Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

My assessment of DDP

We usually have traveled with the DDP. At first it was because we like it and it was a decent deal way back when. Then it was because that was the best available discount when we were traveling. This year we went during May so no "free DDP" offer and I had to decide whether to purchase it or not. Ok, so really I didn't think hard about it at all...I knew we didn't want it. Now that they keep deleting things and raising the cost on top of our DD now being an "adult" and both boys are over age 3 it didn't seem worthwhile. So I kept track of our 10 day trip (just back yesterday) and compared what we spent. We ate how and when we wanted. Changed ADRs when we wanted, ordered what we wanted, snacked when we wanted, etc. We didn't skip ordering something b/c it happened to be a more expensive item, etc. The results are:

Out of pocket meals, family of 5, 10 days $1219 plus tips.
DDP for 9 nights would have cost $1809.81 plus tax and tips.

Overall savings of $610 plus a lot of additional tip money!

We only did a handful of TS meals, some with the kids and some not. I cancelled a few ADRs the second half of the trip b/c we were just not very hungry and/or did not feel like traveling to them and spending the time to sit and eat.

I did not include in my OOP total a handful of 20oz beverages that were purchased separately throughout the week. The reasoning is that b/c if we were on the DDP we would not have wasted a snack credit on those and would have still paid for them OOP. Those totaled maybe $20.

So overall I am super happy we didn't do the plan. The only good thing that I see about it is that DH doesn't blink when we spend "credits" from the plan. However, he hates getting the bill when we pay OOP. All psychological.

We did a LOT of snacking on yummy items and many CS meals. For TS meals we did:
CMC breakfast
Ohana dinner
TH breakfast
ESPN
RnC (adults only)
VN (us and DD13)
BnC

Just wanted to share for those comparing options.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! We're doing our first trip without DDP so I like to read posts like yours.

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

You did what most people don't do: run the numbers. Good on ya, mate!
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
mom_of_2
Mouseketeer

We are also doing our first trip without the DDP. To be honest I am very nervous. I was happy to hear your story. The main thing that makes me nervous is we are doing 3 character buffets since my kids are 5 and 3 so I hope we still save.

Me, DH, DS (6), DD (4)
June 2011 OKWJuly 2012 Hilton Head Island Resort August 2013 BC CL November 2014 WL
mom_of_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Tormania
Mouseketeer

We go in Dec and plan to make our ADRs in a few weeks. I am in the process of running the numbers, doing a general idea of what we would order at particular TS and CS restaurants, including tax, snack credits, the whole thing for 7 nights for 2 adults and 1 child. Hopefully it will give us a pretty close estimate of what OOP costs would be for the equivalent of the DDP. Then we can decide this fall do we add the DDP to our DVC Rental or just go OOP. My fear is it will be so close that I'll be constantly torn that I should have picked the other option.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
My fear is it will be so close that I'll be constantly torn that I should have picked the other option.
If it's that close, then just do OOP. If your plans get messed up in the slightest, it will most likely make things worse for the dining plan. Besides, think about the freedom of dining whatever you want whenever you want without having to worry about points.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post

If it's that close, then just do OOP. If your plans get messed up in the slightest, it will most likely make things worse for the dining plan. Besides, think about the freedom of dining whatever you want whenever you want without having to worry about points.
Agree! You may decide mid trip like us that you are sick of ADRs and dump some. If you have ddp, that won't be a very economical option. If you are oop, it would be. Also, it is nice to order whatever u want. I may want an app, salad, and dessert...can't do that on the plan...must be entree. Also, we never really ordered dessert at TS meals thus didn't have to tip on that amount like on ddp. 5 desserts can easily be $20, therefore $4 tip times many TS meals.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Howgreat
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info! We plan on going in December are hoping for FD, but if not, we're trying to decide whether to do the DDP or not. I've been running the numbers and it seems to come out very close for us...

1995-All-Star Music
2001-All-Star Sports
2008-(offsite)
2011-All-Star Movies
Dec. 2012-All-Star Music
Sept. 2013-All-Star Music
Coming soon: Sept. 2014-All-Star Music

Check out my PTR: "And Your Wish Will Come True...a September 2014 PTR"
Howgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
donnajherren
Mouseketeer

We did the Deluxe plan on our last trip, and it ended up just being too much for us. This time, we're paying OOP. It'll be interesting to see how the math plays out.

I would consider the Deluxe plan again, but only if we did a bunch of character buffets for breakfast (my daughters love those) and mainly signature dining for dinner. Three sit-down meals a day doesn't work for us.

June 1997 - AllStar Sports | February 2011 - Beach Club | June 2013 - Beach Club | June 2014 - Beach Club

donnajherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
freckles04
DIS Veteran

After running my numbers I came to the conclusion we will save $110 dollars OOP. That is with buying the mugs, ordering most expensive items even at CS and always getting soda and dessert, plus tax. That being said, we dont need dessert all the time, may or may not order expensive items and drink water with our meals much of the time. So I expect our true savings to be more.

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the run down. I'm sure those deciding between getting it and not getting it will find it helpful. We've done DDP 9 times now and only paid for it the first time (when tip and appetizer were included!).

I love having a DDP but I will only get it when it's free. (and yes I know it's not totally "free" but even paying rack rate for 3 and getting 2 day base tix-to use later-it's still a good deal for us). I won't ever pay for it again. And now having had the QSDP 3 times I love the freedom of not having to make any ADRs (6 months out). Very freeing!
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

We're going with no DDP in August...Our first August with no Free DDP and our first trip without Free DDP in many years. Honestly - I'm excited about it. DDP tends to be a bit much for us. I went ahead and made the reservations that we wanted. I anticipate spending somewhere around $850 on food (TS and CS) but that includes the tips I am planning. If I was to pay for DDP it would cost $919.65. I hope to have enough rewards points to pay for all our food - And will probably have at least $750.

I will admit that IF we had the free DDP I would have done Narcossee's, but just couldn't see spending that much actual cash on one meal.

I see us getting a few appetizers and splitting some meals - and splitting some desserts too. Because it is too much otherwise.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
rachallyy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_2 View Post
We are also doing our first trip without the DDP. To be honest I am very nervous. I was happy to hear your story. The main thing that makes me nervous is we are doing 3 character buffets since my kids are 5 and 3 so I hope we still save.
We are leaving tomorrow and no DDP for us, Ate 2 character meals , lunch Akers. 155.00, and breakfast at Tusker 119.00, with tips. HTHs you.

I ran our numbers tonight, looks like we are coming out a bit ahead paying OOP. We ate no desserts other than daily ice cream bar in parks. We had two other TS meals one at MK and one at DTD. I cancelled our 5th TS as we were tired of watching the clock and wanted more freedom out last day.

Except for one dinner meal we ate those at AOA Landscapes and had the refillable mugs.
rachallyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
rachallyy
Earning My Ears

We are also a family of 4, DH, myself and DS 6, and DS 8, who is such a picky eater
rachallyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: