DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #31
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Honestly, many of you say this a lot in this section of the forum. If you find yourself typing & reading this over and over, perhaps you should consider the fact you might actually be insulting people?
I haven't read anything on this thread that I thought was insulting, much less intentionally insulting.

What I have seen -- on this thread, and others on various topics -- is the posting of an idea expecting universal acceptance and acclaim...and being "insulted" when that is not the response.

Welcome to the DIS...and be glad you're not on TUG!
Quote:
My point was really simple.
And therein lies some of the problem...
Quote:
Without direct, DVC has no future resorts
Okay...?
Quote:
...and everyone suffers.
Naw. Disney suffers. If the timeshare is good (and it is), the owners don't suffer at all.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Given the amount of energy spent on this board telling people to buy resale, I thought I would point out an obvious fact for those that have purchased direct or might purchase direct in the future. This is not a slap against our resale pushing friends, it is just a more balanced post for others that browse here.

Your purchase is what makes DVC work and is the fuel that will make DVC better in the future.

Everyone benefits when Disney opens new resorts. For instance, many on this board are almost giddy about the idea of a DVC location at Poly. Of course, none of this can happen without people buying direct.

So, if you can afford it, you did the right thing by buying direct if you want to be part of making DVC a more vibrant system in the future. In fact, all the people on this board that might question your decision are actually directly benefiting from your decision. Without you, DVC would die and no new locations would happen.

So, thank you. Honestly, I hope Disney comes up with new ways to make that decision even better. As the spread between resale and direct has widened, the need for more benefits for buying direct appear needed IMO. I hope Disney responds.

It makes me angry to hear that people "feel bad" for buying direct after reading posts on these boards. Frankly, because of you, these boards even exist. Never apologize for making DVC better for everyone.
A point I've made many times including very recently. Direct purchases are the life blood of any system. It essentially comes down to the benefit of the individual vs the benefit of the system and rest of the members. I cannot with good conscious throw a given potential member under the bus for the benefit of the rest including myself.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Honestly, many of you say this a lot in this section of the forum. If you find yourself typing & reading this over and over, perhaps you should consider the fact you might actually be insulting people? The very people making DVC better for everyone. I just find it sad.
I type that same thing over and over because the same questions are asked over and over several time per week.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Honestly, many of you say this a lot in this section of the forum. If you find yourself typing & reading this over and over, perhaps you should consider the fact you might actually be insulting people? The very people making DVC better for everyone. I just find it sad.
One has to CHOOSE to be offended. Questions and thread's come along where it's applicable, no more or less. I've been here for some 15 years, the answers have changed over the time as the situations and information have changed. If you choose to be offended because the answer doesn't fit your choice, that's on you. You have the choice to make such a decision, however, the fact that you made the choice does not make it the best choice, it may or may not be. It's no different than if someone says a given car is junk and you just bought the car. Should they not say anything if someone is asking about that car and considering buying it, I say they should post their honest opinion if applicable.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 182

I must admit, this did catch me off guard. Several DVC members have now posted they prefer not to see new resorts be built (some only certain types of new resorts - others any type of new resort). It is an interesting perspective.

There is another group that appears to be very excited about Poly, Fort Wilderness, VGF, etc. However, that is just another view I guess.

For those that prefer DVC dies on the vine and no longer grows, again, my apologies for buying direct and causing DVC further success.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #36
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43
Given the amount of energy spent on this board telling people to buy resale, I thought I would point out an obvious fact for those that have purchased direct or might purchase direct in the future. This is not a slap against our resale pushing friends, it is just a more balanced post for others that browse here.

Your purchase is what makes DVC work and is the fuel that will make DVC better in the future.

Everyone benefits when Disney opens new resorts. For instance, many on this board are almost giddy about the idea of a DVC location at Poly. Of course, none of this can happen without people buying direct.

So, if you can afford it, you did the right thing by buying direct if you want to be part of making DVC a more vibrant system in the future. In fact, all the people on this board that might question your decision are actually directly benefiting from your decision. Without you, DVC would die and no new locations would happen.

So, thank you. Honestly, I hope Disney comes up with new ways to make that decision even better. As the spread between resale and direct has widened, the need for more benefits for buying direct appear needed IMO. I hope Disney responds.

It makes me angry to hear that people "feel bad" for buying direct after reading posts on these boards. Frankly, because of you, these boards even exist. Never apologize for making DVC better for everyone.
Wow.. That just doesn't make any sense.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,437

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
There is another group that appears to be very excited about Poly, Fort Wilderness, VGF, etc. However, that is just another view I guess.
I'm excited about VGF...and if someone wanted to stay there, I'd tell them to buy OKW or SSR resale and do so.

IF DVD builds Poly or Fort Wilderness, I'll be equally excited about those additions too. (I've heard DVC rumors before.) And my OKW/SSR resale strategy will remain the same.

Quote:
For those that prefer DVC dies on the vine and no longer grows, again, my apologies for buying direct and causing DVC further success.
As Messrs. Barltles and Jaymes used to say, "We thank you for your support!"
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
I must admit, this did catch me off guard. Several DVC members have now posted they prefer not to see new resorts be built (some only certain types of new resorts - others any type of new resort). It is an interesting perspective.

There is another group that appears to be very excited about Poly, Fort Wilderness, VGF, etc. However, that is just another view I guess.

For those that prefer DVC dies on the vine and no longer grows, again, my apologies for buying direct and causing DVC further success.
Again, you're taking a very simplistic view of "good" vs. "bad" when it comes to DVC. Like PPs have said, it wasn't DVC's growth that is the problem, it's how it chose to grow. Disney got greedy and wanted to sell as many points as possible, so they built two very big resorts (AKV and SSR) that are fairly remote in terms of proximity to parks. Some salespeople even convinced SSR buyers to buy there and never intend to stay there.

The bottom line is the resorts with non-bus access to the parks (BCV, BWV, BLT, VWL) are all fairly small resorts and those resorts and remain where many members want to stay. But if you keep adding members at the larger resorts in slightly less-desirable locations, there's more competition for the more-desirable resorts. Of course all resorts have their fans and there are a fair number of people who would rather stay at OKW/SSR/AKV over BLT/BCV/BWV/VWL.

The new wrinkle will be the new VGF villas and the theoretical Poly DVC that might be on the way. Even if the DVC buildings at those resorts aren't very big, it would still add to the number of villas in the more-desirable location. So perhaps growth such as that will be helpful to existing members.

But it's very hard to say Scenario A is good for DVC and Scenario B is bad, which is what you appear to want to do OP.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #39
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
One has to CHOOSE to be offended. Questions and thread's come along where it's applicable, no more or less. I've been here for some 15 years, the answers have changed over the time as the situations and information have changed. If you choose to be offended because the answer doesn't fit your choice, that's on you. You have the choice to make such a decision, however, the fact that you made the choice does not make it the best choice, it may or may not be.
Actually, sometimes people are just offensive. You cannot always place that on the other person. It is not a crime or anything. I have been accused of being offensive on this very thread (and I was, because I misunderstood someone's post). It happens. I do not think it is mean spirited and almost every time it was un-intended from what I have read. That does not mean it was not offensive.

When people ask for advice, I think this board is great. However, sometimes I see people give advice when never asked. I think that can become offensive whether the person intended it or not.

It is one thing to say "that car is junk" when someone is looking to buy it. It is another to run up to someone and say "your car is junk" when they never asked you about it. You can blame the other person for "chosing" to be offended and take comfort that the person gave an honest opinion. However, I just call it being offensive.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Again, you're taking a very simplistic view of "good" vs. "bad" when it comes to DVC. Like PPs have said, it wasn't DVC's growth that is the problem, it's how it chose to grow.
I put your take into the "it depends" on what type of growth category like several others. I saw that some current owners just questioned certain types of resorts as being good for current membership. However, others clearly said they prefer NO resorts be built because they preferred how DVC worked in prior years any growth was negative. At least that is what they posted. They might alter that on further reflection (who knows).

Again, this was all just a new perspective for me. I see there are different takes on what type (or any type) of growth is good for current DVC owners.

I should be more clear, I think more people would appreciate a VGF type expansion from what I have read. However, not all. I was only apologizing to the people that prefer absolutely no expansion. That camp had a view I never even considered.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
Countryrunner262
Mouseketeer
 
Countryrunner262's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: IN
Posts: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post

Actually, sometimes people are just offensive. You cannot always place that on the other person. It is not a crime or anything. I have been accused of being offensive on this very thread (and I was, because I misunderstood someone's post). It happens. I do not think it is mean spirited and almost every time it was un-intended from what I have read. That does not mean it was not offensive.

When people ask for advice, I think this board is great. However, sometimes I see people give advice when never asked. I think that can become offensive whether the person intended it or not.

It is one thing to say "that car is junk" when someone is looking to buy it. It is another to run up to someone and say "your car is junk" when they never asked you about it. You can blame the other person for "chosing" to be offended and take comfort that the person gave an honest opinion. However, I just call it being offensive.
I'm actually glad someone told me the "car" I was about to buy was "junk". I would never have known about resale. It allowed me to make a well informed decision that worked best or us.
Countryrunner262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #42
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
It is one thing to say "that car is junk" when someone is looking to buy it. It is another to run up to someone and say "your car is junk" when they never asked you about it. You can blame the other person for "chosing" to be offended and take comfort that the person gave an honest opinion. However, I just call it being offensive.
Agreed but I see essentially none of the latter.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #43
adminjedi
I use my powers for good
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Was this on a direct purchase or a resale purchase? I have to say that if you are talking about a direct purchase I find that very hard to believe.
This particular instance was a resale purchase that we owned for 2 years.
However, we do own direct purchase contracts that we could sell now and come close to break even or very little cost.
__________________


DVC MEMBER SINCE 2006
adminjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryrunner262 View Post
I'm actually glad someone told me the "car" I was about to buy was "junk". I would never have known about resale. It allowed me to make a well informed decision that worked best or us.
And that is the intent, to make sure people know their options, limitations, risks and costs. What you do with that info is up to you. However, the issue of whether you (as this example) made a good choice or not is a different matter.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #45
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryrunner262 View Post
I'm actually glad someone told me the "car" I was about to buy was "junk". I would never have known about resale. It allowed me to make a well informed decision that worked best or us.
And something else that newbies to the board don't often consider is the lurker population. For every person who posts a question, there are often a dozen or so who might have a similar question but are too shy to ask. Those of us who have been around for a while (and my seniority pales in comparison to Deb, Dean and Jim), know that when you answer a question, the audience and those looking for that answer is often far larger than just the OP of a thread.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.