Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
ammag
DIS Veteran

What age did your child stop believing the characters are real?

Yes I know many adults here will say they are real lol. Curious what your families experiences have been? My dd believed it all at 5.5 even the fairy shrinking room...but as time goes on I wonder what will happen..I see some questioning questions starting to crop up. I think she will be be of those.."the fur ones are fake but the princesses are real" kids for awhile. She knows costumed characters in things like disney on ice are not the actual ones, because they live in disney world and don't ice skate professionally. Her words.
ammag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

I think I was about 6 or 7? I used to believe it all as well, then started to realize things and it went from there.
disneyshakeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I don't know that my younger 2 ever really believed but they didn't spoil it for my oldest who at 7 asked if she could see a photo of the incredibles from the parks. When she saw the photo she asked if they were just a real person in a costume. Then about 20 seconds later "what about Pooh?(her favorite)". I was fearful our next trip might be missing some of the magic but we always find it. She will be 14 next week and still loves Pooh.
lovesdumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Mine never believed they were.It didn't diminish any of the magic
Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
RalphinSC
Founder of the Daft Brotherhood of the Ubiquitous Mugshare

What do you mean by saying the characters aren't real?

Myself 35 , DW 33 , DS 10

March 2011 ASMo
June 2012 Pop Century
June 2014 Bringing extended family Pop Century

My Family of the Day Experience With Pictures 6/8/2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2939320
My Little Guy's Disney Surprise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933866
RalphinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
rebekah8284
Earning My Ears

Well my oldest niece knew they were people in costumes by the age of 8 but we told her that if on our trip if she spoiled it for the other children that she would spend the rest of the trip in the hotel room. So she agreed to keep the magic alive for the other kids.

My other two nieces when they were 6 we had a conversation about native Americans and pocahantas and not even thinking about the disney movie I said that she had lived a long time ago. My niece then said but what do you mean we saw her at Disney on our trip last year? And I was just thinking oh crap why did disney have to do a movie about a real person! ! I managed to convince them that even though it was an actress playing pocahantas all the other characters are real lol. So they are 8 now and still believe I think it just depends on the child.

rebekah8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Neither of mine ever believed the characters were real. They also never believed in the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny either. Both did believe in Santa when they were preschoolers. They both however have always and still LOVE WDW and the youngest one loves the characters. The Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy still comes for the little one(6) and we play and have fun just like we do with the characters, but he does know the truth. We never told our boys any of these things were not real but we do confirm the truth if they directly ask in when we know is a legitimate question. It's just the kind of kids we have.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Blessedwithboys
Mouseketeer

Our first trip was last year. My then 4 year old was trying to figure it all out you could tell. He announced that he wanted to be a stormtroopers at Disney when he grew up and repeatably told my then 18month old not to be scared of Vader because he was just dressed up. But still thought that all the face characters were the 'real' deal and for some reason felt the same way about Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy. I am not sure what his rational was. But it did not effect our trip at all. Meeting characters was his favorite part of the trip!
Blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Mom2Stitch
Mouseketeer

My DS was 7 when I knew that he knew, but here's the story....

We were at WDW in DTD, just hanging out and he says to me "Mom, other kids tell me that Mickey is just some person in a costume" Not wanting to lie to him and not wanting to ruin anything for him either, I asked him what he thought. His answer-"I know it's a costume, but when we are in Disney they are all real"

Isn't that the truth of it all?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
AladdinToMy4YO
Earning My Ears

never

Never, if they did, they'd lose their college fund. Okay, just kidding. I don't think our kids ever thought they were "real" but just part of the overall Disney magic. From seeing my youngest finally get the nerve to walk up to Minnie and give her a hug where Minnie gave her an extra long hug (chills down the spine) to the Disney princesses this past January giving my buddy and I an extra special congratulations upon seeing our Disney Half Marathon medals (1st half). Special.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
JenCin78
Mouseketeer

DS is 7 and is definitely not into the characters anymore. He realized that it is a costume and there are people inside. He's all about the rides which is fine-Disney means different things to everyone. Now my DD who's 5 is terrified of masked characters but LOVES her Princesses This upcoming trip is really for her as I'm not sure how much longer the Princess phase will last and I want to embrace it for as long as possible.

1st trip 1986-camped at Jellystone campground, April 2012 offsite Bonnet Creek, June 2013 our first stay on property at Yacht Club!
JenCin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
skinsfan2878
Mouseketeer

My little girl was around 6. She still likes doing the bbb but the character meetings aren't as important to her anymore. Broke my heart.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

WHAT???

They're not real???????

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I think my son was about 6 when he said "I'm pretty sure that's someone in a suit Mom" after we met Tigger at Crystal Palace. However, it didn't change anything. He's 9 now and still just excited to meet his favourites. My dd who is 16 will still stand in line for pictures with characters to put on her Facebook. It's still just as fun as it ever was
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Mine never believed they were.It didn't diminish any of the magic
same here. my sons are only 17 months apart so pretty much did and knew about stuff at the same time so we didn't ever have to tell the older one to not tell the younger.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: