Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
jessc79
Mouseketeer

I just can't make it work!

I want the dining plan to work for us. I like not having to think about how much things cost on vacation. But I just can't justify it!! The difference completely calculated out is about $150 more for the regular plan. I know people do make it work so what am I missing? We have ADRs at Boma, O'hana, Crystal Palace, Tusker House and Sci Fi. I have 4 total adults. Even with the most expensive QS items its not working! Ugh!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You don't have kids under 10. That's who it works best for in a situation like the one you have described.

You would need to decide if the convenience you believe to exist from having a dining plan is worth the cost difference.

Every TS you picked is either a buffet or family style except Sci Fi, which is one of the least expensive a la carte restaurants. So you don't have the option of ordering expensive entrees or desserts at a la carte restaurants to maximize the plan value.
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You don't have kids under 10. That's who it works best for in a situation like the one you have described.

You would need to decide if the convenience you believe to exist from having a dining plan is worth the cost difference.

Every TS you picked is either a buffet or family style except Sci Fi, which is one of the least expensive a la carte restaurants. So you don't have the option of ordering expensive entrees or desserts at a la carte restaurants to maximize the plan value.
Ok thanks! I'm leaning towards no. I'll just try not to focus on the cost and since there's no specific menu at most I won't have to think about it!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
I know people do make it work so what am I missing?
There are plenty of people who say it works. And for some of them it does. But when you add it up, unless you work to maximize the plan and then follow it, it's not necessarily a winner. Works better with kids and with buffet/character meals (but not necessarily 2 credit signature meals).
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I want the dining plan to work for us. I like not having to think about how much things cost on vacation. But I just can't justify it!! The difference completely calculated out is about $150 more for the regular plan. I know people do make it work so what am I missing? We have ADRs at Boma, O'hana, Crystal Palace, Tusker House and Sci Fi. I have 4 total adults. Even with the most expensive QS items its not working! Ugh!
We went through the same thing. Additionally, it was just too much food for us and not the food we really wanted as we prefer to eat several appetizers instead of entrees. So to make it work for us, we get the pricing for DDP, put it on a Disney card and use it like the DDP. That way we aren't thinking about the costs. This ends up covering all our meals, snacks, tips and drinks, and we have money left over to spend in the shops before we leave!

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post

We went through the same thing. Additionally, it was just too much food for us and not the food we really wanted as we prefer to eat several appetizers instead of entrees. So to make it work for us, we get the pricing for DDP, put it on a Disney card and use it like the DDP. That way we aren't thinking about the costs. This ends up covering all our meals, snacks, tips and drinks, and we have money left over to spend in the shops before we leave!
This is what my family are doing. We're 'pre-paying' our meals by buying Disney Gift Cards.
I originally really wanted the DDP as I like ordering things without thinking about the cost of each menu item (it's part of the reason I love cruises), but whatever way I crunched the numbers, it just didn't present good value for the places we want to eat or the type of food we'll order. Also, I want the luxury of being able to buy an entree at a restaurant and then a dessert/snack later at one of the park bakeries, ice cream stores, or F&W booths.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Ooooh thanks for the gift card idea. I didn't know you could use it for tips-even better!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
M&M mom
Mouseketeer

The gift card is a wonderful idea! I also love having things paid upfront, makes it much easier.
2009 - Caribbean Beach & First Disney Cruise
2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Pop Century Resort, Western Caribbean Cruise & Coronado Springs Resort

M&M mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok thanks! I'm leaning towards no. I'll just try not to focus on the cost and since there's no specific menu at most I won't have to think about it!
Also, you'd have to make sure to use the DP for dinner buffets, the breakfast buffets and lunch buffets are cheaper.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

The only reason the DDP works for us is because we have kids (3 and 5). If we didn't have kids we wouldn't get the plan.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
dadofgoofy
Mouseketeer

For us, it's more than money

For DW and I, we make it work by eating at TS restaurants that are not buffets, and eat pricier items. However, for us the biggest reason we choose the dining plan is that we know our meals are paid for in advance. I do not want to feel like I need to order the cheapest thing on the menu since I'm paying OOP, which I would to avoid feeling guilty or like I was spending money on food that I could be spending on souveneirs. That's the true benefit for us.
dadofgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

dadofgoofy: You're missing the point. Even if you ordered the SAME things OOP, many times it's still cheaper. No need to deny yourself.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
delgrec
Mouseketeer

I love the GC idea!!! The dining plan didn't work for us because we are not dessert eaters and hated trying to figure out what we can and can't get. The whole thing felt more like a job to us. But the GC thing would really be a smart thing for us.
delgrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Like another person said, it really only works in your favor if you have kids under 10 and then have ADR at the restaurants you mentioned. The cost of the DDP for kids is about $18 a day and the cost of Kids TS meal at Ohana for example is $18..... So that is how it is favorable for families with kids....the other meal and snack is free that day technically.
It does work for us as we have 2 kids under 10 but it won't be a money savor next year when DD turns 10. Plus, we always buy the resort mugs @$13-$14 each and it comes with the DDP now.
I priced it out this trip coming up and we will save about $200 buying the DDP....although, I REALLY wish it was FREE for our trip...missing it by 10 days.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Well, and I think I'm going to be spending way more OOP on my next trip . I had a FD BB package booked for this coming August (4 Disney adults) and made all my ADR's (all but two are dinners). Yesterday, I switched to an awesome agency exclusive deal that was saving us more than the FD BB. I figured I would just put what the DP was originally costing us ($1557 for 7 nts) onto a GC and I'd be fine. Well, last night, I decided to look at all the menus of our TS ADR's and price out what I know we would be ordering. Combined that number with a rough number that I know we normally pay for lunches and I'm already at the 1557 figure and I still need to tally up breakfast/snack items There goes my savings....

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: