Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Marvels Iron Man gets a ride in Disney Hong Kong

Today Disney announced that Disney Hong Kong will be getting a Iron Man ride. This is Disney's first marvel themed ride since Disney purchased it in 2009. Besides this ride Disney is also adding marvel themes to the Disney Magic when it undergoes a complete overhaul soon. The attraction will be based on the Tony Stark expo, and guests will be able to see the stark suits in person. The ride vehicle will take guests in flight on an adventure with Iron Man. The adventure will take place in the streets of Hong Kong. What do you think? Will it be a success? Will we see more marvel at more international Disney theme parks?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...yland-in-2016/

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

wonderful !as I plan on going late 2016 !
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

I think you will see several more rides/shows based on Marvel characters and other Disney parks, maybe even in the United States!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Wow, that looks amazing! It's such a shame that WDW can't benefit from Marvel in the parks.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
I think you will see several more rides/shows based on Marvel characters and other Disney parks, maybe even in the United States!
It's only a matter of time and money.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
RJP77
Earning My Ears

So what exactly are the restrictions on the use of the Marvel characters in the U.S. WD Parks? I know Universal's has an exclusive licence for their parks, but is there an expiry date on that licence? Does it cover all of Florida and California, or are there geographic limitations on the proximity to Universal parks?
RJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP77 View Post
So what exactly are the restrictions on the use of the Marvel characters in the U.S. WD Parks? I know Universal's has an exclusive licence for their parks, but is there an expiry date on that licence? Does it cover all of Florida and California, or are there geographic limitations on the proximity to Universal parks?
I believe Universal has theme park rights for Marvel East of the Mississippi in perpetuity. If/when Anaheim builds its long planned 3rd gate Marvel will likely have a large park presence there.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Awesome!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
I believe Universal has theme park rights for Marvel East of the Mississippi in perpetuity. If/when Anaheim builds its long planned 3rd gate Marvel will likely have a large park presence there.
This is correct. Universal owns the theme park rights east of the Mississippi and in Japan (though they only own the Japanese rights for another decade or so - the Florida rights are in perpetuity).

Here's an article that explains the ownership of DC Comics and Marvel rights, if anyone is interested: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3558/

This article mentions what I think is one of the funnier aspects of the Marvel rights - Disney can promote Marvel movies on its WDW monorail loops (like it did for "Iron Man 3"), but only on the MK loops, not the Epcot loop. This is because the MK monorails don't enter a theme park, but the Epcot monorail does, & Disney can't use Marvel characters "inside" the theme park!

When it comes to movie rights, Disney doesn't even own all the Marvel characters. This article lists who owns whom: http://www.comicvine.com/marvel/4010...they-a-666672/

"Sony: Spider-Man and Ghost Rider (and all related villains, characters, etc.)
Fox: X-Men, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four (and all related villains, characters, etc.)
Marvel Studios/Disney: All the characters that aren't affiliated with Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four."

AFAIK, Universal owns all the "theme park" rights to the Marvel characters, but even if they sold the theme park rights to Disney, it doesn't mean that they would automatically put them in the parks, since they don't own the movie rights to them.

It does make me wonder how much Disney could "blur" the theme park / resort distinction. For example, Disney could easily build a Marvel-themed resort (or re-theme an existing resort). For example, I could see Disney re-theming one of the All-Star resorts as Marvel.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Disney should swoop in and just buy DC Comics while no one is looking. Forget Marvel.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~I just don't know what happened to DC comics, but the new Batman is tired, it's become too dark and I do not like Bain. The first Joker was the best villian and the first Batman was the best Batman and it's been downhill since then. Superman gets a mild ***yawn*** from me. The only DC hero I love is Wonder Woman -- the old cute Wonder Woman not that big beastly muscle building one I've been seeing on the internet! I wish Marvel could steal Wonder Woman, she's so fabulous.

~ETA: How could I forget about Catwoman? Anyway, same thing -- the first Catwoman in the Batman film was also the best one. I wish Marvel could steal her, too.

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 10-10-2013 at 01:42 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: