we would all appreciate a little R&R day at the resort pools, again, with an evening in the parks. If I did my math right, that still leaves 1 full day.

Question, not regarding restaurants though. If I was to purchase tickets with the water park & more option, does that mean we can visit a water park, then a theme park on the same day, and have it only count as 1 day use?
1. For restaurants that require 2 credits- any signature restaurant will be two credits, Cinderella's table, hoop dee do musical review, the luau at thee Polynesian, and a few others. When you look at the restaurant lists on the disney dining plan info sheet it will specify if it is a signature restaurant or a 2 credit meal.

2. A split stay sounds fun but its not recommended if you are thinking of doing the dining plan. Here's why. When you do a split stay you basically have two sep reservations. So for reservation one you'd have room, tickets, and dining plan. For $ saving sake you'd buy the park tickets for length of entire stay during reservation 1. You can add dining plan only to a reservation that has ticket attached. So the problem lies in stay part 2 when technically all you'd really want to book is the room since you'd have your tickets already. And since you aren't doing tickets to reservation 2 you can't add dining plan. Some people get around this by adding a 1 day ticket to stay 2 but that's a waste of money since you won't technically need it. Some people also forego the dining plan for the second part of the trip but again that can be tricky.

3. Breakfast are pretty difficult to come by as far as table services in the parks. Your best bet is to grab something small at the resort or visit a bakery for a pastry.

4. As for the water parks, yes I am pretty sure you can visit a park and a water park in 1 day without needing hopper. So you could do magic kingdom in morning and water park in afternoon and its 1 day of use on ticket.

It sounds like a great time to visit and the extra rest day will be well used I'm sure!! I'd look at may 2013 park schedules and park recommendations to help you plan which park per day. I like easywdw.com they tell you what park per day is best. I hope that helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
dizneekrazee

Quote:
1. For restaurants that require 2 credits- any signature restaurant will be two credits, Cinderella's table, hoop dee do musical review, the luau at thee Polynesian, and a few others. When you look at the restaurant lists on the disney dining plan info sheet it will specify if it is a signature restaurant or a 2 credit meal.

2. A split stay sounds fun but its not recommended if you are thinking of doing the dining plan. Here's why. When you do a split stay you basically have two sep reservations. So for reservation one you'd have room, tickets, and dining plan. For $ saving sake you'd buy the park tickets for length of entire stay during reservation 1. You can add dining plan only to a reservation that has ticket attached. So the problem lies in stay part 2 when technically all you'd really want to book is the room since you'd have your tickets already. And since you aren't doing tickets to reservation 2 you can't add dining plan. Some people get around this by adding a 1 day ticket to stay 2 but that's a waste of money since you won't technically need it. Some people also forego the dining plan for the second part of the trip but again that can be tricky.

3. Breakfast are pretty difficult to come by as far as table services in the parks. Your best bet is to grab something small at the resort or visit a bakery for a pastry.

4. As for the water parks, yes I am pretty sure you can visit a park and a water park in 1 day without needing hopper. So you could do magic kingdom in morning and water park in afternoon and its 1 day of use on ticket.

It sounds like a great time to visit and the extra rest day will be well used I'm sure!! I'd look at may 2013 park schedules and park recommendations to help you plan which park per day. I like easywdw.com they tell you what park per day is best. I hope that helps.
Thank you!! I will check out that website. I looked at the DDP info sheet, none of the 2 credit restaurants are on our list, as of yet, anyway.

What time can you make reservations? Is it better to do online, or over the phone?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
mjpisani21
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post

Thank you!! I will check out that website. I looked at the DDP info sheet, none of the 2 credit restaurants are on our list, as of yet, anyway.

What time can you make reservations? Is it better to do online, or over the phone?
Since you'll be staying on property you can do the (180+10) you can make the reservations beginning at 6am est online or 7am est on the phone. I always do the online reservations. Just sign in and make the reservations. Some people swear by the old site disney world.go.com/en_gb but I've not tried it yet. We are going in December so I can't make my reservations until June 4th. I plan on getting up early 5:30am to try and get be our guest reservation. Most other places are not that difficult to get reservations for.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
G719
Mouseketeer

The waterpark tickets are separate from your theme park tickets. Theme park tickets cover magic kingdom, animal kingdom, Epcot, and studios. If you get the waterpark and more package, you get a number of visits equal to your number of nights. You can visit blizzard beach, typhoon lagoon, or disney quest using one of your tickets from waterpark and more. You can even visit both water parks in one day but it will take 2 of your allotted tickets for WP&more. If you visit a theme park the same day, you would use one theme park ticket and one WP&more pass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: