Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Falmouth Jamaica Question?

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I was wondering does anyone know why Disney does not endorse Falmouth Jamaica excursions on their website? I would think they would assist in putting some excursions together at all their ports so that "Disney Guests" would be at peace of mind with their excursion.

Any suggestions for Jamaica excursions?

Anyone know the reason why Disney has no port adventure endorsements on their website for Port Adventures?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
aenan
Earning My Ears

They will post them as they get closer to their first cruise there. I believe they'll be posted early next month based on the scheduling I was looking at.
aenan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
Good Afternoon Everyone!

I was wondering does anyone know why Disney does not endorse Falmouth Jamaica excursions on their website? I would think they would assist in putting some excursions together at all their ports so that "Disney Guests" would be at peace of mind with their excursion.

Anyone know the reason why Disney has no port adventure endorsements on their website for Port Adventures?

As a PP said, they'll be posted closer to the first cruise sailing date. They have to be posted at least 120 days from the first cruise because that's when the Platinum CC members(and I think concierge guests) can book excursions.

I was in Negril, Jamaica over 20 years ago and stayed at the Beaches resort. The excursions they offered were Dunns River Falls, Cruising on the Martha Brae, shopping and horseback riding. Dunns River falls was in a James Bond movie, I think Dr. No. Cruising on the Martha Brae is where you get on a raft and a man pushes you down the river. The only excursions I did were horseback riding and shopping. Horseback riding was a little different because they use english saddles, but I wasn't impressed by the shopping. Unfortunately, it rained for two days when I was there and the rivers were so swollen we didn't get to do Dunns River Falls or the Martha Brae.

I'm pretty sure Jamaica has changed since I was there, but you will notice that it is very impoverished except in the resort areas. You may want to look at the types of excursions that other cruise ships offer that visit Falmouth to get an idea of what your options might be. You can also go to tripadvisor and see how people rate the various activities. Although the ship docks in Falmouth, you may have to travel to other cities in Jamaica to do the excursions.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

You may want to look at the types of excursions that other cruise ships offer that visit Falmouth to get an idea of what your options might be.

more specifically here's how you can get a sampling of what might be available:

this link should take you to the RCL web site, western Carib' on Freedom of the Seas - excursions in Falmouth

there are over 50

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...&Submit222.y=8

if the link doesn't work for you just navigate as I've described . . .

RCL's site
select cruises on Freedom of the Seas
first listing that comes up for me is western Carib' sailing which visits Fal' - select that one
select shore and land excursions
limit choices to Fal' port only ....

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Because they haven't been there yet. There will be some posted when it's closer to the first date they are scheduled to sail there.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
jbrock2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Good Afternoon Everyone!

We took a cruise w Celebrity a few yrs back that docked in Falmouth. We did the zip line & climbed dunns river falls combo booked thru the ship. It was the best yet most humbling experience ever. As we drove up a mountain I saw ppl were living in very poor conditions one house was actually a small shipping container. Homes were built very small & on the sides of the mountains. We had great tour guides & I felt safe there even when it didnt seem like there was enough road at times up the mountain. The best adrenaline rush tho zip lining!
jbrock2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Hokeysmoke
Helping my DW/D/S visit Disney as often as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
As a PP said, they'll be posted closer to the first cruise sailing date. They have to be posted at least 120 days from the first cruise because that's when the Platinum CC members(and I think concierge guests) can book excursions.
It's getting pretty close. The first sailing to Falmouth leaves in 138 days (October 5th on the Wonder).

”That’s the real trouble with the world - too many people grow up” - Walt Disney
Hokeysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

We did the Heritage Walking Tour (http://falmouthheritagewalks.com/) and really enjoyed it. Just our family on the walk - had a great young guide. After the tour we stopped for some delicious jerk chicken and Red Stripe beer! I didn't feel it was worth it to drive long distances for any of the excursions. We had no hassles walking around Falmouth.
[SIZE="1"]1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
RGCruise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Dunn's River Falls is a good excursion to go on.
RGCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
EeyoreIsMyName
Mouseketeer

The Disney Parks Blog had some information on the excursions in Jamaica:

"Now, with just four months until our first cruise calls on Jamaica, I want to show you some of the exciting and iconic experiences Disney Cruise Line guests can enjoy from the historical port of Falmouth.

Bobsled Jamaica and Dunn’s River Falls – I am sure the young ones are thinking – bobsled in Jamaica? Moms and dads, help me out here! This incredible mountain coaster offers an exciting thrill along with amazing views of the sea, all inspired by the famous Jamaican national bobsleigh team, which debuted in the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim – One of the few places in the world that offer such a unique activity. For horse lovers, this is the ultimate fun in the sun combination.
18th Century Great House and Plantation Tour with Lunch – Care to “taste” some of the history? Tour one of the best-preserved Great Houses in Jamaica and the Plantation. Next, savor the world-famous jerk spices during a delicious lunch!

Today, I want to tell you about our Signature Collection Port Adventures, tours that have been specifically designed for and are exclusive to Disney Cruise Line guests.

Bamboo Raft Captain for a Day – Traveling down the Martha Brae River on a two-person bamboo raft is quite a popular excursion in Jamaica, but have you ever wondered what it is like to be the captain? On this experience, only Disney Cruise Line guests will follow a bamboo raft captain, learn how to build the raft and navigate these clear waters.

Family Pottery Painting and Studio Tour – Local art is one of the best ways to understand Jamaican culture, past and present. On this amazing experience nestled around an 18th Century Great House, families will enjoy a hands-on pottery painting activity hosted by a local renowned artist.

Chukka’s Amazing Race – Combining some of the most exciting experiences offered around the Plantation estate, guests will solve clues and experience a multitude of thrills: kayaking, tubing and zip lining. Lots of fun!"

For pictures and more information you can go to the Disney Parks Blog website archives and select Disney Cruise Line and the articles will appear.

Hope this helps!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: