Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
mom2d&b
DIS Veteran

Contemporary Construction

Can anyone tell me what they are doing in regards to the construction in front of the Contemporary?
mom2d&b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
jmorrisey1204
Earning My Ears

They are expanding bus stops in front of MK
jmorrisey1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrisey1204 View Post
They are expanding bus stops in front of MK
The obvious answer motive is to expand the capabilities of the bus stops and allow for better transportation...

but i'm going to take a broader implication approach (my first time ) and say that this could potentially (theory) be a step that may lead to two other things down the line:

1. Allowing for the polynesian to "steal" some space away from the TTC (i.e. eliminating some of the bus service from there)for the yet to be announced but completely obvious DVC expansion...

2. Allowing for more capacity at MK for the eventual elimination of the monorail system. don't laugh...its coming.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
larry_poppins
Mouseketeer

OK if the monorails are going to be leaving, is this "future" for day guests? People spending $500 a night to sleep in the Poly of the GF? Or are they leaving for everyone?

Thanks,

Larry
larry_poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

The construction is to expand the bus stop. Disney will soon incorporate the reticulated busses (the bus and a half) and with their turn radius, can't maneuver in the current bus stop, the outer wrap design is also changing. I've confirmed this with several co-workers, also you can see a couple busses with the new black and red design starting to drive around on property.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post
OK if the monorails are going to be leaving, is this "future" for day guests? People spending $500 a night to sleep in the Poly of the GF? Or are they leaving for everyone?

Thanks,

Larry
I think at this point that its painfully obvious that TWDC want rid of the monorails...particularly in florida.

those trains are long overdue for replacement...and there has been no interest in either that or further use of the system.

As far as the room rates at the "monorail" hotels...well they're getting ripped off. have been for years and will continue to be. and the preservation of the monorail does little to affect this. its' not "worth it" with the trains nor will it be very much "less worth it" without.

anyway...i'm just kicking the can...just theories from me

i couldnt find any bus drivers to ask
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
The construction is to expand the bus stop. Disney will soon incorporate the reticulated busses (the bus and a half) and with their turn radius, can't maneuver in the current bus stop, the outer wrap design is also changing. I've confirmed this with several co-workers, also you can see a couple busses with the new black and red design starting to drive around on property.
Articulated buses have a greater turn radius than standard 40' buses. The adjustment necessary is to provide stop areas that are large enough to house the buses when they are picking up/dropping off passengers.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
Articulated buses have a greater turn radius than standard 40' buses. The adjustment necessary is to provide stop areas that are large enough to house the buses when they are picking up/dropping off passengers.
just to clarify-- a greater turn radius means they need more space to turn-- I would think they would have a lesser turn radius, which is what I think you are saying.
beer dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I know that's what he's trying to say.

I think that killing the monorail would be a seriously hard set to the guests. The Monorail is so iconic to the parks. But as said, they don't seem to be investing much in it...the only real investment lately, aside from the replacement of the two damaged trainsets, was the addition of a maintenance stub spur.

But I'd also need more information to decide if the trainsets actually need to be replaced wholesale.

I could see potentially shutting down the Epcot beam though.

Stealing space from the TTC for the Poly would be a problem - the buses are actually on the opposite end, and isn't in a good position for much of anything. They'd actually have to take the ferry dock area instead. Much more and they'd have to take/relocate the monorail platforms (which if they were shutting down the monorail itself, doesn't matter).
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

Having been a monorail pilot in the past, and maintaining good connections with the department:
Monorails aren't going away soon. 10, 12 years maybe, but Disney is spending a cool 30 million in automating the system. There is currently a trailer somewhere near central shops with the team dedicated to designing the automation.
Trains will always have a "Pilot" on board, but mostly for contingency. The hope is to prevent trains from stopping at hold points. The trains will slow down automatically to prevent stopping on the open beam way.
One of the biggest reasons the monorails are inefficient is the pilot. 20 year old trains can't be driven the way most 20-30 year olds drive. You can't B4 to P5 and back again constantly. They need love.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
just to clarify-- a greater turn radius means they need more space to turn-- I would think they would have a lesser turn radius, which is what I think you are saying.
And that's why everyone should proof-read their own posts.

Articulated buses are able to make tighter turns than standard buses.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailLime View Post
Having been a monorail pilot in the past, and maintaining good connections with the department:
Monorails aren't going away soon. 10, 12 years maybe, but Disney is spending a cool 30 million in automating the system. There is currently a trailer somewhere near central shops with the team dedicated to designing the automation.
Trains will always have a "Pilot" on board, but mostly for contingency. The hope is to prevent trains from stopping at hold points. The trains will slow down automatically to prevent stopping on the open beam way.
One of the biggest reasons the monorails are inefficient is the pilot. 20 year old trains can't be driven the way most 20-30 year olds drive. You can't B4 to P5 and back again constantly. They need love.
good to hear-- I hope you are right.

I would think the cost of removing the monorail tracks would come close to the cost of new trains. Maybe they could paint trees on them.
beer dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I remember when the Bombardier trains went on line. Disney had to "up" the electrical capacity as they trains were such power hogs. If they replace the trains with efficient models no reason they can't be cheaper to operate then buses. Besides we hate buses and resist using them. Getting rid of the monorails will just increase traffic on the roads and will make their guests angry. I remember back in the 80s when they stopped all boat service on Bay Lake. Took years of writing nasty letters to get it restarted. We own at BLT so we will not change where we stay but will just drive to the Poly or GF instead of taking the monorail. Just does not make sense on their part but they again they are also the ones that thought standardizing products would also be a good idea. I do like the automation idea. The trains around Washington are automated and work quite well.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

2. Allowing for more capacity at MK for the eventual elimination of the monorail system. don't laugh...its coming.
Do you have inside information, or is this just something that you believe will happen?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
The articulated bus has a turning radius a little less than 4 ft wider than the standard bus. But what they need is extra distance to pull in straight to the stop. It's not really about turning radius but stop length.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: