Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
camgenemmysmom
Earning My Ears

Do you count your child in a highchair for adr?

First post! I have been on these boards nonstop since we decided to plan a trip to Disney, which was about a year ago! I have always found threads that answered all my questions but I finally have a question I can't seem to find a thread for. So here is my first question (I apologize in advance if this is obvious and that is why no one else has asked ) we technically have 5 people in our family: me, dh, ds, dd1, dd2. Question is my dd2 will be 18 months and still sitting in a highchair so do they count a highchair as part of the party or can I make adr for 4?
camgenemmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgenemmysmom View Post
First post! I have been on these boards nonstop since we decided to plan a trip to Disney, which was about a year ago! I have always found threads that answered all my questions but I finally have a question I can't seem to find a thread for. So here is my first question (I apologize in advance if this is obvious and that is why no one else has asked ) we technically have 5 people in our family: me, dh, ds, dd1, dd2. Question is my dd2 will be 18 months and still sitting in a highchair so do they count a highchair as part of the party or can I make adr for 4?
Every body counts for the ADR number, no matter their age or type of seat.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

Agree everyone counts, hoever if you can not get an ADR for 5, I would book it for 4 and when you get there tell them you need a highchair as well. (this could be helpful at popular places like Be Our Guest.

Have a great trip.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
catne
DIS Veteran

I would not recommend booking a table for 4 if there is really going to be 5 of you because you run the risk of losing your chance for a reasonable wait time on the table.

Keep in mind that Disney will not put a party of 5 at a 4-top table...Disney tables are tiny and a 4 top is barely big enough for 4 people. The tables are usually lined up very close to each other in the Disney restaurants, with barely enough space between tables for a skinny person to get through so they will not just put a high chair on the end. You will have to wait until a 6-top opens up...which could be an hour or more depending on the restaurant.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

I would recommend if you can't get an ADR for 5 go for 6. In very popular eateries they may be booked tightly enough that there will not be space for an extra seat/highchair.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
samacita
Mouseketeer

Our party will be 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby. Not speaking from experience, but I have been advised on these boards to book a 5 or 6 person ADR even though our littlest will be held the whole time. It is silly to me that we only need 4 chairs (and no high chair!) but will end up at a 6-top table! It's a better option, though, than arriving for a 4 person ADR and being told that one person can't come in (which I'm told does happen if you show up with more than your ADR number).
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Queen of Pop
Earning My Ears

I have been told by a cast member that the number has to be correct due to fire code.
Queen of Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
ses1230
DIS Veteran

You have to count the baby, so if it was me and there was nothing available for a party of 5, I would try a for party of 6.

I would not chance making the reservation for just 4 people, especially at the more popular places.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgenemmysmom View Post
Well, think about it. You will have a highchair. Where would that highchair go? In a spot where a regular chair would go. You still need that space. You can't just put the highchair in an aisle. Yes, I know some restaurants will do that but Disney won't. So, as others have said, you are a party of five.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhouseofmouse View Post
Agree everyone counts, hoever if you can not get an ADR for 5, I would book it for 4 and when you get there tell them you need a highchair as well. (this could be helpful at popular places like Be Our Guest.

Have a great trip.
I'm sorry, but this is not good advice. By booking 4 instead of 5 they will have you placed at a smaller table than what you really need. At best you may have a bit of a wait while the proper size table opens up. The worst would be they are unable to seat you at all.

There is a CM who posts here very often. They have stated that Disney is on to people who under-count guests in order to get a table. They will seat the extra person if they can, but they are under no obligation to do so.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
rebekah8284
Earning My Ears

When we went to CRT with my niece who was one we stated that she would be with us in our reservation as we needed the space for the high chair there were 6 of us in total. And even though we did not pay for her meal our waiter did bring out food for her and a dessert :-) I would tell them you are a party of 5 would be horrible if you didn't tell them and then they couldn't seat you.

rebekah8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I'm sorry, but this is not good advice. By booking 4 instead of 5 they will have you placed at a smaller table than what you really need. At best you may have a bit of a wait while the proper size table opens up. The worst would be they are unable to seat you at all.

There is a CM who posts here very often. They have stated that Disney is on to people who under-count guests in order to get a table. They will seat the extra person if they can, but they are under no obligation to do so.
Correct. I never traveled with children before. I made the ADRs, then read the threads a few months later you needed to count the highchair because it does take up room. I was able to upgrade - unfortunately we went from 6 to 7 - for all but two. Both, we took turns holding the little guy.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, you must include the baby.

If you want to try an even number if you have 5, look for 6 rather than 4, because it cannot be guaranteed that they will accept a larger party than was booked.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

I know this is going to come off like I’m being a jerk…but really just trying to help…

I'm sorry I should have addressed the.... yeah if you can't get a ressie for 5: try and waste time with going to 6. Seeing how most tables are set up in even numbers right?? So If you can not get a 5 top table, you are not going to get a 6 top right??? Am I wrong, there are not a lot of 5 top tables out there! the system is looking for 6 top tables to put 5 people.

Also I'm pretty sure you don't always need a chair spot to put a highchair, there are spots in all restaurants you can put a highchair at a table of 4, right??. However the ressie system does not recognize these spots, so you cannot reserve them.)

All I’m saying is if you can't get it for 5 try 4....Disney is NOT going to turn you away for not counting a highchair!!. (yeah you might have to wait longer, but not turn you away and you can still enjoy the restaurants of your choice without upsetting the balance of the universe) Again the restaurants are more flexible then the ressie system.

Sorry, not trying to give bad advise, just trying to be more helpful and giving another option. (one that will work more often then trying to reserve parties of 6 when searches of 5 didn't work)

Whatever you do, I hope it works and I hope you have a great trip.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sorry. But it IS possible that your extra person will be turned away, no matter what their age is. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: