Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Elmo007
Mouseketeer

Any reason not to make DHS Bigger?

I was looking at Google maps and it seems like there is space to expand DHS. If they were to eliminate the second road from world drive to the parking lot, it looks like they could expand into a now undeveloped area between the park and the art of animation resort. The best part of this is that the area I am thinking of is right behind star tours and that could become the gateway to the proposed star wars land.

Is there any reason they could not do it this way? I know they were talking about getting rid of the Muppets, but I think that will be an ongoing franchise for a while as they have a new movie coming out.
Elmo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo007 View Post
I was looking at Google maps and it seems like there is space to expand DHS. If they were to eliminate the second road from world drive to the parking lot, it looks like they could expand into a now undeveloped area between the park and the art of animation resort. The best part of this is that the area I am thinking of is right behind star tours and that could become the gateway to the proposed star wars land.

Is there any reason they could not do it this way? I know they were talking about getting rid of the Muppets, but I think that will be an ongoing franchise for a while as they have a new movie coming out.
The "second road" as you call it is actually the primary entrance. The one off Buena Vista Drive is the "back" entrance.

But even if they re-routed the main entrance, it was mentioned in another thread that RCID may consider the land in that area unsuitable for building, so it is held as conservation land.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Here is the section of the RCID map showing DHS. The areas in dark green are considered un-suitable for construction, light green are marginally suitable and the red is suitable.

DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

I think the only expansion we could see would be behind Star Tours and behind Beauty and the Beast. Like the PP said, the land on that road leading through the main entrance to HS isn't ideal for an expansion.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnKim913 View Post
I think the only expansion we could see would be behind Star Tours and behind Beauty and the Beast. Like the PP said, the land on that road leading through the main entrance to HS isn't ideal for an expansion.
There isn't a lot of space left behind Beauty and the Beast. A new back stage building was put up recently directly behind the theatre (for the show CM's I would guess), and a new entrance path for Fantasmic was also recently created in that area.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Elmo007
Mouseketeer

Cool Map

Looking at the map, lets go crazy then. Build a star wars land in the area across world drive and build some sort of star wars theme transport over the highway. Sound expensive but could be cool and will open up the park
Elmo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
vandy
Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo007 View Post
Looking at the map, lets go crazy then. Build a star wars land in the area across world drive and build some sort of star wars theme transport over the highway. Sound expensive but could be cool and will open up the park
If we are going to think big and to heck with a budget, how about putting the parking lot across World Drive, put a bridge in and let the trams shuttle people back and forth over what is now the main entrance off of World Drive (S Studio Drive). Two lanes for trams going both directions and two lanes for WDW buses. This will free up the current parking lot for park expansion, which appears to be just as large as the current park. Plenty of room now for both Star Wars and Cars, plus now room for more dining options and gift shops.I would suspect people won't mind parking a little farther away and riding the shuttle, but some would have a problem with being shuttled between sections of the park.

vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Someone over on WDWMagic is saying that the park is going to be "smaller" but hasn't clarified exactly what he meant.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/w...ebuilt.867235/
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I would expect any change that involves Star Wars/Cars/Pixar to both expand the park and replacing aging elements of the park. The trick in my mind would be to keep enough attractions open during the expansion so as not to diminish interest in a park that already has trouble attracting the full attention of WDW visitors.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I actually wonder of re-routing World Drive - or even eliminating that section and routing traffic over Osceola to Buena Vista and/or Victory Way, might be cheaper than having to devise a way to go over/under...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I actually wonder of re-routing World Drive - or even eliminating that section and routing traffic over Osceola to Buena Vista and/or Victory Way, might be cheaper than having to devise a way to go over/under...
I've not been to Disneyland in CA, but my sister tells me that when they visited, there were certain attractions where they crossed the street while in line. I can't picture it myself, but I gather it might be necessary.

I could see maybe going under the road to get to a new section of the park, but if they don't have existing tunnels, perhaps having the road tunnel under and the park cross over might be a better idea.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I've not been to Disneyland in CA, but my sister tells me that when they visited, there were certain attractions where they crossed the street while in line. I can't picture it myself, but I gather it might be necessary.

I could see maybe going under the road to get to a new section of the park, but if they don't have existing tunnels, perhaps having the road tunnel under and the park cross over might be a better idea.
I don't know of any case where someone has to cross a major, busy road at DL in an attraction line. The parks don't have public access roads passing through them. so I don't know what is meant by "crossed the street".

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
boreas154
DisDads #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post

While a very good suggestion, it is not very feasible. The water table in much of Florida is very close to the surface. Keep in mind, the 'tunnels' under MK are actually at ground level. MK was built on top of it.
boreas154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
While a very good suggestion, it is not very feasible. The water table in much of Florida is very close to the surface. Keep in mind, the 'tunnels' under MK are actually at ground level. MK was built on top of it.
New Disney Trivia Every day!

I could see possibly rerouting the whole road, maybe... I just don't know that any type of bridging solution would work well for pedestrian traffic in the theme park without "breaking" the experience. Perhaps a pedestrian bridge to Carsland with signs saying "look - actual cars!".
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
The existing tunnels they do have can flood easily as well.

Tunneling is also quite a bit more expensive than an overpass, especially when trying to do so under an active area.

Hmm...maybe make Star Tours a little more useful...board a Star Speeder, and have a virtual trip to Tatooine, while actually being moved across the road...

You know...kind of like the upcoming Hogwarts Express.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: