Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

With three daughters what resort?

I am being so indecisive this time! We have the grandparents coming and they have said book wherever so now I have free reign and cannot decide. I was convinced on poly/cr split stay until DH said no split stays. Then I threw AKL into the mix as it looks amazing! And now I just read how great the GF is for girls with the splash pad area and tea parties! With three little girls this sounds cute too!

How do I decide???
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I would sit down with them and show them some pics from each resort and see what they like!

Each one has its own distinctive theme and appearance, so it would be good to give them an idea of what is unique about each one.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

What a great dilemma to have!
I just want to point out that the GF is easy to get to, and you don't have to be staying there to do the tea party or the tea room there, so don't let that be the deciding factor. We have done tea there on MK and EPCOT days before, and are planning to have tea in the tea room (not the "tea party" this time) on our upcoming trip, even though we will be staying at the Yacht Club. I think the girls will love it no matter where you are, so just go with what looks nice to you! The Poly does have nice sized rooms. Will you and your girls be in one room and the grandparents in another or considering suites or a different arrangement?

Just noticed it looks like you are familiar with WDW. Do you have a favorite park? That might help make the decision based on area that is more convenient. Unfortunately, that's not likely to steer you toward AKL unless AK is the favorite. It might be nice to minimize transportation times. How old are the girls? Are they (and you) likely to love riding on the buses or is that something to be avoided on this trip (if strollers are an issue and you don't want to drive or deal with folding them up, that might rule out AKL.) Do you like boats? If at Wilderness Lodge and you love MK, you'll enjoy the boat ride over. (You can also take the boat from Poly, GF & Contemporary, of course, which is how we got to tea the last time.) Otherwise, pick a theme you like and don't look back! (Or get to know the folks on the "resort changers" thread, lol!)
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!

Last edited by wishing4PA; 05-15-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: oops left off the CR!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
princessap
DIS Veteran

I agree it is a good dilemma!

We will be in one room and grandparents in another. They really want to experience the thrill of disney with our girls so they want to do it all...my mil is treating them to BBb and maybe pirates league too (she will do it too!)
The parks will be great if I could ever decide where to stay!

The GF doesn't really appeal to me but the Alice in wonderland splash pad sounds adorable! What is the difference between teal arty and tea room? My oldest would love to do that I think!

We stayed first time onsite this year at the poly for two nights and loved it! Would go back in a heartbeat if construction wasnt planned but also wondering if we should do it again now before it changes so much. I have always wanted to stay cr but would do garden wing if we could not afford TPV so is it still that convenient for MK?

Is AKL too far away when MK and Epcot will be most visited parks?

Last edited by princessap; 05-15-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am being so indecisive this time! We have the grandparents coming and they have said book wherever so now I have free reign and cannot decide. I was convinced on poly/cr split stay until DH said no split stays. Then I threw AKL into the mix as it looks amazing! And now I just read how great the GF is for girls with the splash pad area and tea parties! With three little girls this sounds cute too!

How do I decide???
You're just making things harder for yourself, aren't you??

Now that you've thrown the GF into the mix, that is something to think about . Even though the Poly is our favorite resort overall, we do love the GF. It is a beautiful resort and is convenient to MK as it's only 1 stop away on the monorail. The rooms are comparable in size to the Poly and CR and everything is still easily accessible (i.e., variety of dining options along the monorail line, ease of getting to MK, etc.). I think any resort you choose will be great, but it seems (to me) that you REALLY want to be on the monorail. With that said, I think a monorail resort would be the best choice (but that's just my opinion). The GF has a better theme than CR (IMO), and with little girls, I think I would choose that over the CR if you try something new. Good luck .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Pick the resort YOU like best! Your daughters will be happy wherever they are of your options because they are at Disney World! I would probably nix AKL because it seems like most time will be spent at MK. Alternatively let DH or the grandparents pick. Or price them out and take the cheapest option. All of your options are great so you can't really lose.

That said, you should definitely try a new resort f only to satisfy your curiosity. If you don't like it as much as the poly you will know you have found your home resort!

Last edited by chasgoose; 05-15-2013 at 08:13 AM.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
You're just making things harder for yourself, aren't you??

Now that you've thrown the GF into the mix, that is something to think about . Even though the Poly is our favorite resort overall, we do love the GF. It is a beautiful resort and is convenient to MK as it's only 1 stop away on the monorail. The rooms are comparable in size to the Poly and CR and everything is still easily accessible (i.e., variety of dining options along the monorail line, ease of getting to MK, etc.). I think any resort you choose will be great, but it seems (to me) that you REALLY want to be on the monorail. With that said, I think a monorail resort would be the best choice (but that's just my opinion). The GF has a better theme than CR (IMO), and with little girls, I think I would choose that over the CR if you try something new. Good luck .
I am torturing myself

I would love to do AKL but my DH nixed it because he read the rooms are smaller and he liked the convenience of the monorail. Maybe we can do a dinner there to satisfy my curiosity! LOL.

I am thinking that I would only want to do cr if I can do TPV but the price of garden wing and close proximity to MK is so enticing! Is cr worth it for garden wing??

I showed my oldest GF and she wants to do the tea party there now! Lol. I am creating disney lovers! Lol
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing4PA View Post
What a great dilemma to have!
I just want to point out that the GF is easy to get to, and you don't have to be staying there to do the tea party or the tea room there, so don't let that be the deciding factor. We have done tea there on MK and EPCOT days before, and are planning to have tea in the tea room (not the "tea party" this time) on our upcoming trip, even though we will be staying at the Yacht Club. I think the girls will love it no matter where you are, so just go with what looks nice to you! The Poly does have nice sized rooms. Will you and your girls be in one room and the grandparents in another or considering suites or a different arrangement?

Just noticed it looks like you are familiar with WDW. Do you have a favorite park? That might help make the decision based on area that is more convenient. Unfortunately, that's not likely to steer you toward AKL unless AK is the favorite. It might be nice to minimize transportation times. How old are the girls? Are they (and you) likely to love riding on the buses or is that something to be avoided on this trip (if strollers are an issue and you don't want to drive or deal with folding them up, that might rule out AKL.) Do you like boats? If at Wilderness Lodge and you love MK, you'll enjoy the boat ride over. (You can also take the boat from Poly, GF & Contemporary, of course, which is how we got to tea the last time.) Otherwise, pick a theme you like and don't look back! (Or get to know the folks on the "resort changers" thread, lol!)
Thanks. Our favorite park is MK and we want to do all four this time. I am a disney lover but have only done MK and ak. We are excited to do all the parks this time. We will do two days if not three at MK. Epcot for one day and DHS one day and AK a half day probably. This is kind of our big trip for a while
I would go every year but not DH and since he pays he has a say.

We will have one stroller with us which is why I am leaning towards monorail. If AKL was on the monorail it would win for sure!

I am also looking for resorts that the grandparents can do lots of stuff on too. I know CR has fishing, boating etc which my FIL would like. And we want to golf as well but I think they cab you to the courses from any resort so that isn't a consideration really.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Sounds like it will be a fun trip! As for the teas, basically there is an "Alice in Wonderland" type "tea party" for girls up to a certain age. My dd loved it when she was 4, but that was 4 1/2 years ago, so I'm not sure what has changed. The girls got checked into the party and parents were told not to peek in lol. That was okay, DH & I went and had a nice mini-meal at the GF cafe. Maybe our only "romantic" meal all year - meaning just the 2 of us. DD got a nice pic of her and Alice & the Mad Hatter, but now that she's 9, she's outgrown it.

The other tea option is in the GF's Garden View Tea Room. It has the feel of a fancy English afternoon tea for elegant ladies (and the occasional gentleman.) We also did this when she was 4, treating it as an early dinner while DH ate some big sloppy burger back at the resort. There are a number of options, but what we had was basically sandwiches and tea with fancy little mini desserts. I loved it, but felt like DD had to be on her best behavior! Fortunately, at that age she was all into playing grown up lady, and put on quite the show of acting like a grown up! We have reservations to have tea there again this summer, and at least this time it won't be so difficult for her not to squirm. I am so looking forward to it!

Edited: Oops! I forgot about the other "tea" since it has never really been under consideration for me. Then someone mentioned it in another thread. It's the "My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party", and hopefully someone else can give you more info on that.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!

Last edited by wishing4PA; 05-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

I have had 3 girls since '06...

We have stayed at

WLV
BWV
SSR
Poly

Will be staying at YC (and SSR) next

Youngest was 4m when she first went this time she's a month shy of 7.

Kiddos will be 6,10&13

My girls aren't into any gender specific things however they really LOVED the Poly when we stayed there (last time at 3, 7 & 10)...I have a feeling they will like YC just as much-if not more because of the pool.

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Simba's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
disd55
Mouseketeer

AKL or GF would definitely be great for the kids. AKL offers a lot for a cheaper deluxe price, with those beautiful safari/savannah views, as it isn't nearly as pricey as GF but if your budget is unlimited try GF as it is a beautiful resort! And with great proximity to MK.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

I never thought of the GF as a great place for kids, but DDs and I (they're 7 and 4) had tea there this weekend and the girls were totally enchanted by the place. I will never forget the sight of the two of them floating down the staircase from the monorail to the first floor, holding their dresses out like princesses. They're already begging to stay there next time.
Anonomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
princessap
DIS Veteran

What tea party did you do? My oldest dd wants to do the alice in wonderland tea party next time. Did your girls like it? was it worth money?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

We just did the regular tea in the Garden View tea room. It was about $60 for all three of us. We all loved it -- DDs felt so grown up and it was just a very nice experience.
Anonomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

I would give the GF a try!

I stayed there with my mom and older sister a year and a half ago for a girls-only trip and we loved it! Beautiful grounds, nice view of the castle, big rooms, music in the lobby every evening, proximity to the MK and other monorail resorts... lots going for it if you can justify the price tag! We also tried the afternoon tea one day and thought it was lovely.

All this being said, I would not hesitate to stay at the CR if that is where your heart lies. Personally, though, I would not stay at the CR again unless it is in a tower room overlooking the MK. The resort grounds leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the Poly/GF and we just would have preferred to be in the middle of everything with that great view (we were in a garden wing). I do think the CR room decor is nice.

Still, GF would be my personal pick. Just more beautiful and "girly" IMO.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: